The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 15, 2013, 05:26 PM   #26
Siouxlynn

I am new at this.

I have just bought (for $25.00) a pistol that I think is a 1847 Colt Dragoon. Yes I know they were made in 1848, but this one says US 1847 on the barrel. The serial number is E56535 and all of the numbers match. It has been personalized with the name W.I. Ormbsy on the cylinder under the engraving. As I am a new poster I hope I have not broken any rules. Does anyone have any information on this gun?
Old April 15, 2013, 07:09 PM   #27
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

One will not do it, you need one for each hand in order to keep your balance.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 15, 2013, 07:25 PM   #28
Hawg

Quote:
I have just bought (for $25.00) a pistol that I think is a 1847 Colt Dragoon. Yes I know they were made in 1848, but this one says US 1847 on the barrel. The serial number is E56535 and all of the numbers match. It has been personalized with the name W.I. Ormbsy on the cylinder under the engraving. As I am a new poster I hope I have not broken any rules. Does anyone have any information on this gun?
Probably a Walker but definitely not original. Ormsby was the original engraver.
Old April 15, 2013, 07:29 PM   #29
Bishop Creek

Quote:
During at least the late 90's and into the new century Pietta had a run of poor quality control and 'soft' internal parts (the parts problem started some time in the 80's, I think). They have corrected both and the current Pietta product is nearly on a par with Uberti.
I really lucked out on my Pietta '58 made in 1999. Bought it brand new, then had a gunsmith do an action job on it including cutting the forcing cone and it is still going strong 14 years later. More accurate than my Pietta 1858 "Shooters" target model made in 2004.