The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 18, 2013, 01:36 AM   #1
Apom

Okay on AR mags, but wondering about AK mags

Ive done plenty of research on ARs as I am getting ready to build my first 1 followed by 2 more.. Have 3 lowers and focusing on buying mags atm.. Only have about 15 or so that I have bought online as the crazy days started.

I wanted to buy an AK in the future but havent really researched it. Who makes good AK mags..is there a company akin to Lancer or Magpul that produces AK mags that I should be looking for? What are reasonable AK mag prices?

Looking for a quick rundown.. thanks.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Venom1956

Just get steel surplus mags. They are cheap and durable.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Skans

Buy Polytech magazines, if you can find them. In my opinion, they're the best. They have chrome followers and are heavy. I think its impossible to break or wear out one of those Polytech magazines. Heck, even if you only have one, that will be enough for a lifetime.
Old February 18, 2013, 01:18 PM   #4
wnycollector

Quote:
+1 on this.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
Well, they are durable, but they aren't too cheap anymore. Good luck finding them for under $30 these days.
Old February 18, 2013, 05:59 PM   #6
seanc

I have former commie steel mags and they are the standard. I also have US Palm AK30 mags which are very good. If you can find them, they go for around $30/ea. You can sometimes find them for less. I picked up several a couple months ago for around $23/ea, with free shipping from Primary Arms.

I also have a few Tapco and KCI mags which hold bullets but are not considered "robust" by anyone's standards.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:58 PM   #7
RAINMAN1053

What do y'all think about Tapco and Promag polymers for the Wasr-10?
Old February 21, 2013, 12:24 AM   #8
Venom1956

I have some TAPCOs that I running currently they seem decent for what I paid for them. I got them since the surplus mags are Crazy expensive right now. I have concerns about their longevity.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old February 21, 2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Justice06RR

+2 on the steel AK mags. Those are pretty much bulletproof, and better than polymer mags IMO.

Gonna be hard to find right now, and will be priced a bit more than they used to be ($30+ or more). Plastic AK mags like Tapco's are still easier to find and cheaper; I saw some at my lgs for $15-20 but they are not guaranteed to fit every AK because some AK's have smaller magwell than others.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:15 PM   #10
spacecoast

Sportsmansguide has Tapco AK-47 mags for under $10 (when they're in stock). I bought a 3-pack recently for under $25 total. They work great in my AK with a minor bit of sanding on the locking lug, and they are well built.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Bart Noir

The Bulgarian 'waffle' mags are steel-lined at the top, meaning the feed lips and both latching tabs (front and back). So they are about the only plastic ones I am sure are good enough. But I haven't seen any sold in the last few years.

I have got a few Finnish plastic mags with aluminum latching tabs which may be good enough.

The US Palm ones seem very solid but I am not sure if they latch into the gun with metal to metal contact.

Bart Noir
Old February 22, 2013, 11:13 PM   #12
plouffedaddy

Quote:
The Bulgarian 'waffle' mags are steel-lined at the top, meaning the feed lips and both latching tabs (front and back). So they are about the only plastic ones I am sure are good enough. But I haven't seen any sold in the last few years.

Here you go:
((10)) Link

I have got a few Finnish plastic mags with aluminum latching tabs which may be good enough.

The US Palm ones seem very solid but I am not sure if they latch into the gun with metal to metal contact.

They do, see my review here:

US Palm Mag Review Link

Bart Noir
Com bloc steel mags are the standard for sure. When they were cheap they were the way to go but those days are gone, at least for now. ((10)) Bulgy mags and Gen 2 US Palms are good to go if you're looking for a polymer alternative.

Old February 22, 2013, 11:24 PM   #13
Sarge

I do have a half-dozen 7.62x39 Tapco polymer AK mags in 10, 20 and 30 round configurations. They are basically a good product that may require a little tweaking to perfect them.

They seem to be sized with the largest magazine opening in mind. The sides of several had to be sanded down before they would fit easily in my WASR.

I also noted that they worked great in warm weather, but got a little sluggish in cold weather. So I tore each of them down and sanded material off the sides of the follower, until the follower would drop freely up and down in the magazine by gravity alone. Some were fine & others needed a little sanding. Cleaning out the sanding grit and hosing the internals down with CRC Silicon Spray, completed the process. I have since run them all after being left loaded in the trunk, in 10 degree weather. They are run slick as can be now.

I realize some will grumble about having to work on a new magazine. I gave between 8-11 bucks for these and I don't mind tweaking them a little at that price. I'm sure glad I bought them now.

All that said- get the commie steel mags if you can find them. My favorites are the Hungarian 20 rounders. I've never had a problem with those, and I've probably used a couple dozen of them.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:30 PM   #14
Bart Noir

New Magpul AK magazines

Magpul site

And these words came from Magpul on some other internet site:

"Due to the interface of rifle and magazine in the Kalashnikov platforms, and the leverage that critical points must withstand, we knew we couldn’t leave well-enough alone with the AK MOE before we even started designing. Also currently in development, and arriving on the heels of the AK MOE, is the next release in the PMAG AK lineup, which will be a 7.62x39 magazine with a little more “Bulgarian” in it, featuring solid steel reinforcements at lockup points."

Bart Noir
Who is excited by this news.