The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Korrok

Walther or Makarov for a lefty

I have been looking into getting a handgun and I have narrowed it down to a Walther PP or Makarov type handgun. I have been looking at the Walther PPK, Makarov PM/PB, FEG PA-63, P232, and P-64. I very much like the look, feel and history of these guns.
I would primarily have it for target shooting and self defense and possibly in the future for concealed carry. Keep in mind that I primarily shoot left handed. Reccomendations from people with first hand experience with any of these firearms or very similar firearms is appreciated.

Last edited by Korrok; April 5, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2
lowercase

Of your list, I would recommend the Makarov. I own multiple Maks and a P64.

Have you considered a CZ-82? They have completely ambidextrous controls. Really a nice pistol, too.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:43 AM   #3
flgunguy

I'd get the Mak as a piece to add to the collection or range gun but I wouldn't make that my primary carry. This is coming from an AK enthusiast. I'm def not biased against commie guns. However in 2013, and with so many other choices out there, I would not carry a 50 year old gun as my daily carry.

I would steer your towards a springfield xdm. There is no safety to throw you off. The safety is a grip safety. The mag release is ambidextrous. It comes in all 3 preferred clibers, and with 3 barrel length options.
Old April 6, 2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

As a lefty myself, it is very easy to adapt to any right handed gun. Don't limit yourself as you'd be surprised what you can do with the index finger on your left hand.

If those are your only two choices, the Walther PPK is a better concealed carry option but again, don't feel you need to limit your selection based on a gun being more or less ambidextrous.
Old April 6, 2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Korrok

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions so far. I am now considering the CZ 82. I can definitely see your point about carrying around an outdated gun and if/when I get a concealed carry license I'll probably be able to afford something more modern for that purpose and the xdm does look nice.
Old April 6, 2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Pilot

I own four Makarovs, and one Walther PP. I MUCH prefer the Makarovs. The Bulgarians are the best values, IMHO.

Of the guns you mentioned, the Makarov PM, or Sig P232 would be my choices. If you want to stay in that class the Beretta 85FS, or 84FS are excellent choices, as are the CZ-82 or 83.
Old April 6, 2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

If you are going to look at a XD, go ahead and look at a Walther PPS. It does have an ambidextrous mag release. Nothing wrong with the Springfield, almost bought one myself but in the end like the Walther better.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Korrok

Update: I have decided to get a Makarov PM and later on, a P232.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:47 AM   #9
ClydeFrog

Walther PPX?...

did you look at the new Walther PPX line?....

They are fully ambi & new models are only $400_500.00 USD.

CF
www.waltheramerica.com
Old April 8, 2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Seaman

"I own four Makarovs, and one Walther PP. I MUCH prefer the Makarovs." [Pilot]

Agreed. The Makarov PM is revered in its home country, perhaps as much as the 1911 is here. The Makarov PM is a superb CCW and, the safety flips down just like a 1911 (unlike the Walther PPs, PPKs, P38s, P1s, etc). You will also find it fits a shorty 3" barreled 1911 holster, which are easy to find.

Even tho I am right-handed I do a lot of left-handed shooting and find it easy to flip down the safety with my left thumb, tho I mostly carry it safety-off off since it is DA/SA, using the DA pull as a safety. The triggers on the later Russian Makarovs (with the adjustable rear sights) are the best, and rival my Sigs.

The Makarov PM is one of those rare guns that makes for an accurate one-handed shooter.

Almost forgot... welcome aboard !
Old April 9, 2013, 08:12 AM   #11
jonnyc

I am a lefty and my Maks and CZ82 are my preferred stash and carry guns.