The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 20, 2013, 09:37 PM   #26
osbornk

My daughter lives in East Tennessee near the Virginia state line (and I live in Virginia). She has the advantage of no income tax and she drops across the line into Virginia to shop with a low sales tax. Also, living here is cheap.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:54 PM   #27
MphsTiger1981

Looking to move IL to TN

Congrats to the OP for having the guts to make a positive change in your life. We would welcome you and your family to Tn. More people need to take control of their lives and migrate to places more friendly to the US Constitution, be it here or some other gun friendly states.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:50 AM   #28
Wbdisco

The Chattanooga area is prime I think. But i am a little bias. The inner city is rough, but suburbs are great. Atlanta, Knoxville, and Nashville are all 2 hrs away or less. Nice mountains surrounding the city and plenty of cheap land and low cost of living.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:52 AM   #29
motorhead0922

I recently traveled to Nashville. Before going, I checked the Tennessee laws at handgunlaw.us, and found some restrictions troubling.
1. There seems to be a restriction on having a round chambered in a vehicle.
2. Ambiguous laws on carrying in TVA areas and Land Between the Lakes.

I think I misread the restriction in city parks and trails. Seems okay there now that I re-read the info.

Anyway, I left my gun at home for the trip. I survived.

Missouri looks a lot better!

"Give me liberty or give me death." - Patrick Henry
Old March 22, 2013, 11:02 AM   #30
22-rimfire

No restriction on having a round chambered inside your vehicle in a handgun IF you have the HCP.
There are no restrictions on carry inside places like the Land Between the Lakes or any park as long as you have a HCP. Everything depends on the HCP.
There are local restrictions on park carry which generally mean parks inside the city, not state parks, national parks, national forests, WMA's and so forth. BUT, you can not shoot in national forests (all WMA's in TN as far as I know) except at ranges, during hunting season if you have the required permit for that WMA, or for self defense. Basically, you can't take a walk in the woods in a WMA carrying a 22 rifle and plink while you are there legally. That particular rule needs to change.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:55 AM   #31
Yankee Traveler

Tennessee's carry permit has reciprocity with 38 other states. 2nd only to Arkansas at 39.

According to Handgunlaw.us
Old March 22, 2013, 12:29 PM   #32
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Traveler
Tennessee's carry permit has reciprocity with 38 other states. 2nd only to Arkansas at 39.

I've looked at the reciprocity maps and determined that I basically don't need any out-of-state permits. There are times when it's good to be from Arkansas!

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old March 22, 2013, 08:35 PM   #33
22-rimfire

Same here with TN. I don't need any non-resident carry permits either.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:30 PM   #34
SundownRider

if i can find a position teaching or administrative position, I'm on my way, guns and all!

Mike Madigan, Pat Quinn, and Rahm Emanuel can keep their mess. It's too bad, because the people of Illinois are okay, they just make stupid choices when it comes to politicians.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old March 23, 2013, 08:30 AM   #35
Spats McGee
Staff

Should you find yourself on the western end of TN, come see us in AR. We'll recognize y'all's permit! (Oh, and be sure you understand the correct usage of "y'all." It's a very important word in both TN and AR.)

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 23, 2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old March 23, 2013, 07:30 PM   #36
PoiDog

TN is on my short list of states to move to, from IL. IL makes many states look very good by comparison.

I'm close to retirement, and will be on a fixed income. So taxes are important to me. TN looks pretty good since they don't tax income, or pensions, or SS. The sales tax you control by simply not spending as much money on buying things.

KY is a bit higher in tax bite, but has very good gun laws. MO is a little rougher on taxes, they even tax SS and pensions, but have exemptions. I have more research to do.

I've worked in KY, but haven't been to TN yet. I will fix that later this year. KY is a beautiful state, and I've heard the same about TN. Of course, among IL's other faults is it's built like a pool table. The only high things are crime and taxes.

We are #1 in governors serving time, though. WooHoo, we're number one!!

I am ready to move. I already know the difference between y'all and all y'all. I learned that in KY. LOL
Old March 24, 2013, 04:52 AM   #37
jughead2

move to tenn.

i just gained a new neighbor from IL. they have been here a few months. the husband was amazed that he could almost walk out his back door and pop off a few rounds if he wanted. his wife is a very good cook. anyone that can put up with this old man has to be good people
Old March 24, 2013, 07:20 AM   #38
shortwave

Quote:
We are #1 in governors serving time, though. WooHoo, we're number one!!
Yes, IL. is known for breeding corrupt politicians. Especially around the Chic. area. Some even stay out of jail long enough to make it to DC.

Congrats on a wise move.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:23 AM   #39
OuTcAsT

I am a life long resident of Tennessee, have visited many other places but, theres no place like Home ! The areas around Nashville are excellent places to live and work. Come on down y'all !

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old March 24, 2013, 07:25 PM   #40
PoiDog

I've had enough crime to last me the rest of my life, so what are the low crime areas of TN?

I assume out of any major city, like everywhere else?

I lean more towards a rural setting anyway, small town anyway.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:46 PM   #41
SundownRider

Just got notice that I am licensed to teach in TN!

Hoo Baby!

Now to find a job!

And a range!

And a house!

(Notice the order of things...)
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)