The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 10, 2013, 05:38 PM   #1
pollo

Marlin XL7 30-06

Hi guys, I was wondering what bullet weight most Marlin XL7 30-06's prefer for accuracy. I know every gun is different, but what bullet weight do *most* Marlin 30-06's prefer. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:37 PM   #2
steveNChunter

I'd say your rifle probably has the common .30-06 twist rate of 1:10. So it should shoot most factory loads pretty well. I'd try anything between 168 and 200 gr but you may find accepable accuracy with bullets a little lighter or heavier.I do not own nor have I ever shot an XL7, but the twist rate is what you should go by when considering bullet weights/lengths. My advice is buy a box of what you want to shoot and see how it does. Odds are it will be fine.

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln
Old May 11, 2013, 09:21 AM   #3
pollo

Thanks. Your right, it does have a 1:10 twist. I reload so I guess I'll try some 180 grain bullets since I don't have 165's right now.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:20 AM   #4
steveNChunter

That would be a pretty safe bet. If you are using the rifle for deer hunting you might try some 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in the future. They are usually very accurate and give great expansion.

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln
Old May 11, 2013, 03:34 PM   #5
pollo

Thanks. I'll keep my eye out for some...
Old May 12, 2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Boomer58cal

I've been impressed by both Nosler accu-bond and Hornady SST's in the 150-180g range.

Plus...it's a 30-06! If you're hand loading and work up a load for your specific rifle you should be able to get MOA with almost any 06.

Let us know how she shoots. I'm looking for a new 06.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:08 PM   #7
sDot

Marlin XL7 30-06

I'm quite fond of my XL7 30-06, how do you find it?
Old May 14, 2013, 03:48 PM   #8
pollo

I am quite pleased with it also! A really great gun for the money!
Old May 15, 2013, 10:45 PM   #9
Truckn14269

If you look on the side of your barrel close to the barrel nut, it there a JM... Or REP stamped in the barrel?
Old May 16, 2013, 12:45 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If you look on the side of your barrel close to the barrel nut, it there a JM... Or REP stamped in the barrel?
Oh, don't go there, Truckn. That pointless discussion has nothing to do with the questions asked in this thread.

Pollo - My XL7 does fantastically with 165 gr weight class bullets (165, 168, etc), and nearly as well with 180s.
It has repeatedly printed printed groups between 0.493" and 0.530", and consistently comes in at less than 1" (100 yards) ... even with cheap bullets and experimental loads.
The only bullets mine doesn't like are Ballistic Silvertips (168s or 180s).
Old May 16, 2013, 08:15 AM   #11
taylorce1

I'd try what FM suggested and use 165 grain bullets. I used to be a die hard 180 grain shooter in my 06 rifles. However with todays premium bullets I see no need to go heavier than 165 for hunting purposes in an 06. The velocity gain from going to a lighter bullet is nice to have at normal hunting ranges. Another big plus is the less recoil you get from a 165 grain bullet which makes it a lot more comfortable to shoot and easier IMO to find accuracy with especially at the bench.

Thread about upgrading the XL7 rifle.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Truckn14269

FrankenMauser..
I'm not discussing anything im inquiring out if sheer curiosity I would like to find one for myself in stainless a while back hadnt heard much about the accuracy of the REP barrel.
Old May 17, 2013, 09:07 AM   #13
moosemike

My various .30-06's I've had through the years have never failed to impress me with how well they handle everything from 110 grains to 220 grains. Even my Husqvarna's which are 1-12 twist aren't fussy.
Old May 18, 2013, 09:52 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
FrankenMauser..
I'm not discussing anything im inquiring out if sheer curiosity I would like to find one for myself in stainless a while back hadnt heard much about the accuracy of the REP barrel.
I apologize for jumping on you, then.

I'm just tired of the general sequence of events that follows that question in most threads. (A total loss of focus on the original topic, and a pointless discussion of theories about REP vs JM barrel quality. ...followed by some Remlin/Marlington rants.)

Sorry for jumping on you.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; May 18, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:37 AM   #15
G-town Hunter

FrankenMauser

Not a problem... I understand where your coming from, I got caught up in that whole JM- REP thing when I first started looking into them... The convo does tend to go in that direction when it comes up doesnt it.... Haha. My only gripe with the X7 is that every one I have put my hands on (emphasis on I) the fore end has made contact with the barrel on one side or the other. Wouldn't this affect accuracy at some point?
Old May 19, 2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Crankylove

The forend touching the barrel does affect accuracy..........at least in the one example I've shot.

Frankenmauser replaced the factory stock on his XL7 with an aftermarket laminate that free floats the barrel. No matter what load combinations we tried with the rifle in the after market stock, it could never get back to the accuracy and consistency it had with the factory stock. I don't recall if Frankenmauser ever tried shims or rebedding the action with the laminate stock, but he did end up selling it and dropping the action back in the factory stock to regain the groups he couldn't get with the aftermarket stock.

Last edited by Crankylove; May 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 19, 2013, 03:25 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

With significant barrel heating, there may be problems that arise from fore-end contact. But, as Crankylove mentioned, my rifle's performance actually went to crap when free-floated. It 'needs' the factory pressure points (one on each side of the stock, about 1/2" or so back from the tip of the fore-end).

My rifle may have benefited from pillar-bedding in the Boyds stock I tried, but I didn't bother with it. I toyed with different action seating methods, shims, and action screw torque; but ended up taking the easy way out.
The simplest solution was to drop it back in the factory stock and make the XL7 my "mountain rifle".

However.... the gentleman I sold the Boyds stock to said his rifle responded quite well to the barrel being free-floated, shrinking his groups by about 1/3 of their previous size (taking him sub-MoA by just dropping it in the Boyds stock). For those curious, my rifle is a North Haven JM from the first few months of production, and the other gentleman's rifle was a 2012 Illion REP (also .30-06).
Old May 19, 2013, 04:43 PM   #18
G-town Hunter

FrankenMauser

Do you think an aluminum bedding block could have made any difference in the performance of you rifle?
Old May 19, 2013, 06:24 PM   #19
pollo

Truckn14269, it is a REP stamped barrel. It also has the pressure points on the stock. I am hoping to actually free float it soon...
Old May 19, 2013, 07:45 PM   #20
steveNChunter

Quote:
I am hoping to actually free float it soon...
I wouldn't mess with it. I've heard alot of XL7 owners say they floated their barrels and the accuracy fell off. They put those pressure points in there for a reason and contrary to popular belief, free floating doesn't ALWAYS improve accuracy. Some of the cheaper light sporter barrels do better with a pressure point in the stock. If your'e able to get close to MOA accuracy with it, I'd leave it alone. You might make it shoot worse and then wish you had those pressure points back.

Old May 20, 2013, 11:47 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

If you want to try free-floating the barrel, use some shims to raise the front of the action until the barrel is not touching the stock. Don't modify the stock until you know it will provide the desired results.

Quote:
Do you think an aluminum bedding block could have made any difference in the performance of you rifle?
Pillar bedding would have been just as effective, I think. But, what I took away from messing with it, was that the barrel needed the pressure points. I considered building some pressure points in the fore-end of the Boyds stock. ...but dropping the action in a stock that I knew worked was easier. (and about 3 lbs lighter)