The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2013, 01:28 PM   #1
DaveManH

Kel-tec pf9 vs Ruger lc9

Greetings everyeone. I am relatively new to this site and this is my first posting. I have enjoyed reading on this site for weeks though. My questions regard concealed carry.

I currently carry a Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W compact. Backdrop; I live in Florida and carry with the Thunderwear method due to the common clothing I wear. Occasionally my clothing does not permit me to carry this firearm with the method I carry or it would be obvious/suspicious that I am carrying a firearm. For instance when I am wearing exercise pants and shirt.

I have been set on buying a Kel-tec pf9 (because of the low cost and tiny size) to carry in the situations where I need a very small firearm. I have been reading though that the newer pf9s are not as reliable as the original ones. Is this true? That being said I cannot find a pf9 used or new anywhere right now. Another firearm I am considering, if I cannot get a pf9, is the Ruger lc9. What do you all think of this gun? Since it is roughly $100 more than the pf9 I would only get it if it has a very good reputation. I may get a Kel-tec p11 also but it is 1/10 of an inch thicker than the other two guns and width is the most important thing for me, so I am not sure.

I am open to other suggestions as well. I need the firearm to be in the $350 and under range (I realize this may be difficult under current conditions though). Also, I do not want any calaber smaller than a 9mm unless someone convinces me that I really should consider a .380, which I guess maybe I should. Please give me your thoughts considering this issue also.

Thank you everyone!
Old April 5, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2
CPO15

OK, 110 views with no replies. I'll jump in:

Pf9 was not one bit pleasant for me to shoot. I was not accurate with it, had too frequent jams and I hated the recoil. While I have not shot one, the LC9 seems to be a near clone of the Pf9, but with a better fit/finish and CS support. I would not expect it to be a significantly different shooting experience, although I would expect less jams.

I ditched the Pf9 and am now quite happy with the Kahr MK9, the CW9 is a less expensive alternative. These guns are a joy to shoot. If you could see your way to include a Kahr in the consideration, I think you'd be pleased.

But, if you're only considering the two in your inquiry, go with the Ruger: the CS alone is worth the expense.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:21 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
Pf9 was not one bit pleasant for me to shoot. I was not accurate with it, had too frequent jams and I hated the recoil. While I have not shot one, the LC9 seems to be a near clone of the Pf9, but with a better fit/finish and CS support. I would not expect it to be a significantly different shooting experience, although I would expect less jams.
My experience with the PF9 is different. I'm reasonably accurate with it, it doesn't jam, and I find the recoil with your basic FMJ 9mm range ammo tolerable. I had an intermittent light strike failure problem (once per box or two of any kind of ammo). A trip to the factory fixed that.

Like you, I would expect the LC9 experience to be about the same.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 5, 2013, 03:31 PM   #4
PointOneSeven

The little micro 9's are a pleasure to carry. A little less fun to shoot, but in a self defense situation, the firepower is nice.

I personally like the 380's and 32's a bit better. The fixed barrels lower the price a bit too which is a bonus.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
FALPhil

Quote:
My experience with the PF9 is different. I'm reasonably accurate with it, it doesn't jam, and I find the recoil with your basic FMJ 9mm range ammo tolerable.
That's my experience too. I have had zero problems with mine, but then, I did the recommended "fluff-n-buff" prior to shooting it the first time.

Quote:
I would not expect it to be a significantly different shooting experience, although I would expect less jams.
Why would you expect less jams? KelTec does not have a monopoly on jams. I can pull a P95DC out of my safe that is a jam-o-matic. I have never gotten it to shoot a whole magazine without some sort of problem.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Skans

I did the same comparison a couple of years ago. I bought the LC9 because when I compared the two, it was observably better made. I especially didn't like the cheesy extractor on the keltec - I'm sure it works, just didn't like it.

I've put over 500 rounds through my LC9, without one hickup, breakage or problem. I also carry it daily and it still looks good.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:07 PM   #7
gator1gear

I have both guns. The Pf9 that I have is reliable and accurate, but so is the LC9. I will tell you what I like and don't like about both. I Love the fact that the PF9 is SLIGHTLY lighter, and the trigger pull is a wee bit better than the LC9. That opinion is also shared by my wife. I don't like the fact that the LC9 has a cheaper feel than the Ruger.

I like the Ruger because compared to the LC9, it feels much more "refined" It just "feels" like a better gun. That being said, I have had no malfunctions with either. What I dislike, and what my wife dislikes ,is the trigger pull of the Ruger. It's a mile long. I thought the trigger on the PF9 was bad, and then I shot the Ruger and I realized that PF9 trigger wasn't that bad at all when comparing the two.

My opinion, is that the PF9 has a bit of a cheaper feel. That being said, we're talking about an inexpensive gun that works. The Ruger feels like a better made gun, but the trigger pull is atrocious, especially for a gun that has a ton of other "safety features". The trigger pull should be safety enough in my opinion.

If I had to pick one to keep and one to sell, I would keep the Ruger, just because it feels the most "right". I can get past the trigger pull of the Ruger better than I can the cheap feel of the Kel Tec. I realize that may not be a reason for most to make a choice, but with both guns being reliable, I made a choice by which one I felt would be the most durable.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:11 PM   #8
ttarp

I actually just got back from the range with a PF9, my dad just bought it today used, and we just got back from shooting it for the first time ourselves. It's a no frills gun, like others stated the LC9 has a higher quality of construction and finish. We only shot 50 or so rounds through the PF9, but we had no issues, the recoil is a little rough but manageable.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:17 PM   #9
gator1gear

^^ This. The PF9 is the rough around the edges street fighter, and the LC9 is the more "swanky boxer" of the two. They both get the job done, it's just a matter of which one works best for you.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:23 PM   #10
leadchucker

No real indication on KTOG that the later PF9's are any more problematic than earlier ones. They evidently did have a small batch of defective ones, but they're weeded out by now. KelTec's warranty and customer service has been quite good.

The PF9 ain't pretty. It looks crude, especially compared to an LC9, but that's just appearance. They're both well made. I like my PF9. It's been one hundred percent reliable. I just can't hit much of anything with it because of that long trigger pull, but I don't think that would be too much of a factor in an up-close-and-personal type situation, which is what this thing is intended for.
In your budget range, the PF9, or maybe the SCCY are about the only options.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:28 PM   #11
foxytwo

I have a new KeltecPF9 with about 100 rounds through it, no problems. I think the finish and fit is real good. It is not a lot of fun to shoot a lot of rounds at one time. I purchased a hogue rubber grip for and it made it a lot better to shoot. I like the trigger, but I like DAO pistols. If you dry fire for a few minutes you can pull the trigger back and you can feel the point where the hammer will drop. There is a little resistance just before that. If you get that down you will be able to hit where you aim. If you try to slowly pull the trigger while you aim you will hit all over the target.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:59 PM   #12
Mercenary

Have you considered the newer Ruger LC380? Same size as the LC9 but from what I'vce seen runs $25-50 less than the LC9. The 380 in a small package may be slightly more manageable than a 9mm in the same sized gun.

Also there is the S&W Bodyguard 380.
Old April 6, 2013, 08:51 AM   #13
pete2

I've had the LC9 for about a year it hasn't jammed to date, shot it quite a bit and can't hit with it better than my 642 revolver. The revolver is about 3 oz. lighter than the LC so it's my first choice for pocket carry. The LC trigger takes some practice but it is workable.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Walt Sherrill

Whichever one you choose, look at the KTADDONS website and get their grip materials. It makes a world of difference in how the guns feel while recoiling.

I've used the stuff on a PF9, on a P3AT, and on a LCP. The guns go from being marginally unpleasant, to much better... as least that's how it worked for me.

The guns are so similar that if it works on the Kel-Tec, it works on the Ruger, too.

http://ktaddons.com/products.htm
Old April 6, 2013, 04:53 PM   #15
Mikef262

I have never shot the LC9, but have shot and owned a PF-9. I have handled the LC9 though. Purely based on grip I would go with the PF-9. To me it feels like the grip is larger and feels nicer in hand.
Old April 6, 2013, 07:58 PM   #16
PT-92

I would go with whatever "feels" best for you as the two are really too similar to make much in the way of differentiations.

Thats said, I chose the P11 .
Old April 6, 2013, 08:19 PM   #17
orionengnr

I have not owned or shot a PF9, but I owned two P3ATs, a P32 and a P11.

None of them was reliable out of the box, and even after F&B and multiple free parts from K-T's (admittedly) excellent CS, none of these pistols were ever reliable enough to carry.

I did get each to work "better" with the help of KT's CS, and my buying new mags, springs, lots of ammo, etc.

Bottom line--four tries, no real success. I sold each at a loss with full disclosure, mostly to "K-T people"--hopefully, they got them working right.

Oh yeah, I gave one away to a friend. He is still a friend, so that is okay. No idea what he did with it, though. Too small to be an anchor.

Let's see...do you have an inkling as to my position on Krap-Tecs?
Quote:
I have been reading though that the newer pf9s are not as reliable as the original ones. Is this true?
Wow...target rich environment. But I will abstain.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:10 AM   #18
Buckdown

Keltec PF9 is my choice.I will never carry a handgun with an EXTERNAL SAFETY
Old April 9, 2013, 08:59 AM   #19
Walt Sherrill

I have a Kel-Tec PF9 and a Kahr CM9. I like them both, and find the Kahr more pleasant to shoot -- but for some reason I prefer (at least for now) the Kel-Tec. That may change as I shoot the CM9 more...

Were I faced with the choice of a Kel-Tec PF-9 and the Ruger LC9, the Ruger is a more attractive weapon. Functionally, I don't think there's much difference.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:00 AM   #20
verdun59

The Kahr should be your first choice, but if you want to spend less go with the LC9. Eventually Galloway Precision ia going to come up with their new trigger bar and hammer which will eliminate the loooooooooong trigger pull. Or if you fire it enough you will get better with it. It works for me, but it not the same as my Kahr PM9. Good luck on you buy.
Old April 9, 2013, 01:15 PM   #21
michael t

MY PF-9 shoots a little high But still able to do head shot at 15 yds. I fired one after noon 100 rounds as fast as I could load 2 mags and fire. I was trying to get a jam . Ate the 100 perfect.

Trigger on PF-9 way better than P-11 trigger

I would get the PF-9
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com