The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 4, 2008, 02:50 AM   #51
Mike5150

I've been looking into getting/having made, an American Derringer Model 8 (or model 6) in 10mm Magnum. Hear me out, I'd use .40 S&W with home made moon clips or even 10mm for target shooting.

I picture an ankle rig, going from ankle to mid calf. Unzip cargo pants at the knee and pull out mini cannon. If my 40 S&W didn't have enough penetration, (picture bad guys in full body armor) then pull out the 10mm Magnum in FMJ. More of a fun gun than a serious defense pistol, in the "ready for anything" category.

I've never been sensitive to recoil, and if I ever needed it, I'd just be glad I felt that end of the gun. Might not like it, but I'd live with a smack to the hand.

Other than criticism of my idea, any logistical comments. Can a Model 8 take the pressure of a 10mm Magnum, etc?

(btw yes I am also looking into a S&W 610 reamed to a 10mm Magnum, but can't take a big N frame with me as easily as a derringer and it's $1K+)

Last edited by Mike5150; September 4, 2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old September 4, 2008, 06:46 AM   #52
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm a fan of the 10mm Magnum...I currently have an Automag 4 in 10mm mag, & a Contender barrel in 10mm mag, & looking at doing a 610 as well...

I guess I never considered a derringer... can you machine one safely for moon clips ??? I'd think the clips would have to be custom made, as the barrels are probably differently spaced than the cylinders... but don't know... maybe you could cut 2 or 3 from a revolver clip???
Old September 4, 2008, 09:52 AM   #53
Old John

Gone, Gone..............

Well, since last year, at this time,(See my above post), a lot has changed.
The Bond Arms Texas Defender in .45Colt/.410 is gone.
I sold it to my DSon, as a back-up to his Taurus Judge........He really
wanted that derringer.
I did it so that I could use the money, on a S&W 442/638 Airweight, .38.
I'd rather have a lighter weight 5-shooter.

The Bond Cowboy Defender, in .45acp, is going as soon I can find a local buyer. As well, the Davis Arms .38 special derringer is going too.

Oh, DSW gave up on her's in favor of a Keltec PF9.
She's happier with that.

But,.......Derringers are cool.
No regrets.
Old September 4, 2008, 11:52 AM   #54
Mike5150

To be honest I gave the moon clips the least thought. Figured I'd cut a revolver moon clip, and bend/weld/hammer to get a decent fit. I'll have to look into the spacing. I carry a Glock 22 all the time, and plan on a Glock 27 for ALL the time backup, along with my S&W 649 pocket gun. Plus extra glock mags and a Spyderco Matriarch, I most likely won't be needing a 357 derringer, but a 10mm Magnum, that would simply be cool. Not needed, logical, necessary, etc. but kinda cool. (if it can be done safely) Since that rifle round works, (see first post on this thread) a 10mm Magnum should work.

Last edited by Mike5150; September 4, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old September 4, 2008, 02:02 PM   #55
Mike5150

Did American Derringer make the Model 6 or Model 8 in 40 S&W or better yet 10mm. Are they reasonable about custom orders? Or should I track down a .357 and have it reamed all the way down the barrel? This would be in some time, when I get the funds. I know they made Model 1 in 40 S&W.

Going back to the original question of the thread, If I don't carry my S&W 649 in my pocket I plan on getting a DA-38 in 40S&W in it's place. The only two gun designs I know of that allow shooting in a pocket without jaming (snaging on cloth) for the second shot. Not that I'd ever want to shoot through my pocket.
Old September 4, 2008, 08:00 PM   #56
NotJim

Fabric and Flying Bullets

Just a note on shooting from inside a pocket:

I would do that ONLY under the most exigent circumstances.

Even very ordinary fabrics can do wild things to a projectile's trajectory. A bullet striking fabric, especially loose fabric at a low angle, can be slowed, stopped, or most likely redirected by the fabric in unpredictable ways.

There's a video floating around of an Iranian insurgent who is shot-up by American forces while attempting to launch an RPG at them. In the video, the path of one of the bullets that struck the unfortunate fellow can be clearly seen as it passes out of his back (having entered from the front) and is redirected by his shirt, straight downwards into the pavement, where it strikes with enough force to produce a bright incandescence. I have a copy of the clip somewhere, will dig it up on request.

I have seen a hanging wool blanket stop a (ricocheted) bullet that was moving fast enough to be thoroughly deadly. How do I know its speed? I don't really, but the spent bullet (140 gr FMJ .38) wound up lying on the ground beneath the blanket. It had produced a permanent conical stretch-zone in the old wool blanket that was about 8 inches deep. Curious how much impact was required for that effect, and while the slug was still hot, I fired it at the same blanket from a 'wrist-rocket' slingshot. The slingshot, as anyone who'd ever used one would know, launched that bullet at potentially-lethal velocity. It was stopped repeatedly by the blanket without leaving any mark whatsoever.

On the other hand, a friend was hit by his own .22LR ricochet, and had a wounded collarbone and a jacket with multiple holes to show for it. After bouncing off his clavicle and downwards, the bullet had passed through the wrinkles of his thin nylon jacket, making a string of a half-dozen holes. Strange.

Curtains, sheets, blankets, pants-legs, jackets, skirts... I regard them all as wild variables when it comes to a bullet's path. It may pass through and it may... whatever.
Old September 5, 2008, 12:19 AM   #57
BillCA

Derringers are interesting, last-ditch back-up guns. They can be kind of fun too, if you like shooting within 15 feet.

The old High-Standard .22 Magnum was potent and it worked very well. I know of one Deputy Sheriff that is alive today because his worked one night on a car stop.

I've fired a .38 Derringer with 125g +P ammo and it hurt. Follow-up shots are not fast. Launching a 200gr .45ACP load from one wouldn't be a lot of giggles either.

I'd thought of finding one in .32 H&R Magnum but figured the ultra-short tube would lose too much performance. If someone offers one in .327 Magnum, that'd be worth considering! Low recoil and enough performance to make it worth while.
Old September 5, 2008, 04:45 AM   #58
imthegrumpyone

Just my 2 cents cause I had one years ago, 38 special by American Arms. One 'Big Bang" for such a small piece.
Old September 5, 2008, 06:49 AM   #59
ringworm

BOND...
45, BOND.
Old September 5, 2008, 05:24 PM   #60
darkgael

Derringers

I have two very cheap derringers one is in .38 Spl., a caliber that I like for the gun. The other is one of those Cobray single barrel .45/410s. I like it more than the .38 but the quality is.....not. However, at 3 to five yards it shoots right where it's pointed. Buckshot groups vertically but in a handspan.
I've been promising myself a Bond Arms in .44 Spl or .45 Colt.
Pete
Old September 7, 2008, 11:47 PM   #61
9ballbilly

Best just to admit it............I own and carry a Davis .22 mag. derringer. This came about because of my employment situation, I simply do not have the opportunity to carry either my .40 or .38. I will say that I've grown fond of the ease of carry with the derringer. Just drop it in a pocket and go. Having carried handguns both professionally and recreationally for over twenty years I concluded that it is a "pain in the butt". The Davis takes alot of that away with it's small size and weight. I would certainly not tout it as the best, or even a good choice for self defense, only that it was my choice and fit my needs. I have seen it quoted several times in this forum, " The first rule of gunfighting is have a gun." I completely agree with this sentiment. My other handguns, while far superior to the derringer, will not do me any good locked in the cabinet at home.
Old September 9, 2008, 11:56 PM   #62
.300H&H

interesting designs...

I've fired a Bond Arms 45/410 - and I kinda like it. I also like driving a a 1959 Studebaker Lark. I keep thinking the derringer could be improved ie. made with better triggers... I'd like to see something like a revamped Mossberg Brownie in .327 mag. ie. flat like a semiauto, reliable and quick like a revolver, and concealable like a derringer. Imagine a stainless 4 shot Brownie in .327mag - or even a Brownie-like 3 shot 45/410.
Old September 11, 2008, 08:08 AM   #63
srt 10 jimbo

Derringers

My High standard 22 mag . It's alot more accurate then my 38 speciaL- EIG
Old September 13, 2008, 11:56 PM   #64
ChewToy

Just for ****s and giggles, check this one out...

http://www.swissminigun.com/gallery_steel.html

Old September 14, 2008, 03:48 AM   #65
Elvishead

After skipping through all the calibers listed here. My vote would be .32 H&R Magnum, hands down.

Powerful with not a lot of recoil.
Old September 28, 2008, 03:25 PM   #66
KevininPa

I bought a Clipdraw for.......

........a Sig p232SL but decided against it. Since I was stuck with the device ( and they do work well, I have one on a Firestorm FS22 ), I thought I would try it out on my Bond Arms Snakeslayer. Only instead of using the tape, my gunsmith is mounting it on the frame via drilling and tapping. I should get it back in a couple weeks. I'll post as to how well it works.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:59 AM   #67
Gbbear47

Safe to Shoot American Derringer .45ACP with missing extractor?

Years ago, I bought an American Derringer M1 .45ACP at a NV gunshow and recently looking at it as a likely candidate for shooting reloads, possibly Pyrodex, due to it's stainless steel construction(for easy cleanup), I discovered the extractor and the screw that holds the extractor in place is missing! Now, I think I fired regular .45ACP ammo in it to test in this condition, but I am not sure and looking at the gap the missing extractor leaves in the side of the barrel makes me wonder if it is safe to fire. While the base of the brass cartridge would obviously block the pressure to some extent, I just wonder if there is a possibility of weakness in that particular area. This is a really nice little gun, not having the legal complications that sometimes come up with the .45 Colt version, so I want to keep it for some sort of close home protection or for casual shooting of Pyrodex, but I would like some reassurance that it is OK to fire without the extractor attached.
Earlier in this forum, someone said they had this model without the extractor, but did not mention firing it. (American Derringer does not seem to respond so far to my query to buy another extractor.)
Old November 10, 2008, 09:49 PM   #68
claymore1500

extractor missing.

The American derringer in .45acp was built with NO extractor, Due to the case design, an extractor will not work.

I have the mod. 1, in .45acp, the spent shells can be a pain to get out at times but it is something you have to live with, shoot it and don't worry.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:59 PM   #69
claymore1500

These are my little children, personally I like the big one the best,
Starting small to big, davis .22lr, excam .38spl and last but not least adc .45acp.

I would like to get the one the OP mentioned, that 7.62x39 would be fun to play with.

Old November 12, 2008, 12:47 AM   #70
Gbbear47

American Derringer concurs-No extractor on .45acpM1

Thanks for the reply to quell my fears about blowing myself up with a defective gun! American Derringer replied to my query that the .45acp model has no ejector due to .45acp being rimless, so now I know the gun is complete & safe to use. They also will send me an instruction book for $5.
I will probably order it just to support a company that makes such a fine derringer. My dream is to own their .45Colt barrel also so I can reload with some sabots that I have using 38sp in a .45 plastic sabot. It appears that the sabots will not fit in the .45acp. Thanks again, yes I have some reading to do in this forum!!!!
PS-Great Pictures!
Old March 21, 2013, 07:44 AM   #71
silverbullet

Derringers

Havent shot one in years. Would like to suggest, however, the optimum load (Just in case any of you firearm manufacturers are reading these posts) is without a doubt the mighty .32 NAA. What a round!!! It is perfected by Hornady for the short barrel pistols. Mine is a 2". It is not what it sounds like. It is a 38 case necked down to .32 cal and available with a 'wad cutter' design.
Moving out of a 2" barrel at near 1000 fps. Recoil is manageable. Mine is a .32 NAA semi auto. Strange as it may sound, it aint my back up piece. I CC it everyday as my primary protection. It will rock your world. No comparison, now here, no time. If you are not familiar with this round, you need to be.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:32 AM   #72
alex0535

Please don't bump 9 year old post back to the top because you want to comment on a long dead discussion.

Edit: this is an old thread that someone bumped 4 years later. Then it fell back into the pages 5 years after that until you brought it back for us again. This thread is a zombie that died twice and came back again.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:59 AM   #73
Mike Irwin
Staff

While reviving old threads sometimes is appropriate, in this case it's really not.

A new thread would have been in order if there was something new or interesting to say.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread