The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2013, 05:53 PM   #1
pathdoc

Just out of interest - heavy bullets in .45 ACP?

My interest in reloading was first kindled by reading a library copy of Nick Harvey's Aussie reloading manual (second edition). I vaguely remember that it published loads for 260 grain bullets in the .45ACP. When I read reloading books today, however, it seems everybody stops at 230 grains, at least in the jacketed projectile world.

So - was it a misprint? Or are people out there actually loading heavier bullets? The QuickLOAD internal ballistics program suggests it should be possible, but what it says and what the cartridge will perform like (esp. with regards to cycling the 1911) might be two very different things. (OTOH I can imagine a 325 grain slug moving at about 700fps as being a very useful thing to fire from something like the WW2 DeLisle carbine, where reliably cycling the action is irrelevant.)
Old March 21, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

Not a misprint. Just many of the guns today have tigher chambers, and tend to choke on the heavier bullets that tend to be sized to .452.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Slamfire

I had an article from Handloader I think, the guy had data for 250 grain bullets in a M1911. I would never do it as the recoil would be hard and I don't the slide to peen the frame.

A 250-260 grain bullet will work well in a 45 ACP revolver, but by the time you get up to 45 LC velocities the pressures in that small case are much higher.

Really, the 45 ACP is a short case that was developed to function in a semi auto, the operating envelope is small, it works best with a 230 grain bullet, any heavier and the trade off's are not worth it in my opinion.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:10 AM   #4
rclark

I shoot .45 ACP loaded with 250g RNFP in my revolvers. Works good. What's a semi-auto? ... kidding, but don't own a 1911... I like to shoot the bigger bullet because it matches up with my .45 Colt rounds and I don't have to stock light bullets or re-adjust sights. In a revolver, you can use the .45 auto rim data for loading .45 ACP.
A clinger. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes improperly referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. Ok.... the .44Spec is growing on me ... but the .45 Colt is still king.
Old March 22, 2013, 12:21 PM   #5
iraiam

speer makes a 260 grain bullet and has 45 auto recipes in their manual.

I have tried this bullet, but the slide came back and smacked the stop pretty hard every time, even did this just a little above sthe starting charge for the recipe.

I personally stick to 230 grain bullets.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 22, 2013, 12:32 PM   #6
schmellba99

I've used the Speer 260 grain recipie, on the low end, with great accuracy out of my .45 ACP. I didn't have really what I noticed to be excessive recoil to be honest.

I like the idea of a slow, heavy HP in my .45 ACP for defense purposes.
Old March 22, 2013, 01:16 PM   #7
lamarw

Just joking~ How dead do you want dead?

I would not consider it because it seems senseless in my use of the weapon. Then the price of bullets would also probably jump needlessly over the cost of smaller bullets and more common ones.
Old March 22, 2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Ozzieman

I have fired 255 lead semi wadcutters out of my ACP, but it seemed to have some feeding problems.
Acutely shot them out of my Ruger Blackhawk with the ACP cylinder as a “Wonder how that will work?”
Not a lot of power but if I couldn’t get long colt cases it would work.

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old March 22, 2013, 02:09 PM   #9
schmellba99

Quote:
Just joking~ How dead do you want dead?

I would not consider it because it seems senseless in my use of the weapon. Then the price of bullets would also probably jump needlessly over the cost of smaller bullets and more common ones.
A bad guy can never be dead enough?

The projectiles were some leftovers from when my grandfather passed, so any cost associated with them wasn't in the consideration for me. I've never bought them specifically for my 1911, though they did produce very good accuracy results out of my 3" compact.

I agree with the sentiment though of them being kind of a novelty round for the 1911, and considering that I have 900+ 185 gr XTP's at my disposal it would seem silly to run out and buy some heavy projos for the same purpose (though I still like the idea of a slow, heavy projectile in an SD round).
Old March 22, 2013, 02:29 PM   #10
redleg1013

Re: Just out of interest - heavy bullets in .45 ACP?

Buffalo Bore makes a 255gr and IF memory serves, it's a +P as well
Old March 22, 2013, 08:13 PM   #11
zeke

One of the most accurate loads i ever tried in 5 inch semi was a 255 grain lrnfp from 45 acp. The target version was around 710 fps using unique and a common cowboy action bullet. The heavier version used a lee molded 255 lrnfp with a rather large meplat grtting apr 850 fps. Not presure tested but likely a hotter load and used a heavier recoil spring.

Where col is used is pistol/barrel leade/chamber cut dependent.
Old March 23, 2013, 05:28 PM   #12
pathdoc

Thanks all for your info.

Went back and checked Speer Manual #14, and am pretty sure they only go up to 230gn. Odd. Could they print different manuals for different markets? Unlikely as all the powders they list are generally North American ones rather than the local ADI stuff (granted that some of those are either Hodgdon rebranded or made by ADI for Hodgdon).
Old March 24, 2013, 08:18 AM   #13
Mike / Tx

I have shot enough of the Lee .452-255 RFN, which fall out at 260grs with my alloy, to know they shoot very well and accurately from my 1911. I don't make it a regular habit of doing so, but I also didn't notice any issues once I stripped it down for a good cleaning.

I have also shot the MP .452-630 as well using both the large and small pin HP's and they also shot very well. Using between 4 and 5 grains of Unique they make a fine shooting round. Again I don't make it a regular practice but I do have one clip full of the MP's which goes with me everywhere the 1911 goes.

This is a little test I did when I first gave them a try,
Cast - VS - Jacketed

While not totally conclusive, and being that the alloy I used is a bit hard for the velocity they are running, the newer ones with the softer alloy really do open up nicely and I would think they would do a good job on or against anything I were to put them to task on.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:01 PM   #14
iraiam

Quote:
Went back and checked Speer Manual #14, and am pretty sure they only go up to 230gn.
You are correct I checked my speer #14, it ends at 230 grain bullets.

My speer #12 & #13 lists a bullet "45 Mag-JHP" 260 grains, it appears that both the 12 & 13 manuals contain the same recipe data for the 260 grain bullet. I would note that this is the data I used when the book was new; I tried this bullet and found it to be pretty hard on the mechanical stop of the slide.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 24, 2013, 02:17 PM   #15
m&p45acp10+1

Sierra list for a 240 grain JHC (Sierra #8820) With a COL of 1.185.

I have a one for all with a listing from Speer for a 260 grain JHP (Speer bullet # 4481) Tested COL was 1.200)

Lyman list with a cast lead load for a rifle load with a 255 grain bullet (Lyman mold # 452484) COL Tested was 1.272

I found all 3 of those loads listed in the One Book/One Caliber book I bought in 2008.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:48 PM   #16
chiefr

I don't see the sense in it. The 230gr hardball has proven itself time after time in two World Wars.
But, if you need a heavier bullet. Press on.
Old March 24, 2013, 04:05 PM   #17
Hunter Customs

Back in the days of the major pin shoots around the country it was not uncommon for me to see shooters shooting 255 gr semi-wadcutters in their 1911 limited (stock) guns.

I tried them but I had better results using my hot load 230 or 185 hollow points.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms
Old March 24, 2013, 05:25 PM   #18
chiefr

Make sense Hunter Customs.
Forgot all about bowling pins. The place I used to shoot at bowling pins gave it up. I guess for a lack of interest or pins.
I tried bowling pins back in the '80s. I used regular 230 hardball. I can remember the real pin fanatics used to file notches in their bullets to grip the pin. Not sure what happened to pin shoots. I would guess silhouetes.