The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 15, 2013, 07:39 PM   #1
IMTHDUKE

Bersa Thunder 380?

What is an average price on these...NIB? Who owns one and what have been you experience with the gun? Thanks
Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig 1911 C3, P238, P938, P239, P232 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Walter | PPK(German made 1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P
Old March 15, 2013, 07:58 PM   #2
TX_Pipeliner

I have no idea what the current pricing is.
I have had mine for several years.
Two of my daughters had it for a period of time and they loved it.
I like the pistol as a CC weapon much more than the LCP I have because it just shoots well and has never had any issues. I've probably put 2500 - 3000 rounds through it and have only had maybe 3 FTE, no FTFs.
In general, I like the weapon.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:46 PM   #3
UtahHunting

We paid $259, of course that was a few years back. I believe I seen them at the gun show recently from an "honest" dealer for $299-$319 depending on color.

Great gun, one of my favorites that I will never sell. My wife carries it every day. They do only come with 1 magazine and get prepared to spend a pretty penny on an additional mag. $40-50 or so.

One other thing, we like the gun so much we just bought another one 2 months ago chambered in .22LR and love it just as much.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:53 PM   #4
michael t

http://bersachat.com for all your Bersa needs .

Around 300 should be about right. Some dealers more some less
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old March 15, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

Im pricing then between $289 and $329

Try here for reference or ordering http://www.oeoutfitters.com/scripts/...?idCategory=25

I own the black thunder!
Old March 15, 2013, 09:19 PM   #6
shootniron

Quote:
I seen them at the gun show recently from an "honest" dealer for $299-$319 depending on color.
What is an "honest" dealer?

Would that be a dealer that prices HIS inventory the way YOU think he should?
Old March 15, 2013, 09:22 PM   #7
ttarp

My first handgun was a Bersa .380, I bought it used but like new for $200 a few years ago. It's a pretty accurate gun and reliable, no malfunctions except with the promags, which are ok for range use, but if you plan to carry you'll want to use the factory mags.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:37 PM   #8
UtahHunting

Quote:
What is an "honest" dealer?

Would that be a dealer that prices HIS inventory the way YOU think he should?
There is a large dealer here who has not taken advantage of the current panic pricing and has kept his prices where they were and where they should be. I for one will not buy from a dealer who raised their prices 25-50% due to this panic that is currently going on. If you feel the need to pay $400+ for a Bersa be my guest, as there are several charging that, but as others have pointed out it should be in the $300 range give or take $10.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:45 PM   #9
shootniron

Quote:
There is a large dealer here who has not taken advantage of the current panic pricing and has kept his prices where they were and where they should be. I for one will not buy from a dealer who raised their prices 25-50% due to this panic that is currently going on. If you feel the need to pay $400+ for a Bersa be my guest, as there are several charging that, but as others have pointed out it should be in the $300 range give or take $10.
UtahHunting is online now Report Post
Give it a rest...

IF a dealer wants to charge more for his gun than others...he is not dishonest.

Last edited by Al Norris; March 17, 2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: removed ad-hominem
Old March 15, 2013, 09:49 PM   #10
TxFlyFish

Prices are gonna be between 300-380 in today's market. I was curious about the thunder as well after reading people's reaction to it so I went out and bought one of their latest combat version with the od grips, slide, magazine, beaver tail and dove tail sight updates.

My initial impression is that it's finished roughly, from the trigger to the safety. The gun cycled thru the first 50rds with no problems whatsoever. The tracking characteristics (recoil management and ergonomics) is nothing surprising and pretty average for blowback 380. Accuracy and pointability is good however.

For its price range this is a solid choice, unremarkable nothing really wrong with it, which is a good thing for those of us on a budget
Old March 16, 2013, 12:24 AM   #11
weblance

I have 2 Bersa Thunder pistols... 380 and 22. They are great pistols. They could charge $100 more than I paid, and they would still be a great deal. The 22 is unique in that its one of the few 22 pistols that actually has a steel slide. They are well made, and economical. Many people choose them as a first pistol, and thats with good reason. You will hear some stories about problems, but thats going to happen with any gun manufacturer. I have had no issues, only excellent performance. The 22 has a reputation for being a little ammo picky, Mine has been perfect with MiniMags, and Blazers. The 380 will digest anything except maybe steel cased ammo. The Bersa Thunder Deluxe magazine(Deluxe model is discontinued)is a 9 shot magazine, and works in the 7shot Bersa Thunder. If you can find that Magazine, it makes the Thunder 9+1. There also is a Bersa Thunder Plus, Its a different frame, and is a double stack. 15+1 and looks very similar to the standard Bersa Thunder.

You will always hear some people say the Bersas are crap. I heard many good comments, so I decided to see for myself. I have been very happy with my Bersas. I think they are one of the really great values in the pistol market. The only complaint I have is cosmetic. The finish on my black 380 is a little blotchy, not bad, not perfect. It certainly doesnt effect the function one bit. My nickel 22 is beautiful. I wish I would have bought my 380 in nickel.

Old March 16, 2013, 08:56 AM   #12
redhologram

My sister has carried hers for years and has put many rounds through it and is very happy with it. I've shot it a few times and can't say anything bad about it either.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:30 AM   #13
Laz

Raising one's prices too high runs the risks that a) people will buy from another seller who has not done so; b) people will not buy at all because they see no value in spending that much for the product; and c) people will begin to cease shopping you because you have developed a reputation, and not a good one.

Free enterprise is free both ways.

Use It Up, Wear It Out,
Make It Do, Or Do Without
Old March 16, 2013, 02:17 PM   #14
k511

paid 300 for ours,,,wife usually shoots it, but i like it myself too...lots of rounds through it now, zero problems...solid firearm for that price range IMO
Old March 16, 2013, 02:29 PM   #15
blatz100

Beras thunder 380 cc grips

I have a Bersa cc thunder 380 with custom grips you no the ones with the finger grooves... what other cal. bersa thunder cc will these grips fit THANKS.. Dan

Last edited by blatz100; March 16, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old March 16, 2013, 04:15 PM   #16
bonefamily

The wife just paid $310 for her blued Thunder 380 about a month ago.

Charging a bit more is different than price raping - some gun shops have different overhead that they need to account for, which I expect to have slight price variances from seller to seller. But for those that are jacking them prices out the roof I don't agree with. No, it is not dishonest as we all know what the msrp's are from the mfg's web sites and it is our choice if we want to pay the inflated prices or not. But, for the dealers that are taking advantage of customers because of the current situation to benefit their pockets... well, IMO is just wrong. To each their own I guess.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:56 PM   #17
dsk

I bought a nickeled Thunder .380 a couple of years ago simply out of weakness. It looked and felt nice, and I thought a nice DA .380 might be a good gun to have around especially as something my wife or mother could handle. The only QC complaint I had with it was the fact that the nickel peeled off the hammer, other than that it was reliable and reasonably accurate. What I definitely didn't like however was the feel of the recoil. Being a blowback semi-auto the slide slammed back with such force that the backstrap of the pistol actually pummeled the heel of my hand with each shot, and after less than a box of ammo I was actually hurting. I eventually had to give up and sell the pistol because it was too painful to shoot. I just found it odd that a .380 would be something I couldn't handle when I shoot .45ACP 1911s all the time without a problem. But then I remembered that my old Colt M1908 Pocket Hammerless wasn't much fun to shoot either. It didn't hurt as much but the sensation of the sharp recoil was definitely noticeable.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:21 AM   #18
STW

I bought my wife a Bersa Firestorm .380 a couple of years ago and it's her favorite carry gun. It's made by Bersa for Firestorm and, at the time, differed only in the grips and sights from the Thunder. I notice that Bersa changed the grips and sights on the Thunder last year so the difference may not be there anymore. Just another option if you want to be a touch unique.