The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 24, 2013, 07:30 AM   #26
mitranoc

Quote:
How do you like your rifle's trigger?
I haven't officially put rounds through it yet, but I've dry fired it several times. Seems like a relatively heavy trigger. Other's have suggested putting a Happy Trigger in it.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod16630.aspx

George Washington
Old April 25, 2013, 08:14 AM   #27
Keg

Quote:
Should have my scope mount by Friday. Any tips, or is it as straight forward as it looks to mount?
Nice rings/mount....My Marlins have the same setup as in your original pic....

note: I removed the white spacers on my older guns....They shrink over time....
Old April 25, 2013, 01:25 PM   #28
mitranoc

Went to see my gunsmith yesterday to get some dissappointing news. My Redfield has seen it's better day He pointed out that the crosshairs (when looking down on it) don't line up with the turrtets... at all. He also said that there's a high likelihood that the nitrogen has made its way out (brown crusty stuff around dial that adjusts the eyepiece). I have this 3-9x40, but I'm not loving it on this rifle. Makes it heavy and less nimble. But on the flip side, 200 yards is plenty possible. Do I go with a 2-7x32 (or 34), or do I leave this one on?
On a separate note, this is a very nice mount. Tight fit, but just enough room. Can't slide the scope back 1mm unless I remove the rear sight.

George Washington
Old April 26, 2013, 02:31 PM   #29
deadcoyote

Mitranoc, I actually had the opposite problem, i.e. I had 10 boxes of 30-30 ammo and no 30-30! I ended up buying a Stevens model 325, the old bolt action in 30-30. Spent $190 shipped to my door because it's C&R! In CA that's a good deal, we have to dodge the state fee's whenever possible.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:31 PM   #30
mitranoc

Quote:
Mitranoc, I actually had the opposite problem, i.e. I had 10 boxes of 30-30 ammo and no 30-30! I ended up buying a Stevens model 325, the old bolt action in 30-30. Spent $190 shipped to my door because it's C&R! In CA that's a good deal, we have to dodge the state fee's whenever possible.
Yesterday 02:25 PM
Saw one of those a while back at Gander for $250. Cool rifle.. I actually found some plinking ammo today for a decent price.

George Washington

Last edited by mitranoc; April 26, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:39 PM   #31
mitranoc

Scope dilemma solved. I put a Prostaff 2-7x32 on today. It's a much better option for me, and perfect carbine size.

George Washington

Last edited by mitranoc; April 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old April 27, 2013, 07:50 AM   #32
Dr. A

I have several 2-7X Leupolds on my lever actions and would agree this size is ideal. Plenty for as far as this gun will shoot, and smaller and better close in. I've enjoyed the prostaff's I've gotten of late. Quite a bit of scope for the money. Looks like you did well!
Old May 5, 2013, 01:35 PM   #33
dieselbeef

im in a bit of a dilema which you guys have seemed to solve with my 336...what size bolt do you use to my the scope mts. i am trying to mt a red dot and the rail is slim and the bolts btm out in the ejector and jam the action.
i cannot figure out the size or the pitch on the bolts to get a shorter one. it seems to be a 8x something..but a 40 is too fine and a 32 is too coarse.
i have the set screws that came ut but thyere o short ya cant really get a good size on em

any help would be awesome cuz this is driving me nuts trying to figure this out
Old May 6, 2013, 11:33 AM   #34
dieselbeef

no help guys?