The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 10, 2013, 05:54 PM   #26
rclark

Joe .... you've had your new SA a few days now .... So .... How does it SHOOT . Impatiently waiting for your range report . I got out today a put quite a few .22 and .45 Colt downrange with a Single Six and one of my Ruger medium frame Flattops. Was good 'medicine' to a long work week and a nice afternoon for shoot'n!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:12 PM   #27
Joe_Pike

Well, no ammo to run through it just yet. I ordered some 250gr LRNFP from Georgia Arms last night (500 rounds for $265 + shipping) but I don't know when I'll get it.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:03 PM   #28
Sarge

Fine looking sixgun, Joe!
Old May 12, 2013, 04:41 PM   #29
CSG

I've had a pair of the Cimarron Arms old style (1896-1940) frame SAAs in .45 Colt. I shot them a lot when I was into CAS and they both had trigger jobs to slick them up a bit. The only way to shoot a lot of those big cowboy calibers is to reload (unless you're rich). They've held up even better than I'd hoped.

I like the original style SAAs far more than the Ruger copies (which aren't even copies other than some styling cues. But when I got started with CAS I wanted to shoot guns as they shot them in the old days. My compromise was the second gen frame. Supposedly a bit stronger.

I never carry a round under the hammer and it was flat out not allowed at any of our matches - five rounds with an empty chamber under the hammer.