The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 09:07 PM   #26
Big Steve

You will love it. It is my favorite gun. I sanded on the grips to give them a worn look.
Old April 5, 2013, 02:40 PM   #27
Crunchy Frog

Quarterhorse said:

"I too am looking to do CAS and will become a member of SASS but the 4 gun buy in is steep to do all at once. I'm working on 'em one at a time and will eventually do some matches."

I hear you on the equipment cost. It took me a year to get all of my SASS guns. However, in our club we recommend that people come out before they buy ANY guns, much less all four. Too many people that buy the guns first show up to find that what they bought is not what they should have bought. Also, SASS membership is usually not required for local match participation. I recommend that cowboy shooters be SASS members but it's not a prerequisite.

Treg said:

"The only disadvantage to the [adjustable sighted Blackhawk] would be IF you were to ever compete in an event that didn't allow the adjustable sight."

There is a lot of old information out there from the days when SASS rules limited adjustable sighted revolvers to a "Modern" class. That rule was changed several years back (2009 I think) to allow revolvers with adjustable sights to be used in all "age based categories" (the majority of shooters are here) and in the B-Western category. Fixed sight revolvers are still required in the Classic Cowboy, Duelist and Gunfighter categories.

I've noticed a number of our local shooters gravitating to the Blackhawk lately. The sights are more visible which helps those of us with weakening close up vision to get on target a little faster.
Old April 5, 2013, 05:53 PM   #28
QuarterHorse

Thanks Crunchy, I plan on heading out Sunday for the first match of the year if the weather holds out.

I'm wanting a second "cowboy gun" and a lever action in matching caliber. The only thing I'd be on the fence about would be the shotgun. I can't find a real "use" for it other than the matches. Although they can be "art" while not in use.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:23 PM   #29
Gaucho Gringo

Nobody has mentioned the Taurus Gaucho. For such a maligned gun, it is almost impossible to find a used one for sale. I bought mine new and have had zero problems with it. When they do come up for sale they are way over what paid for mine new. The dirty little secret is they are not the POS the other manufactures smear campaign made out to be. They felt threatened by the Gaucho and reacted in a very bad manner. Why else would you not find Gaucho's used? If they were so bad, people would be glad to dump them for $100-150.00. You can't find one for anywhere double to triple that price. This is why I will never own another Ruger, have owned them in the past and they are the clunkiest revolver I have ever handled and I owned 3 of them in my lifetime. Sold them all and good riddance. Never sell my Taurus.
.357 Taurus Gaucho, .22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 .44 NMA Remingtons, Euroarms & ASM .36 1851 Navies, .31 Uberti Baby Dragoon, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, .43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, .44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 .22, Rossi 62 .22 rifle, Uberti 1860 and IJ .32 S&W BreakTop, .36 Euroarms 1858, .32 S&W long H&R
Old April 6, 2013, 05:22 PM   #30
QuarterHorse

You don't have any more of those Rugers for sale do you?
Old April 6, 2013, 08:46 PM   #31
Bob Wright

The reason I think I don't see Taurus Gauchos used is I've only seen one new one for sale. Not exactly a barn burner in my area.

I've never fired one, only examined one very briefly in a shop. Big turn off to me was the transfer bar system. If my single action has to have a transfer bar, I want it to be a Ruger.

Bob Wright
Old April 7, 2013, 07:07 PM   #32
Auto5

My Super Blackhawk in .44 mag and my Vaquero in .45 lc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130407_184533.jpg (225.5 KB, 9 views)
Old April 7, 2013, 08:23 PM   #33
Jim March

The Gaucho's quality control problems were so bad Taurus canceled the project.

Just because one guy on here got a good one, don't make a mistake and ignore the horrific number of complaints...virtually all of which involved basic metallurgy issues that cannot be fixed after the fact.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:16 AM   #34
2rott

I had a Taurus Gaucho 45 colt for fast draw. It was OK, but when I started shooting Cowboy (SASS) I sold it & got A pair of SASS Vaquero's in 38/357. Great guns. Most of the shooters at our club shoot Vaquero's. When looking into new shooting sports it's always best to check & see what the people that are already doing it are using for equipment & why.

Tags
cowboy action shooting