The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
lokidansk

I was given some reloads and have a question.

A friend gave me 500 rounds of reloaded mixed brass that he reloaded last year, he sold everything he had that shot 5.56. Please give your oppinions on the load he used. I have used many of his handgun loads and enjoyed them with no problems but can not find this 5.56 load in any books. I will be useing them in either a Colt Hbar 16" 1in9" or a M&P 16" 1in9" both barrels are marked 5.56 NATO

Mixed brass winchester 223 and lake city 5.56
winchester 748 27gn
winchester 55gn FMJ
cci 41 primmers

Thank you for looking
Loki
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old April 9, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Hornady/Winchester shows one load with a 55 GR SP, and the max is 26.3. Back when I reloaded 223, I do not recall ever having a load that warm, and I used 748 along with others
Hopefully, someone with a little more current experience will comment
Old April 9, 2013, 03:07 PM   #3
jcwit

I shoot NO ONES reloads, no matter how much I trust them.

Furthermore my manuals list 26.2 grains as max.

Your gun, your hands, your face & eyes.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Beentown71

All of my references has that over max.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old April 9, 2013, 03:15 PM   #5
lokidansk

Is it ok for me to pull the bullets and reoad in yalls oppinion?
will reuseing the pulled bullets be ok if so?
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old April 9, 2013, 03:22 PM   #6
LE-28

I won't shoot anyone's reloads either. I can't live with my own mistakes, I sure as hell won't live with someone else's.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Shootest

Quote:
Is it ok for me to pull the bullets and reoad in yalls oppinion?
will reuseing the pulled bullets be ok if so?
Yes, that would be fine. Bullets may not be the best but OK for plinking. IMOP
Old April 9, 2013, 03:38 PM   #8
hunter52

The Speer number 11 manual lists 28.5 gr as max for a 55 gr bullet with Win 748.
I have been loading 27 gr of Win 748 under 55 grain bullets, mostly Remington, Hornady winchester SP for the last 20 or so years and shoot them out of a Remington 700 VLS and a TC contender with a Bullberry 21 incher, never have had any signs of pressure, with 1/2 inch or less groups from both rifles.
This works for me, your guns may be different, pull them down, reduce the charge and try them out.
Old April 9, 2013, 04:06 PM   #9
TATER

It's a Stiff load with Win brass,, Really Hot for LC brass IMHO..
Old April 9, 2013, 04:06 PM   #10
hunter52

Just an add on here, I recently bought 1200+ rounds of .223 /5.56 from a friend of my oldest son for $400, 700+ are new FED or LC 55 gr., the rest are 62 gr FMJ reloads.
I pulled every one of the bullets, dumped the powder on the scale (748) and weighed the charge, put the powder in an empty can punched the primers out, resized the brass with SB dies, then reloaded the whole mess. Crazy? Maybe, but I did not waste anything and I now have no doubts as to what is in each one.
Old April 9, 2013, 04:35 PM   #11
TATER

If you trust that your friend is Consistent, Pull a few and weigh the charge..
A friend of mine, Has Always loaded some calibers too Hot.(In my opinion)
But, Never had any problems in 25+ years…That is…...Until he got a new accurate scale..
Old April 9, 2013, 04:41 PM   #12
lokidansk

Why did you have to pull the primmers? Was it just for case resizeing?
What bullet puller do yall recommend?

I know I am asking many newbe questions here but I am just getting started with my reloading. Most of my things have not even arrived in the mail as yet. I had planned on starting with .40 S&W but it looks as if I will start with rechargeing these .223s instead.

Last edited by lokidansk; April 9, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added content to post
Old April 9, 2013, 05:07 PM   #13
rg1

I loaded Win 748 with 55 fmj bullets for a while and the main thing I would add is that it's temperature sensitive. I'd consider that load to be too "hot' for summertime temps. Some data sources list data for 55 fmj's at 27 grains or higher but most data is from 26.2-26.4 grains. I've found 26.4 to be safe in summer temps or when a round is left in a hot chamber in AR's. If you decide to pull those rounds I'd get a RCBS or Hornady collet bullet puller for your press. Definitely wouldn't try pulling that many with an impact puller. The collet pullers are fast and the powder is left in the case without any bullet damage. I'd also check the powder and reuse it making sure it's all the same, I'd measure all the case lengths, would remove the priming punch from the sizing die and partially resize the neck, and leave the CCI 41"s in the case. I'd also check that no primer was left high. My point is that I'd double check everything even though you trust your friend.
Old April 9, 2013, 05:27 PM   #14
oldpapps

I like 'rg1's methods.

If you are certain of the powder (being 748), I would reuse it. Any question and not. Then work out your own loads. Safer for you and your weapon/s and could very well function better.

Always error on the side of safety.

OSOK
Old April 9, 2013, 09:47 PM   #15
hagar

On top of that, the CCI #41 is a very hot primer. I'd pull them down and drop the charge at least 1.5 grains.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:15 PM   #16
LarryFlew

Hornady cam puller works MUCH better for that quantity then doing the hammer forever.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ku=00005050095

you also need the collet for 223

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ku=00005392155
Old April 10, 2013, 11:27 AM   #17
lokidansk

I am very confused, I have found data for .223 loads that are very different from each other. Hodgdon max load is 26.3 of 748 and Lyman 49th Ed shows max load at 27.8 in both an AR15 and a T/C Contender & Encore receiver but I can not find anything with refference to 5.56 NATO. Isnt the 5.56 NATO chamber a higher PSI capable chamber? If that is a totaly ignorent question trust me I won't be offended if yall tell me to buy more books and keep reading.
Old April 10, 2013, 02:30 PM   #18
BuckRub

They would've been fine. Should have shot a couple just to clear your mind.
Old April 10, 2013, 04:09 PM   #19
lokidansk

I have not pulled them as yet, I just ordered a puller today. I bought the RCBS hand hammer puller as cost is a very large concern for me. I am going to randomly pull and measure about 50 rounds and post my results. I have been somewhat a student of primitive skills for a while now, "this being the least primitive of them all by far" most of the skills or hobbies are learned and then I move on to another. I am getting a weird feeling this one is going to be a bit different. Thank all of you for your input and please continue giving it, I really do want not only to learn but to understand what I am doing.
Old April 10, 2013, 04:23 PM   #20
flashhole

I agree with rg1 on the temperature sensitivity caution. 748 is the least forgiving powder I have used for 223. I loaded some over the winter months a few years back, worked fine when the ambient air temp was below freezing. Same load durning the summer was WAY too hot and I was in an overpressure situation. Pulled all those and switched to Hodgdon Extreme Powder which is a lot less temperature sensitive.
Old April 10, 2013, 06:23 PM   #21
hunter52

To answer an earlier question, I punched the primers to make sure they were all the same.
Pulling bullets with an inertia type "puller"is tedious and can damage bullet tips , it is also messy, if cost is a concern, search some of the auction sites for used collet pullers.

One reason I have used 748 for 223 is it can give good velocity with less pressure than other powders , least my old manuals claim that. Maybe the powder is different than it was 20 years ago. Guess I should update my manuals, the newest is hornady's fourth .
Old April 10, 2013, 07:29 PM   #22
jcwit

Quote:
Pulling bullets with an inertia type "puller"is tedious and can damage bullet tips , it is also messy, if cost is a concern, search some of the auction sites for used collet pullers.
Drop an ear plug intyo the chamber of the hammer and you will no lingher damage a bullet tip.

Messy? Pull bullet, drop bullet & powder into dish, pick bullet out, whats messy?

In todays madness auction sites for anything related to reloading is more than likely not cost effective.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:07 AM   #23
rodfac

I never, ever fire anyone else's reloads...nada. I don't trust anyone to load...it's too demanding and far too many reloaders don't follow good practices. An over load will cost you your eyes .... it's just that simple. I'd pull the bullets for future use, get rid of the powder, and decap and reuse the brass. Rod
Old April 11, 2013, 08:17 PM   #24
hunter52

To the OP, 5.56 is supposed to operate at higher chamber pressure, the barrel on my Contender is clearly stamped 50,000 psi MAX, it has not blown up yet with 748, my Bushmaster does not see 748 any more , 748 seemed to foul up the gas tube quickly so I use IMR 4320.
IMHE, tried the ear plug /cotton ball in the end of the puller, it works sometimes but since you don't always hit the point of the puller squarely, the bullet can hit the side of the tube or get bounced around when you go for another whack , soft point rifle bullets get it the worst, usually a sideways swipe on the tip.
The problem with ear plugs in the tip is getting one that fits tight, if not when the bullet comes loose it can push the ear plug aside allowing grains of powder around the plug , then when you dump the puller everything comes out dropping into the pan scattering powder all over. Cotton balls are better for stopping powder, IMHO.

Probably would be tough to get a deal at the auction sites , I just looked at several and people are over paying for equipment they could from a dealer, at much lower prices. Crazy.
Old April 12, 2013, 01:22 PM   #25
adrians

Lyman #49 lists,,,,
25grn to start and a max of 27.8grn, this using a Sierra 55gn sp.

The max load shows a c.u.p of 49,600 ,if this is any use to ya.

I would pull-em but that's just me.

have a great day,,,,