The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2013, 09:02 AM   #1
ropencut

hornady short jacket bullets for 30-30

I'm considering using these in my Winchester 94(mid 70's make). I've been shooting Sierra 125 hpfn with 34.5 grains Varget, but I'm having trouble finding bullets.
Old April 17, 2013, 10:17 AM   #2
A pause for the COZ

do you have photo or a image or a link to a image of these short Jackets?
I am curious.

I could spare a 100 or two of these 150 gr pills. What do you have for trade?

Old April 17, 2013, 01:21 PM   #3
ropencut

I don't have a picture. A store in town has them. I'm not real interested in 150's. Right now I'm more interested in lighter bullets. Thanks though.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:59 PM   #4
j357

I'm confused as to what you are asking. More info is needed to address your post. Do you need advice as to whether the bullet in question will work?? Are you seeking load data or other information/experience with the bullet in question??

A package of Hornadys should have a product number on them. Post up that number.

Just noticed that we joined up on the same day 4 years ago....
Old April 18, 2013, 07:26 AM   #5
TimSr

I dont know if Hornady still makes those, but I still have a couple boxes. They are 100gr LRN bullet with a jacketed base. I've shot them in .30-06, .30-30, and 30 carbine, but the bigger cartridges were very light plinker loads. They shot reasonably accurrate for tin cans, but are not long range tack drivers by any means. Your 130gr Pointed bullets are far better suited for groundhogs across the field.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:38 AM   #6
ropencut

Hey J357. I guess I was wanting all of the above; If anybody had tried them, how they loaded and how they worked. If I get into town today I'll get that #. I live 20 miles out of town and I'm currently healing up from a broke foot and some ribs so I don't know when I'll make it in. Those bullets were called 100gr short jacket, I believe they're meant for 30 carbine. That same join date, does that make us firing line brothers? Lol. Thanks.
Old April 18, 2013, 06:28 PM   #7
DRSmith

No, no, no.

I bought a box of that Hornady 3005 semi-jacketed bullet, but will never buy another. The unjacketed part is of smaller diameter than the jacket, so there is not much bearing length to force it to be well-aligned with the case axis. The base is hard-edge squared off, so it doesn't want to start into the case straight. My Lee bullet seating die insert is shaped for a sharper-nosed bullet, so it would just stick on the soft lead nose, and not slide it to the center to align properly. The result was unacceptable accuracy. As I recall, I got about 6-inch patterns at 50 yards using a .30-30 Winchester 94, and worse still with a 7.62x54R Mosin-Nagant.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:58 AM   #8
ropencut

thanks for the information, I don't think I'll get them. Primer and powder are too scarce to waste experimenting.
Old April 19, 2013, 01:28 PM   #9
snuffy

A pause for the COZ, are those 150's pointed soft points? While they would work in a 30-30 IN A SINGLE SHOT, MODE, LOADED ONE AT A TIME in a 30-30, you might have trouble loading them in a tubular magazine. Remember chain fire?

Ropencut, those short jacketed Hornady, and the speer look-alike, are PLINKER bullets. Never intended to be loaded to full power or at the full possible velocity.

I too loaded them in 30-06 as a small game load while deer hunting. I forget what the load was, most likely a light charge of unique, muzzle velocity possibly 1200 FPS? They worked well, still have some left, may mess around with them again.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?