The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 20, 2013, 01:27 PM   #1
TheBear

sharps rifle + handloaded ammo with cast lead bullet = extreme accuracy?

Well, ive heard that a lot, a modern sharps rifle from uberti in 45-70 combined with precision sights and handloaded ammo with soft lead, oversized cast bullets is supposed to easylie produce sub moa groups up to 200yards...
I dont realy buy it, maybe there are some modern sharps rifles that are capable of shooting sub moa groups but all of them?
Old April 20, 2013, 03:51 PM   #2
DPris

It takes a while to work up the best load, sights, and individual combination with a good Sharps repro, but they can be surprisingly accurate.

When I worked extensively with a Ruger No 1 in .45-70 years ago, I was able to put 3 holes under an inch at 100 yards using smokeless powder and a relatively inexpensive sight setup.

Dedcicated BP shooters with a good quality Sharps repro may spend months trying different load combinations to get the right one, and with a GOOD (as in expensive) set of sights I'd see an inch at 200 yards as being far from impossible.
The people at Ballard tell me they don't even start to measure accuracy on their big-bore single-shot rifles till 200 yards & say the bullet doesn't "go to sleep" (stabilize) till it's beyond 100.

As far as "all of" the repros goes, I wouldn't make such a broad statement.
My Shiloh Sharps could be right in there, with my load, IF I bothered with long-range sights. Since it's a 100-150-yard rifle, I stay with what I have.
And, it can be quite accurate at 100 yards with a heavy 520-grain lead bullet I cast myself. Have not tried it out to 200.
Denis
Old April 20, 2013, 06:48 PM   #3
4EVERM-14

I was present when a friend with Shiloh in .45-120 pounded a three hundred yard X ring [3" dia.]with 6 consecutive shots. I saw the shots enter the target with my spotting scope. My Pedersoli in .45-70 at 200 yards would hold the 10 ring[6"dia]. I would also doubt that every rifle is capable but certainly with attention to detail and careful loading the results would be quite surprising.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old April 20, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4
myfriendis410

I own a "Billy Dixon" Pedersoli in 45/70 that I worked on as a project to develop a cast bullet/smokeless load. It would put five 518 gr. cast Lyman ww bullets into 1/2" at 100 yards on a good day and would hold 'em all in 1" all day. It only took me 2 years to find the right load.