The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 11, 2013, 01:26 AM   #1
chipchip

6.5 Creedmore

For those of you who shoot the 6.5 Ceedmore, what are you impression of it and how accurate is it. Thanks
Old April 11, 2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Txhillbilly

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great caliber,it allows you to shoot the longer match style bullets or Berger VLD's,and still stay below maximum magazine length when seating the bullets out near the rifling lands in the barrel.
Shooting the same bullets in my 260 Remington,the OAL of the cartridge will be too long to fit in the magazine if seated to the same distance off the lands.
The Creedmoor gives up little in performance numbers to the 260 Rem or 6.5x47 calibers. All three calibers perform very close ballistically.

This caliber can be very accurate with any type of bullet once the right combination is found,and each rifle will be different.
With the test loads that I've tried so far,the best is a 140gr Berger VLD.The best 100 yard group so far is a .122".
I've been very pleased with this caliber so far.

Old April 11, 2013, 10:30 PM   #3
mattL46

Wow
Old April 12, 2013, 12:08 AM   #4
chipchip

What rifle are you using. That is awesome!
Old April 12, 2013, 10:49 AM   #5
hammie

After seeing that group, I think a savage model 10 hunter predator in 6.5 creedmoor is in my future
Old April 12, 2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Txhillbilly

I assembled this rifle,I bought a Savage Varmint action from NSS and then put an E.R.Shaw 26" stainless varmint contour barrel on it.
I borrowed the Choate Tactical stock and Sightron SIII 6-24x50 MOA-2 scope from my 308 until my Manners stock arrives,and I can buy a Nightforce scope for it.

Old April 12, 2013, 11:20 PM   #7
mattL46

Beautiful beautiful machine tx!
Old April 12, 2013, 11:52 PM   #8
BumbleBug

I have a secret yearning for a 6.5 Creedmoor but I'd like a bolt or Falling Block deer hunting rifle.

One of the things the Creedmoor had going for it from the start is the availability of match quality components - brass especially. It's "match" design & efficiency started it with an excellent pedigree! Great off the shelf ammo too! The .260 Rem was designed as a hunting round & just now we see due to shooter popularity, the match components are bringing it into the lime light. The 6.5-284 had a harder road from wildcat to match round, but it has broken its way into popularity too!

Go 6.5, your time has come!

FWIW...

...bug
Old April 13, 2013, 03:56 PM   #9
hammie

@texashillwilliam: That is a great looking savage build. You should also post it on savageshooters.com. (I'm not promoting another site, but you can belong to more than one forum.)

I've debated the .260 vs. 6.5 creedmoor, but as you said earlier, you don't have the long bullet/magazine length problem with the creedmoor and you don't give up much in performance. However one advantage with the .260 remington might be cheaper and better availability of brass. If things got really scarce, you could always easily form it from 243 win, 7mm-08, or .308 win.
Old April 13, 2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Ruger480

Tx, it looks like you missed the bullseye with at least 3 of your shots, were you shooting unsupported?

Seriously though, nice rig. I can't remember ever seeing a 4 shot group like that. Impressive.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Txhillbilly

Ruger,Those were just some test loads that I was working up,I don't adjust the scope when shooting test loads.
I just shoot to see how they group,not shooting for the bullseye,I just use it for an aiming point.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Ruger480

TX, you do know I was kidding about missing the BE right? I really am impressed with that group.
Old June 9, 2013, 06:39 PM   #13
chromatica

Twist Rate?

Hi TX,

What's the twist rate on your ER Shaw barrel - 1:9 or 1:8. (Newer factory barrels from Savage use 1:8.)

Thx,
Chromatica
Old June 10, 2013, 10:10 AM   #14
stubbicatt

When you decided on the Creedmoor, did you consider the 6.5x47 Lapua? If you did consider the 6.5x47 Lapua, why did you decide on the Creedmoor?

Last edited by stubbicatt; June 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: clarification
Old June 10, 2013, 01:26 PM   #15
Evad

recent experience

Its funny to see this thread on here today considering I had my Savage 12 LRP out for the first time just yesterday. Its a heavy rifle, weighing in at around 13 lbs. That being said, the felt recoil on these rounds are very tame, I could have shot that gun all day. Now, as for accuracy, I had a 7/8" group off a cheap bipod at 200yds. No complaints on accuracy whatsoever. However, a complaint on the ammo manufacturer. I was using hornady match 120gr A-max's, and every few shots, the bolt would come back hard. On about the 25th round fired, the bolt flat-out refused to come back with any reasonable tugging. I got it home and removed the scope. After a few firm bumps with my palm, it still refused to budge. I finally got the round unseated after some careful tapping with a rubber mallet. Nothing appeared to be wrong with the casing, but not having a Mike I couldn't tell for sure. I called the place I bought the gun from and they said that overpressuring seems to be a common thing with the hornady 6.5 creeds. I do believe I will get into handloading.
Old June 10, 2013, 10:04 PM   #16
Kachok

As a 6.5mm fan I really like the Creedmore and think it is probably the best cartridge to come out in quite some time. It combines the sharp shoulder and longer neck of the 6.5x55 with the short action of the 260, kind of the best of all worlds. The high BC of 6.5mms in general combined with the fact that it is about the ideal level of power/SD for general purpose deer/hog hunting with 120-140gr bullets puts it in the running for the most versatile cartridge ever, or at leased in the running with the 6.5x55 and 308.
Old June 11, 2013, 01:26 PM   #17
MtnCreek

Quote:
I was using hornady match 120gr A-max's, and every few shots, the bolt would come back hard. On about the 25th round fired, the bolt flat-out refused to come back with any reasonable tugging. I got it home and removed the scope. After a few firm bumps with my palm, it still refused to budge. I finally got the round unseated after some careful tapping with a rubber mallet. Nothing appeared to be wrong with the casing, but not having a Mike I couldn't tell for sure. I called the place I bought the gun from and they said that overpressuring seems to be a common thing with the hornady 6.5 creeds. I do believe I will get into handloading.
I haven't heard that about factory ammo. IME, factory Hornady ammo is loaded below the cartridges potential regarding pressure.

It sounds like you have a chamber issue. Improperly cut or maybe a bur was left in there. I would clean the barrel / chamber and if it still had issues, I would send it back to Savage.

Quote:
If you did consider the 6.5x47 Lapua, why did you decide on the Creedmoor?
6.5x47 brass costs over twice as much as Hornady brass. The Horn brass is good stuff; I'm not saying it's Lapua quality, but close enough after prep. YMMV.
Old June 11, 2013, 08:23 PM   #18
stubbicatt

Thanks MtnCreek. I'm still leaning towards the Lapua chambering, but near as I can tell, they are nearly identical, performance wise, right?

Have you come to prefer any particular bullet weights? I'm thinking maybe the 120 grain weight bullets and RL15.

It will be awhile until my barreled action comes, and awhile longer before it has a stock and scope. But I'm looking forward to it with some anticipation.