The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 15, 2013, 03:56 PM   #26
Rifleman1952

I'll be shooting less than last year, but I will never, give up shooting completely.
There seems to be plenty of 17 HMR available in my area, so I will be primarily shooting that round.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:09 PM   #27
Michigan Big Iron

Getting Ready

Here in Northern Michigan it's winter with cold and snow. I do a little but only if it's a nice day. I do shoot my air rifles off the back deck of the house all winter. I have plenty of ammo, always have, and I reload. So, the fun begins big time as soon as the weather warms a bit.

Lock and Load!
Old March 15, 2013, 04:49 PM   #28
TheNatureBoy

No. I have enough of everything to last 5+ years so I'm good.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:58 PM   #29
JWT

May cut back a bit but that's about it. As I come across ammo at a reasonable price I pick up whatever I'm allowed and that is enough to keep me shooting, though no always the exact caliber gun I'd like to be using.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:53 PM   #30
4runnerman

I am good to go for the whole summer. I was buying bits and pcs everytime i went to the store for the last 1.1/2 year now. No slowing down for me
Old March 15, 2013, 06:00 PM   #31
manta49

No there is plenty of ammo here. Ironically a lot of it manufactured in America. PS i have read a lot on the forum about panic buying of firearms and ammo what are people panicking about.

Last edited by manta49; March 15, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old March 15, 2013, 06:02 PM   #32
Jimboh247

If things don't start improving as far as availability, I'm going to dust off the Daisy Red Rider!
Old March 15, 2013, 06:42 PM   #33
Mac 1

I am not going to stop my range visits. I will not be shooting as much of course. I do have quite a bit of ammo and this was before the craziness started. What bothers me about all of this is the people who buy the stuff at Wal Mart, Academy, etc. and turn around and gouge people. I was at Academy the other day waiting for the "truck" to come in and met this guy in line with me. When they put the ammo out, there were two 420 round 5.56 Lake City cans for $189.00. We were the first two in line. I bought one and he the other. That day when I got home, I saw this clown on facebook selling his can for $350.00. Man, that smoked me. I know it's hard to do but, we as consumers have got to throttle back so supply increases and prices drop. Anyway, my two cents. I think I may have strayed from the topic for the thread, sorry.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:32 PM   #34
MercyfulFate

Quote:
No there is plenty of ammo here. Ironically a lot of it manufactured in America. PS i have read a lot on the forum about panic buying of firearms and ammo what are people panicking about.
Ever since Newtown every anti gun politician is introducing bills to restrict or ban guns.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 15, 2013, 07:35 PM   #35
Nickel Plated

Quote:
I'm not shooting my reserve ammo
Aren't times like these the whole point of a reserve?

Kind of like telling yourself that "Naah it's not bad enough now to go tap into the reserve stash"

Until eventually you die of old age with those crates of ammo still sitting in your basement waiting for that special day when it's bad enough.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:42 PM   #36
RonR6

I'm still going shooting, went to the range the last two Saturdays and will probably go again tomorrow. I have been reloading alot more and have a good stockpile of powder and bullets. We have also been more clays.
Old March 16, 2013, 04:23 AM   #37
shaunpain

I haven't shot in ages, but not because of the panic. No time!!! My guns are really sad sitting in a cabinet. I miss it like crazy. Soon.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:44 AM   #38
MRYANJ99

I've cut down to about 50 rounds a month on my handguns. But I did find some target loads for my 12 gauge on sale and have plenty of that. Once it warms up a bit, I'm going to try my hand at skeet shooting. This craziness will hopefully pass within the next 6 months or so and the media will forget about the guns and people will quit panic buying. The only place I can find handgun ammo anymore is my local gun shop and they're way overcharging for it. I might try reloading.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:46 AM   #39
jake99

I'm shooting more than I ever have, to support the sport, and the range/club. Mil surplus is cheap and available, but here in NJ the jerks are trying to ban online sales, so I'm also buying more than I ever have..
Old March 16, 2013, 11:03 AM   #40
Crankgrinder

I engaged in the buying of a gun during the 08 panic but at the time i did not have a handgun, only a shotgun and a .22. Nowadays when these panic times hit i just say bah humbug and do other things until it all cools off and supplies become replenishable once more.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:17 AM   #41
bbqbob51

I have enough to last more than a year so I don't really plan on shooting less. One thing I will do is not go out shooting with certain people that never seem to bring along ammunition or at least not enough, you know the type. I usually am generous with folks and share my guns and ammo but not if I can't replace it!
Old March 16, 2013, 12:18 PM   #42
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger
Now, before somebody whines about hording....
I for one actually plan to start hoarding if this ever settles down.

years ago in a similar ammo shortage I found myself extremely low on .380 acp with none to be found anywhere. Likewise, I had to stop shooting my full size auto and ration. So a friend of mine invited me to his range to shoot... at his ammo expense. He assured me he had plenty, we shot all day and at the end he gifted me 3 boxes of factory .380 SD ammo.

now its happening again. I no longer think "hoarding" is an inappropriate word it is whats normal and actually essential in supporting your 2A rights. Lesson finally learned.
Old March 16, 2013, 03:09 PM   #43
MercyfulFate

Hoarding in times of plenty is smart, and I never really had the time to hoard before this happened.

Now with people camping at the stores before they opened, I have no chance.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 16, 2013, 03:45 PM   #44
KMAX

Definitely cutting back and shooting calibers that are most available and have the best supply of. Going shooting tomorrow morning and will shoot a few 9mm and 380, but mostly 38Sp or 45acp or 45Colt. Maybe 7.62x39. Another problem I have is family members wanting to go shooting with me but not bringing any ammo. I hate to say no, but ammo is not free and even worse not abundant.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old March 16, 2013, 05:06 PM   #45
SauerGrapes

Well, somebody is shooting. I've been picking up a lot of pistol brass at the club lately.
I will probably be doing more clay shooting this year than pistol. I have been slowly buying more primers and powder over the last couple months though.
The 22 ammo shortage caught me flat footed.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 18, 2013, 11:01 PM   #46
chris in va

Not really, but I'm concentrating more on my practical shooting skills at our competition range rather than mindlessly plinking at nothing like before. My AR has suffered the most however as I can't cast for it.