The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2013, 02:48 PM   #1
jrfalkner

Ammunition safe???

I have an early model 1911 Colt 45 (serial # 9717). I have been firing standard 45 ammo but discovered that the personal protection ammunition I recently purchased (but not yet fired) is +P. Can the original barrel deal with the +P ? If the answer is "no" can I purchase a new barrel that will withstand the +P ammo?
Old March 27, 2013, 02:56 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

If "9717" is the entire serial number, I wouldn't be firing it at all. I think that serial number would make yours a first-year example, and it's probably worth much more as a collectible than as a shooter.

And I don't think the barrel is necessarily the issue, either. The slides on the early 1911s weren't heat-treated, and the locking lugs would get battered and deformed with use.
Old March 28, 2013, 07:22 AM   #3
cecILL

Must agree with Scott, don't shoot the 1911 untill you know what you've got!
Pictures will help the experts here.
Old March 28, 2013, 07:27 AM   #4
vba

Wow! If, as others have stated, that is truly the serial number DON'T SHOOT IT!

That may be a valuble collectible...
Old March 28, 2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Slamfire

If you have a pre WW1 M1911 your pistol maybe worth thousands. Any wear you add to it, just peel $100.00 bills out of your wallet and burn them.

Also, those old Colts were made out of dead soft plain carbon steels. Enough people have posted here that it apparent those early pistols were not heat treated. Safe with loads of the era, but something is going to give with +P loads.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:03 AM   #6
rodfac

I agree with Scott...that 1911 is worth some serious money...if you insist on firing it, get some regular pressure ammunition for it...no need to batter the gun with the +P stuff. Rod