The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2013, 04:14 PM   #1
rc1988

Greasing Sig Sauer Rails...

Hey guys I just picked up my first new to me sig the other day, and last night i cleaned and lubed it up before firing this weekend. I cleaned just like all my other semi autos , except i know that the rails had to be GREASED instead of oiled. I did check out florks page and that was very helpful....My buddy acutally gave me a bottle of tetra gun grease that he had for a while....i noticed it kind of came out of the bottle like oil (not real thick) but i noticed it says pretty much right where you put it.... Im just curious if you guys think this is enough grease and did i do it right? And when im done shooting do I wipe off all the old grease and than re-apply?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grease1.jpg (214.1 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg grease2.jpg (226.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg grease3.jpg (209.6 KB, 135 views)
Old March 28, 2013, 04:17 PM   #2
tristar viper

Ya know, I have never used grease on the rails on my 226. Now I am not saying that what I do is correct, but I do oil them and I have never experienced any kind of wear. I clean it after every range trip, so if there were any wear I would see it.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:39 PM   #3
wpsdlrg

Looks OK. You may have over done it a bit, but that certainly won't hurt anything.

I always have (and always will) apply a bit of grease to the rails on my pistols, just as a matter of principle (if nothing else). Can't hurt (unless you take the gun out into 50 below temps)....and lubrication always serves to reduce wear. So, why not ?

I don't even bother with special "gun greases" any more, as well. I settled on a high temp all-purpose auto grease (though not thick, gooey, dark colored, wheel bearing grease). Rather, a relatively thin, reddish translucent type which seems to work very well - stays put and never gets "gummy".

Just wipe off (the old) and reapply when you clean the gun.

The bottom line is: go ahead and use the grease, though sparingly (a little is all that's needed). It may not really be absolutely necessary, but it can't hurt and certainly will reduce wear.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:44 PM   #4
thedudeabides

Can't overlube a metal gun.

I usually get my steel and alloy Sigs as wet as my 1911s. I use Slip 2000 EWL and get it into the hammer and trigger--places rust can hide.

I also put lube all over the barrel, even if there's no bushing, it still cycles more smoothly.

The TWP-25 crap that comes with most Sigs is garbage. It stays where you put it and is a crud magnet. It also gets extra thick when it's at or below freezing outside.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:47 PM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
Looks OK. You may have over done it a bit, but that certainly won't hurt anything.

I always have (and always will) apply a bit of grease to the rails on my pistols, just as a matter of principle (if nothing else). Can't hurt (unless you take the gun out into 50 below temps)....and lubrication always serves to reduce wear. So, why not ?

I don't even bother with special "gun greases" any more, as well. I settled on a high temp all-purpose auto grease (though not thick, gooey, dark colored, wheel bearing grease). Rather, a relatively thin, reddish translucent type which seems to work very well - stays put and never gets "gummy".

Just wipe off (the old) and reapply when you clean the gun.

The bottom line is: go ahead and use the grease, though sparingly (a little is all that's needed). It may not really be absolutely necessary, but it can't hurt and certainly will reduce wear.
Sorry but this post contains some bad advice when it comes to Sigs. Sigs like to be run wet. A little grease will not properly protect the alum frame rails from the hard nitron finish and the stainless steel slide.

It is ok to use high temp auto grease but a little will not properly protect a Sig IMHO. Take a look at this link it was written by Flork who works at Apex Tactical and used to be Bruce Grays right hand man. He and Bruce know how to take care of a Sig and this is what both of them recommend. YMMV

http://www.apextactical.com/blog/ind...-pistol-rails/

-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old March 28, 2013, 06:27 PM   #6
BarryLee

I use Brian Enos’s Slide-Glide on my SIGs and haven’t experienced any negative issues. I have heard that SIGs run best “wet” and have always followed that principal again with no issues.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 28, 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Microgunner

I grease the rails up pretty good with RIG Universal Gun Grease, start racking the slide and wipe off what oozes out.
Done.
Old March 28, 2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Dragline45

I use Brownlells Action Lube Plus grease on my slide rails, it can be used on sears too and really smooths out the action. It is a moly based grease and works wonders, I much prefer it to oil. Only grip I have with it is that it is a black grease like used in the photos and article posted above. It can get pretty messsy.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Misssissippi Dave

I started using Brian Enos Slide Glide Lite on the rails of my Sig pistols some time ago. Now I use it on the slide rails of every gun I have. It works well and has provided the lube needed even when shooting 500 rounds at a time in any of my pistols. I just wipe off the old grease when cleaning and apply new. I also apply it to the outside of the barrel as well.
Old March 28, 2013, 09:34 PM   #10
DMZX

My SIG P250 came with a little tube of Mil Comm TW25b, a synthetic grease. It seems to work very well.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:56 PM   #11
skywag

I spray LPS2 on them and wipe it off. Sig P228 loves it.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:23 PM   #12
bamaranger

sigs

Armorers classes describe the Sigs as "wet" pistols. Sig is big on the Tw25b and it is a super lube that is for sure. I'm not so sure that the rails need to be "greased" but certainly well lubed. Seems like one of the points of the armorers classes are that a well lubed surface "will show a visible sheen of lubricant".

That grease types stay put is actually a plus. Liquids tend to run, away from where you want them, and often into places you don't.

Any lube that runs on mini guns can't be "crap". Applying lube to the point that is gobbed on is not advisable. Seems like the directions for the 25b says it is propperly applied when no white grease is actually visible.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:54 PM   #13
Water-Man

Wilson Combat Ultima Lube Universal on my SIGs.
Old March 29, 2013, 03:34 AM   #14
Hammerhead

Slide Glide Lite for full frame rail guns like Sigs and CZ's for me.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:12 AM   #15
wpsdlrg

"though sparingly (a little is all that's needed). It may not really be absolutely necessary, but it can't hurt and certainly will reduce wear."

Geez. Fine. I officially withdraw the words "though sparingly (a little is all that's needed)".....and substitute "grease that puppy up ! Goop it on !" ...... because after all, "Flork" and "Bruce" say so. And we all know that they are the gods of Siggery, right ? And while you're at it, better order plenty of Flork and Bruce's super dooper gun grease (and pay whatever ridiculous price they ask)....because no mere mortal grease will do, especially not that recommended and supplied by the company that made the gun !

Way to split hairs, WV.

One thing I can always count on, here at FL....someone will always try to start an argument, no matter what the circumstance.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:25 AM   #16
rodfac

Looks like more than enough to me. I grease my rails on a P290 and a P226 with US military weapons grease purchased long ago at a gun show...1 qt. in a can was $2...designed for guns that with a milspec, testing background, it's worked well for me. Using that grease on a cpl M1's, several 1911's, two Sig, I've yet seen a failure to extract or chamber that was lube related.

I keep my guns clean, field strip them after each shooting session, no matter what the round count is and have had no problems. The only guns I don't grease are two Glocks, a G19 and a G23, that I oil with CLP per a Glock armorer's suggestion.

HTH's, Rod

Last edited by rodfac; March 29, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:29 AM   #17
TailGator

Quote:
Armorers classes describe the Sigs as "wet" pistols. Sig is big on the Tw25b and it is a super lube that is for sure. I'm not so sure that the rails need to be "greased" but certainly well lubed. Seems like one of the points of the armorers classes are that a well lubed surface "will show a visible sheen of lubricant".
My wife picked up a P238 earlier this week and although I don't recall the exact phraseology the instruction manual seemed to recommend that we lubricate sparingly. Would your recommend that we run the little .380 pretty wet, too?
Old March 29, 2013, 04:38 PM   #18
thedudeabides

All Sig manuals say that you should lubricate sparingly. I disagree with that and get the rails soaked with lube then wipe off the rest with a cloth.

The P238 is very similar to the Mustang and that one is meant to run wet.

I maintain that TWP-25 is too thick for Sigs, and only good for storage--since it literally stays where you put it.

I have had half of a dozen non-1911 Sigs over the years, and have always kept them well-lubed. I don't see how they would be different from any other metal gun with full-length rails in terms of how much you should use.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:07 PM   #19
TailGator

What you say makes sense. I was actually feeling a little sheepish, because when my wife bought her new pistol home I showed her hot to field strip it and clean it, and then lubed it up pretty wet before looking at the manual.

Thanks for the advice, and for the justification, as well.

My wife also said that the manual said not to use any solvents, that it would ruin the finish. Is that true of Hoppes 9? Should she use only oil for cleaning? (My first Sig if you can't tell.)
Old March 29, 2013, 08:14 PM   #20
WVsig

The P238 is a modified Colt mustang and really is not a Sig at all. Maybe a Sig in name only. I would still use grease on the rails.

Hoppes should not hurt the Nitron finish.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old March 29, 2013, 08:42 PM   #21
TailGator

Thanks for the advice. I couldn't imagine that being an issue, but since my wife saw that and the discussion was underway I figured I should ask.

I have heard of the close comparison to the Mustang before. Even if the design is not original to Sig, they are executing it well. The little pistol is really a gem, very nicely made. My wife is delighted with it, and I am quite impressed as well.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:18 AM   #22
Buckdown

rails should be lightly greased.I also grease the barrel interlock and hammer face.I have been using red shooters choice with a syringe for easy application
Old April 9, 2013, 02:24 PM   #23
blfuller

The Tetra Grease should be white in color unless they changed the formulation. It can separate in the tube so it would be good to knead the tube well before using it.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:19 PM   #24
Rinspeed

Quote:
Sigs like to be run wet.

No, actually Sigs don't require any lubrication than any other metal on metal pistol.
Old April 9, 2013, 09:49 PM   #25
Constantine

I run my SIG's wet. 1911's & BHP's as well....wait...I don't run my Glock's or M&P's wet.....I see a pattern here

lol yeah...all alloy on steel or steel on steel weapons need to be greased well.

The M&P and Glock's..I run the way they recommend with maybe just a little more than what they say. The 4 contact points on the frame and barrel. Along with certain internals that make contact with the slide.

My SIG's, 1911's, BHP's? I grease both rails on the frame and slide. Barrel..etc. Then rack the slide a dozen times, wipe down the excess on the outside and call it a day.

I left out a few other spots, but that's just a quick run down.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen