The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Beagle333

Thursday, with lead

I got out the NOE again today and made much better friends with it this time. A little dab of MP lube on the pins made the bullets just jump right off. I had to touch the pins again with a Qtip (very lightly dampened) with sprue plate lube about every 150 bullets and it made casting just so much more enjoyable.
I haven't counted em, but it's over 15# of lead, so it's gotta be over 600 bullets in the pan. A 4-banger really dumps out the bullets when it's working like it was designed to! (this is the as-cast pic, so I'm sure you might spot a cull or two in the picture. Sorting comes tonight.)

And I had a few minutes left before I had to start some chores, so I did play with the turtle buster for just a bit. Being a 1-cav, it is very slow going. I want to make some more of them, maybe tomorrow. The weather here is supposed to be superb for tomorrow and Saturday. (around 70°).
(This is as-cast as well, and I already see a round base or two that will go back through the mold tomorrow.)
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 28, 2013, 06:45 PM   #2
GP100man

Addict !!!

I wil have no time this wknd to cast

I need a FFfffix !!
Old March 28, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Hey your getting to be and o'l hand at that partner. Does the Ruger of yours ever get the chance to cool?
Old March 28, 2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Beagle333

Quote:
Does the Ruger of yours ever get the chance to cool?
I got two of 'em. (and the wife's .38 likes cast too)
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; March 28, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old March 29, 2013, 12:29 AM   #5
armoredman

NOE makes a great mold don't they.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Beagle333

I sure like this one. The guy I bought it from, said "If you mix the alloy 66% wheel weight with 33% pure, and add 1% tin (BHN of 9, according to his Cabine Tree tester), and shoot em 875fps, you get"

but I don't shoot em that slow usually. I use isotope lead (95-2.5-2.5) and shoot em 1150fps, because I like the explosive splash of my water jugs, and my before and after pics look like:
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; March 29, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:24 AM   #7
LAH

Those are some good lookin' HP's.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:43 PM   #8
TheBear

beagle333:
what kind of molds are you using? i never saw a hollow point mold at the gunstore or in an online shop....i would love to get one though...
Old April 4, 2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Beagle333

Some of them are Ideal and some are Lyman, and I got a machinist to drill a hole and put a pin in them so I could make hollow points. And some came that way from custom mold makers, MP-molds and NOE molds. The pics in the top of this thread are from a NOE 360160 WFN RG4 and an Ideal 358432.
Miha of MP-molds only really sells through group buys on the castboolits forum.
Al Nelson of Night Owl Enterprises (NOE molds) has a website=
www.noebulletmolds.com and you can surf the column on the left to find the available sizes and styles you are looking for. To get a MP-mold, you gotta get lucky (very lucky) and find one used on the castboolits swappin and sellin forum, or you gotta join a group buy and the wait is usually 12-18+ months.
You can also buy molds that are HP'd or you can have some of your own HP'd by Erik at www.hollowpointmolds.com
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; April 4, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:05 AM   #10
Mike / Tx

Quote:
MP-molds and NOE molds. The pics in the top of this thread are from a NOE 360160 WFN RG4 and an Ideal 358432.
Miha of MP-molds only really sells through group buys on the castboolits forum.
If you look through the Group Buy Section you will find plenty of different "Group Buy's" going on with several of the vendors. Thing is they might take 6+ months or so before getting around to being put into production. Most however are very well worth the wait. As for MP and NOE as well, they both have a web site, and sell some of the over runs both there and on Castoolits. Also if you look under the Vendor Sponsor section of CB's and scroll down, you will see the vendors are listed in order, MiHec usually keep a fairly updated list of what he has on hand listed there,

Mp Molds / Mihec molds on hands

Of course he is a one man band so getting in touch with him is the hard part. If you are interested in one of his molds it is usually best to shoot him an emal from both his web site and through CB's with what you want listed. He will then shoot you a Paypal Invoice, once paid it takes about two weeks to get here.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:25 AM   #11
Beagle333

Time for a new one, maybe?

And I don't know what it is.... but this one is calling to me loudly!
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=365
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:46 AM   #12
LAH

Thinking about one of those myself.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Edward429451

Sweet! 66/33? I'ma gonna have to try that.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:50 PM   #14
snuffy

Quote:
Time for a new one, maybe?
And I don't know what it is.... but this one is calling to me loudly!
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=365
Beagle, I have that one in a Lyman. I never got it to shoot well, Maybe If I were to try again with my new GP-100 instead of the old Ruger blackhawk, it would shoot okay. I'm sure if I get a chance to try it again, it would be fun. No trip to the range is ever wasted, unless it's closed!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 5, 2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Beagle333

Quote:
I have that one in a Lyman. I never got it to shoot well, Maybe If I were to try again with my new GP-100 instead of the old Ruger blackhawk, it would shoot okay.
I got that one in an Ideal, with the round groove. Some folks say they won't chamber in their GP. They will in mine, but they are just a skinny hair under flush with the face of cylinder. If one of em moved at all, it would jam. I shoot em in the Blackhawk. They have plenty of room in there.
I just like the look of the square groove and the bigger driving bands. I'd like to play with one, but one of the MP group buys just closed and my bill will be in the email any day, so I may be short of funds for a while. It'll just have to keep calling to me, until I scrape up some more change.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; April 5, 2013 at 06:07 PM.