The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
mjes92

Alox, wipe clean?

I'm casting .358, 158 grain SWC tumble lube.
Light Tumble lubing with alox
Sizing to .358
Light Tumble lubing again.
When I seat the bullets I get a lot of alox build up.
Do you guys wipe the bullet tips clean of Alox prior to seating?
What about before storage.

Thanks
Old March 21, 2013, 11:51 PM   #2
ricklaut

When I first started casting & tumble lubing, I was seeing some buildup in my seating dies. I realized that I was over doing the lube... and no longer have that problem. I've seated somewhere over 3000 9mm boolits w/o cleaning the die and don't see any buildup in them now.

I store my loads in plastic bags or small plastic containers & stopped wiping them off quite a while back. They're a little sticky... but it's just annoying. When I was spending time wiping them off (only after they were loaded), I used a dab of mineral spirits on a cloth.
Old March 22, 2013, 02:36 AM   #3
Hammerhead

I like to give my alox bullet several days drying time before loading. If I don't have the time I'll warm them up with a hair dryer to dry them faster.

With SWC's, after the final lubing I stand them upright on a cloth together and use a rag to blot any excess alox of the nose. Helps keep the dies cleaner. Even then you have to clean the dies more often. I keep a small jar of mineral spirits and wooden Q tips handy.

I gave up on cleaning the loaded rounds. As long as you keep them in a container of some kind, the extra lube on the shoulder area should do more good than harm. If I were taking the on a hunting trip, I would wipe the excess of with a rag and spirits so they don't attract dirt.