The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 2, 2013, 10:17 AM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Listen to kraigwy, he knows about that which he speaks.

As far as "flat-shooting" because you're not good at range estimation and you want to shoot past 500 yards....

The only thing flat enough to make hits on varmint sized critters when guessing ranges at 500 plus, is a laser.

And I'm not kidding.

Run some numbers in a ballistics calculator. Even with ULTRA-flat shooting VLD, heavy for caliber bullets, like a 106gr .243AI loaded HOT at 3,340fps, not a load for the inexperienced or faint-of-heart, a misread distance of 30 yards is 4 or 5 inches. To guess within 30 yards at 500+ you'd have to be REALLY good, like trained and professional. If you're "not very good", which 95% of us aren't, no amount of "flat-shooting" will make up for it.

Besides that, you can get a pretty decent range finder for about $110. Well, well worth the money.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:40 AM   #27
Water-Man

If you're reloading and want to shoot way out there, 6.5x55.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:46 AM   #28
taylorce1

Yes kraigwy knows what he is speaking about. However, does the OP reload? If he doesn't who makes an 87 grain Berger load for the .243 Win outside of custom ammunition? If the OP doesn't reload I'm pretty sure that bullet and others similar in performance will be unavailable in commercial ammunition.

Second get a range finder if you want to shoot to 500 yards and beyond or you'll have to stick with shooting at a rifle range with the ranges clearly marked. The maximum point blank range on a 6" target with a .243 will be around 300 yards using kraigwy's load with Berger bullets at 3000 fps. After that you are going to have to utilize holdover techniques or turn the knobs on your scope to dial in the range.
Old April 2, 2013, 05:09 PM   #29
F23Blackwidow2

Sounds like I better start saving up for a range finder!

How is the .25-06? For some reason, my local gun shop always has at least 2 boxes in stock, even though I've never seen anyone buy it. Is that comparable to the .243?

He granted it.
Old April 2, 2013, 05:54 PM   #30
steveNChunter

The .25-06 shoots just as flat as the .243 with similar, but slightly more recoil. Bullet weights range from 75-120 gr. and it flies about 300 fps faster give or take a few, if comparing bullets of the same weight. You may get a little more barrel life from the '06 but its a bit of a barrel burner as well.(around 4000 rounds average) Factory ammo isn't the cheapest but if you reload for it, the cartridge really comes to life and its super easy to find brass since .270, .280, and 30-06 can be used when re-sized to .257. 24-26" barrels see the best velocity, but I own one with a 22" that shoots very well, although I've never checked it with a chrony to see how much speed I'm losing. Id say about 80-100 fps less than a 24"

I'm experimenting with loads for my 25-06 right now using 100gr Nosler ballistic tips over IMR 4831.

While its my favorite deer cartridge, it would not be my first choice for a dedicated target shooting rifle. But it would work

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by steveNChunter; April 2, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old April 2, 2013, 06:35 PM   #31
F23Blackwidow2

What about the .280 Rem?

I was doing so research on the Winchester ballistics calculator (Get yours now for Apple and Android!) and I found out that about of all the carriages on the app, the only cartridges that shoot flatter and with less wind drift than the .280 Rem in 140 grain ballistic silver tip were light 7mm Mag and 7mm WSM loads.

Why have I never heard about this? Has anyone? Is it just really rare?

Thanks,
Ken B.

He granted it.
Old April 2, 2013, 06:37 PM   #32
hgmeyer

Target rifle

I would get a Savage in .25-06 with a good scope. Its a sort of compromise but gets you in the door and started down the right path. Your next rifle will be what you want and the Savage will be easy to trade/sell to fund you at the next level.
Old April 2, 2013, 06:49 PM   #33
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by F23Blackwidow2
I was doing so research on the Winchester ballistics calculator (Get yours now for Apple and Android!) and I found out that about of all the carriages on the app, the only cartridges that shoot flatter and with less wind drift than the .280 Rem in 140 grain ballistic silver tip were light 7mm Mag and 7mm WSM loads.

Why have I never heard about this? Has anyone? Is it just really rare?
Mind you, that is with only Winchester bullets and loaded only how Winchester happens to load them.

The .280 Rem is not all that rare. It's not like .243 common but it's out there.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old April 2, 2013, 06:56 PM   #34
WIN1886

I heard some are doing pretty well using the .260 Remington cartridge in long range competition.
Old April 2, 2013, 06:59 PM   #35
Wyosmith

Well one rifle that might fit the bill is the Savage M-25 in the 5.45X39 Russian round.
This ammo is WAY more than it was before the Sandy Hook shooting, but it’s still only about .30 cents a round and you can't reload anything else on the market for much less than that.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:13 PM   #36
JD0x0

.270 win is fairly flat shooting with 130 and 150 grain bullets. If you use lighter 83-110gr 6.8mm bullets, with a hot load, you can achieve even more flatness. Even the lightest 6.8mm BT rounds have decent BC's