The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 4, 2013, 01:16 AM   #1
Derius_T

AK Optics Questions

Recently got a nice AK. Problem is it is a pristine Norinco NHM90 and has no side optics mount on the receiver, nor do I want to drill holes to add one. That leaves me with one option besides iron sights, and that is to mount an optic on the closest end of the upper handguard rail.

I think the only sights that would give me the eye relief to mount it that far away would be a reflex type sight, or a red dot style. Is this correct? Also, would I be able to have any magnification options? Getting a good enough optic in this configuration to make reliable shots at 100-200 yard range is more than enough. I would be pleased with reliable 100 yard sighting.

I just can't see well enough anymore to hit anything smaller than a basketball at 100 yards.

Also, I can't be spending more for the optics than I did for the rifle.
Old May 4, 2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Derius_T

Bump for help...
Old May 4, 2013, 09:29 PM   #3
deepcreek

I haven't heard my people with that had luck with optics and AKs, I heard of they would rattle off 0.

I like the front sights that are open on the top I can see better through them and they let in more light. All the AKs I have had or shot I would usually get 6"-8" groups at 100yds and after 100yds the groups became very sloppy and large, the AK is not really known for range.

Most of the Dragunovs come with detachable scopes and can reach out with some decent range and accuracy.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
RedBowTies88

Quote:
I haven't heard my people with that had luck with optics and AKs, I heard of they would rattle off 0.

I like the front sights that are open on the top I can see better through them and they let in more light. All the AKs I have had or shot I would usually get 6"-8" groups at 100yds and after 100yds the groups became very sloppy and large, the AK is not really known for range.

Most of the Dragunovs come with detachable scopes and can reach out with some decent range and accuracy.
If your Ak is shooting 8" groups at 100 yards some is wrong.. probably the shooter

If you don't want to do any drilling the only real option you have is the Ultimak gas tube.. They have very sturdy and hold zero just fine in the guns I'v shot with them. However they're really designed for reflex sights and not scopes.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:51 PM   #5
deepcreek

Quote:
If your Ak is shooting 8" groups at 100 yards some is wrong.. probably the shooter
lol I knew someone would come on talking about how they shot quarters with AKs at 100yds.
Old May 5, 2013, 05:23 AM   #6
RedBowTies88

Coke cans, but yea.....
Old May 25, 2013, 02:03 AM   #7
bamaranger

Hey T,

There are about 3 options to mount an optic on an AK not equipped w/ a rail. The first is a forward rail, out ahead where the top handguard normally is. The handguard is replaced by the rail hardware. The best of these is made by an outfit called Ultimak. The rail runs about $100 +/-.

Next option is to use the bracket for the rear sight. Midwest industries makes such a rig, called the mini dot, and a package deal, (bracket and budget dot sight) runs in the $160 range. There are others. Dillon sells one as well.

Last option is a replacement top dust cover, that allows the mounting of rings and scope conventionally centered over the rear of the receiver. Tx Weapons Systems sells a high quality top cover for about $140. There are cheaper top cover rails, but I question the quality.

I have also seen a saddle type rig that uses the holes in the receiver for the trigger group, to mount a horseshoe type rail. I cannot advise on the quality or stability of those.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:55 AM   #8
LED

T

You can mount a long eye relief scope ahead of the receiver, like in a scout rifle. All of the above options are valid. For magnifying optics I'd stay away from the dust cover.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:01 PM   #9
bamaranger

good rep

The TWS dogleg top cover is getting good press. It sells for about 3x the price of the other dust cover types.

TWS tweaks the dust cover tab (?) and recoil spring and guide.

Supposedly the thing is OK. Krebs makes a dust cover rail that has a good rep as well but it is really pricey.
Old May 29, 2013, 01:06 AM   #10
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
TWS Dogleg rail attaches to the rear trunnion and the rear sight. It provides a solid mount with reliable zero capability. TWS also makes a rear peep for the rifle. TWS also makes a handguard system that is same plane with the dogleg rail. Theoretically you could remove the front sight assembly and use micro BUIS on the rail.

Dog leg rail

Handguard
Old May 29, 2013, 05:46 PM   #11
AK103K

Ive had two AK's with Ultimaks and Aimpoint ML2's mounted for around 10 years now, and not one problem with either. I have yet to find a better set up.

I think youre going to find, the forward mounted red dot is the way to go. With the right rings, you can also cowitness your irons and the dot.

Quote:
lol I knew someone would come on talking about how they shot quarters with AKs at 100yds.
Quarters, no, but then again, most AR's wont do that with the irons either. Now, this wasnt 100 yards, but it was 200 yards, and it was shot using a POS (according to some) SAR1 using its "slightly" canted iron sights and Wolf 154 grain SP's from a prone position for the lower group, and a cross legged sitting position, shooting at a steady cadence for the upper.

If you cant read the rule, the "head" is 6"x6".

From what Ive seen, except for a couple of the "US" made AK's Ive owned, if you cant shoot 3" groups from a field position at 100 yards, its normally not the guns fault. Mine all seem to shoot about the same as my AR's, irons or red dots, when shot realistically.