The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2013, 07:50 AM   #1
odugrad

Corrosive ammo

I usually go to the range once a week. I use everything from Winchester white box, PMC, American Eagle, Fiocchi, remington, magtech, etc, all in 9mm. Are any of these considered corrosive? I clean my guns after my trips to the range, I'm just curious if I should avoid any of these. Thanks.
Old March 28, 2013, 07:59 AM   #2
ScottRiqui

All of those are fine - you'd only need to worry about corrosive ammo if you were shooting some old surplus stuff. I don't think there's been corrosive ammo made in the U.S. or non-Communist Europe since about the 60s.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Commercially, corrosive ammunition was pretty much out of production in the United States before World War II.

The military stuck with corrosive priming in .45 and .30-06 into the early 1950s. M1 carbine ammo was never corrosive primed.

GENERALLY, anything made commercially in Europe after about 1960 should be OK. There were some exceptions made for match ammo, where it was felt that the old corrosive priming compounds contributed to better accuracy.

Anything with the NATO "cross in circle" mark should be OK, as NATO acceptance standards call for non-corrosive priming.

Combloc military ammo?

That's the crap shoot.

I ALWAYS treat combloc military ammo (and often European military ammo no matter what year it was made) as corrosive, and clean accordingly.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 28, 2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Slamfire

Corrosive ammunition used chlorate based primers. These primers were stable, performed great, might be cheap to make. The US military used these primers up to the 60's, most were out of the system by the mid 50's. Communist block counteries may still be using chlorate primers.

The chlorate primers leave cloride salts in the barrel. Salts attract water and aggressively spread rust. Salts won't dissolve in oil so users of corrosive primers must use a water based cleaner, or water, to get the stuff out of their barrels.

FA 70 was a widely used rifle primer compound. As you can see, everything else is based on lead styphnate, which are the current "non corrosive" primers.

Your barrel will still rust if you don't clean it out, just takes longer.

Old March 28, 2013, 08:47 PM   #5
James K
Staff

As Mike says, most U.S. commercial primers were non-corrosive by the mid to late 1930's. But the U.S. Army was concerned about stability, and the idea of having billions of rounds of ammo becoming duds gave ordnance officers nightmares. So the Army kept the old FA 70 corrosive primer composition through WWII.

The sole exception was the carbine; the Army made an exception after Winchester and Williams told them that corrosive primers would mean total failure of the little rifle under combat conditions. (The Army considered the carbine a secondary weapon and a wartime expedient and intended to replace it as soon as the war was over; in fact, it remained in service after the M1 rifle was replaced by the M14.)

Jim