The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
plouffedaddy

Gen 2 Glock 22 Review

Many Glock owners consider Gen 2 Glocks to be the best models they've made and nowadays these Gen2 guns have been flooding the surplus market as departments upgrade their guns to the newer Gen4 models; particularly the G22s. The good news for the public is that while most of these guns were carried a lot and show some wear, many were shot very little over their lifetime and have plenty of life left in them.

Pros:

-Reliable. The gun has had 0 malfunctions
-Accurate (more accurate than I am)
-Durable. The Gen 2 guns are where Glock built their reputation for durability.
-Easy to maintain
-TONS of aftermarket support
-Accepts 15, and 22 round factory magazines
-Glock has great CS
-Durable finish
-Cheap replacement parts, should you ever need them
-Low Bore Axis resulting in a relatively soft shooting gun
-Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
-Many people prefer the Gen2 grip without the finger grooves present on the Gen3/4 guns

Cons:

-I'm not a fan of the Glock factory plastic sights
-When I first inspected the gun, I noticed the slide stop lever had almost no spring tension and replaced it. What I'm getting at there is that you'll certainly want to inspect the guns because some departments out there do very little armoror work (if any at all) on their guns.
-Gen 2 40S&W Glocks are famous for being vulnerable to "ka-booms" due to a partially unsupported chamber. I personally believe the majority of this these incidents occur due to reloaded ammo but nonetheless it's worth noting.

Here's a video with some shooting from the 12m line, break down the gun, compare the chamber support to a Gen4 Glock, and discuss the pros and cons of the gun:

Gen 2 Glock 22 HD Video Review Link
Old April 4, 2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

I really like Glocks. Good guns and getting an older one at a decent price, maybe a few springs, clean and go. Nothing wrong with a good used gun.

I don't prefer the plastic sights but i can live with them and i don't prefer the finger grips. Other than those few preferences (not a big deal at all) they shoot well, accurate and reliable.

I hear good things about the 22 2nd gens, shot a few and had a 19. Enjoy!
Old April 5, 2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Noreaster

+1 on Depts. not doing required maintenance. What I like the most about Gen 2 is no finger grooves!
Old April 5, 2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Constantine

That was my first plastic gun and Glock. A gen2 Glock 22. I still have it for that very reason.

I haven't shot it much anymore. Not too fond of .40S&W as I once was.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old April 5, 2013, 05:27 PM   #5
shouldazagged

I'm a revolver man again in my old age, but I loved my finger-grooveless G22. Really soft shooter, zero problems of any kind. Had to sell it in a time of financial emergency, but I still miss that gun.
Old April 6, 2013, 01:46 AM   #6
BuckRub

Never owned a gen 2 but I do own a gen 4 and love this gun. Glocks in general are great guns, accurate and reliable as the day is long.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:45 AM   #7
plouffedaddy

Quote:
That was my first plastic gun and Glock.
A Gen2 G22 was actually the first gun of any kind I ever shot back in the police academy. I grew up in a house with a hippy/commie mother and she'd never allow us to own/touch/think about guns. You can see how well that worked out
Old April 6, 2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Noreaster

LOL!!! Thats funny.