The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 30, 2009, 03:31 PM   #1
wnycollector

Magtech 9mm +P+ 115gr JHP Two Thumbs Up!

I just picked up 250 rounds of Magtech 9mm +P+ 115 JHP ammo. Today I went to the range with two pistols (S&W 910 and SIG P226), a chronograph and 100 rounds of the magtech ammo. I ran a box of ammo through each gun with zero hiccups. The Magtech ammo averaged 1310fps out of the SIGs 4.4" barrel and 1296 from the S&W's 4" tube. The recoil was more than your generic range ammo but still very managable (similar to a .40 S&W). I was VERY happy with the accuracy of this stuff. I shot at ranges from 12 to 25 yards. At 12 yards there was literally one ragged hole in the center of a 5.5" target with both guns. As one would expect, group sizes opened up a bit, but still COM hits were easy and plentiful on a silhouette target.

All in all I'm happy with this stuff for $21/50 rounds. Hopefully sometime down the road I will get a chance to try this stuff on some wet phone books (or left over pumpkins!!!) and see how the JHP expands.
Old October 30, 2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Nnobby45

Quote:
All in all I'm happy with this stuff for $21/50 rounds. Hopefully sometime down the road I will get a chance to try this stuff on some wet phone books (or left over pumpkins!!!) and see how the JHP expands.
Wet phone books, pumpkins, watermelons---all fun stuff.

None have much to do with actual street results, however.

What we know works on the street are CorBon DPX, Speer 124 gr. +P, HST, and some others.

A JHP at close to 1300 fps sounds like it would be a good performer, but I'd like to see some street results. Sorry to see that cost seems to be a major factor in your selection of ammo when there's street proven ammo out there. Sorry about the lecture, must be the Red Bull.
Old October 30, 2009, 04:57 PM   #3
wnycollector

Quote:
Sorry to see that cost seems to be a major factor in your selection of ammo when there's street proven ammo out there.
LOL, you don't have to feel sorry for me
Old October 30, 2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Nnobby45

Quote:
LOL, you don't have to feel sorry for me
Ah, Jeez, wny. Being sorry to see you choose your defense ammo based largely on cost is a long way from feeling sorry for YOU.

It's probably decent ammo. Stockpile it away for emergencies and get some DPX, HST, or GD HP for carry.

Note how advanced bullet designs actually still work after going thru heavy layers of clothing.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De...index.htm#.223

Last edited by Nnobby45; October 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old October 31, 2009, 05:13 AM   #5
wnycollector

Nnobb45, may I suggest that you check out this article by Stephen Camp, he is much more eloquent than I. http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/H...No%20Faith.htm

I submit that ammo that is reasonably priced gets practiced with more. The more practice one has the better their shot placement will be. I believe that any defensive sidearm, placement remains the primary determinant in "stopping power".

I'm kind of fond of this Clint Smith quote "The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic Bomb instead." In my life, I'm NOT a LEO, I live in a relatively low crime area and my lifestyle is low-risk. Do I really need to be able to shoot through car windshields or barricades, I think not. As of right now I'm happy with my new magtech ammo in two pistols that only see occasional CCW use.
Old October 31, 2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Officer's Match

As long as you don't have any mental reservations about the capabilities of you carry round (which you clearly don't) and it's a half way reasonable choice, you're in good shape.
Old October 31, 2009, 12:47 PM   #7
StrawDog

I agree with the ideas that practice counts. All things being equal cheaper ammo will mean more practice. I just bought a case of CCI 9mm 124g FMJ for 15 $/box from Natchez plus shipping. I've also been shooting my 22 a lot. The practice with the 22 does improve my centrerfire results.
Old October 31, 2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Nnobby45

Quote:
I submit that ammo that is reasonably priced gets practiced with more. The more practice one has the better their shot placement will be. I believe that any defensive sidearm, placement remains the primary determinant in "stopping power".
If you practice with your carry ammo, ok.

I practice with ammo that zeros the same as what I carry, and has close to the same recoil. I shoot the carry ammo occasionally. I load my own ammo at cheaper cost. At least it was before the ammo and components crunch.

As for choosing the heavy bullet that penetrates more and expands less (or slower), ala Mr. Camp as opposed to the light, fast one, that expands quicker, that's another discussion. Some calibers, like the .45 work very well with "heavy and slow". So do light fast ones in smaller calibers.
Old November 1, 2009, 01:27 AM   #9
Elvishead

Quote:
Nnobby45

A JHP at close to 1300 fps sounds like it would be a good performer, but I'd like to see some street results.
Maybe you should find out who makes there bullets, and there's your answer. Corbon get some of there bullets (DPX) from Barnes*.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Pacquiao

Magtech 9mm jhp +p+

I once used this type in a level 1 steel challenge, the plates half an inch thick just did not tumble, it flew a foot or so everytime i make a hit. recoil ? not much, accuracy is good, i also did use the fmj 125 of fiocchi it is loud.. Hope this helps.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:13 AM   #11
Buckdown

Got some P+ .Just need to get out and shoot it to test for reliability