The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Stratoblaster

CCI unplated O.E.M. primers?

Hi all,
I recently purchased some small CCI 500 pistol primers online. What I received today was a box of CCI 500 OEM unplated primers "not for resale" in black and white generic packaging. The vendor stock number on the primers is 0092, normally the CCI 500 primers are 00014.

These "unplated" primers aren't even listed on the CCI site. What exactly do I have here? Can I even use these?
Old March 15, 2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Jimro

Yes, do a normal load workup.

Jimro
Old March 15, 2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Sevens

They are sold as component primers for FFL06 ammunition manufacturers. In a loaded cartridge, they are absolutely the same as a normal CCI 500 non-magnum small pistol primer. However when using them in your equipment, you may find that their lack of nickel plating may inhibit their easy-sliding and moving in some primer feeding systems.

I could only assume that CCI/ATK saves a few pennies on these primers by skipping the nickel plating process and maybe even another half-penny by packaging them in a generic fashion.

Given the way the packaging is marked, I'm not sure if CCI/ATK would get all upset if they found out that someone was selling them in component form. Obviously, that is 180 degrees from CCI's intention for them.

As Jimro said, you can use them just as you would a normal CCI-500 primer.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Stratoblaster

Thanks guys, I had never seen these before, now I know I can use them regardless of their origin.
Craig