The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 10:38 AM   #1
trespass

FN FNX changing the grip panel????

ok,,got me a new FN FNX 40, I like this thing...being old browning guy its controls and feel are good for me...BUT...trying to change the rear grip panel.
Theoretically, I use a punch to depress a pin the old panel slides off and new one slides on...NOT. have just about bent my punch and nada.

So, what is the deal? Anybody done this and got advice?

thanks...
Old March 29, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Karrill

With the punch inserted, you have to slide the panel down. Kinda use the punch to guide / lever arm a little bit. It doesnt really have to be pushed in all that hard, its just using it to pry the strap down that is weird.

Its kinda tough, but I did it on my FNX9 to put the small, aggressive backstrap on.
Old March 31, 2013, 04:54 PM   #3
trespass

thanks

took 2 of us...one pushing punch and holding weapon, other with a 2nd punch through lanyard ring pulling backstrap off...tight!
thanks for assist. I was concerned I was about to tear something up it was
so difficult.
Old March 31, 2013, 10:50 PM   #4
1hogfan83

Are you holding your tongue right?
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old April 1, 2013, 11:05 AM   #5
nixfix

I had the same issue last night with my FNS-9. Put some lube on the thin back strap before putting it on, helps a lot.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:58 PM   #6
dontcatchmany

Thanks for this thread.

After studying an ambidextrous semi, I settled on a couple that seem good for my lefthandedness..

But, I handled (could not shoot it) a FNX 40 today.......man that thing is easy for my arthritic hands....everythig about it seemed easy to handle.

Later went to the range and rented a M&P shield 9mm. Totally right handed weapon and I must say that I had problems with it. Not a bad shooter, but I definitely know that I gots to go as fully lefthanded as possible. Do not have any problem with my revolvers.

Luckily a local dealer has more than two FNX 40's in house.

The grip on the one I tried seemd good for me, but I appreciate this thread as it gives me a couple of other things to think about.

Dang it, I have used up all my North Carolina permits and am taking the Concealed class this Saturday (took it before but never got the permit) so got to wait a short while prior to purchase.

Then it is on to a subcompact in maybe 9mm.

And after a flurry AR15 and AR10 type rifles I thought I had cured this darnmed black gun disease.

Congrats on the FNX.