The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 13, 2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Roshi

Bore Butter vs. Froglube

I've always used Bore Butter for a lube on my C&B revolvers with good results. I recently cleaned and lubed my 51 Navy and 60 Army with Froglube. I tried them out today and IMHO Froglube is not a very good arbor lube. It was tough getting the barrel off of both revolvers and the cylinders had to be coaxed off by prying between the recoil shield and the cylinder with a screw driver.

This was after 60 rounds of 25 gr Pyrodex P through the 51 and 24 rounds of 30 gr Pyrodex P through the 60.

I'm going back to Bore Butter.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:59 AM   #2
FrontierGander

both are garbage in my eye. Just wax with some scent to it.
Old March 14, 2013, 03:08 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

FG + 1....

....With regard to Bore Butter. Don't know about Froglube.

I have a lube recipe which I have used for a long time but I am in the process of verifying that it is truly performing the way a lube should. It could be that I like it because it is cheap.

It is similar to other recipes you will read on this thread in the hours or days to come.

Just stand by a bit and you will have more lube recipes than you can shake a stick at.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:54 AM   #4
patriotic

Frog Lube, I like it

When I bought my AR-15 I treated the BCG, barrel and bore with Frog Lube and have had no problems. Carbon residue just wipes off even from the bolt. No need to scrape. Also treated my CMMG .22 conversion with Frog Lube and that cleans up with just a wipe. It is a lot like PTFE Teflon lube that soaks into the metal but lasts longer. Never tried Bore Butter so I cannot compare it.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Roshi

Froglube on Modern Guns

I have no issues with Froglube on modern guns although I prefer TW25B.

I wanted to note that Froglube didn't work well specifically as an arbor lube on my cap and ball revolvers.

While I appreciate all the home lube recipes, I don't have the time to mix my own and have been using Bore Butter for more than 20 years.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:39 AM   #6
woodnbow

I'm with Roshi

I try not to overthink this stuff... I've used lots and lots of Bore Butter. It's always worked for me. I use CLP on modern guns and the actions of any revolver and had no problems there either..
Old March 14, 2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Noz

Several years back I attended a shoot in which a vendor was pushing a "new" lube to be used on all guns. I tried it and discovered I could get about 8 rounds through my 1860 Armys before they began to bind badly. I took some serious effort to get back to free operation again.

Point of the story? I went back to my organic lubes and have not looked back. I'll use Bore Butter or one of my homemade bullet lubes on the arbor for trouble free operation.

I stay away from the "miracle" materials.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:35 AM   #8
blfuller

So is this frog lube petroleum based or is it something you could butter your biscuits with if you so desired?

It is my understanding that the petroleum based stuff doesn't mix well with black powder fouling and tends to gum up the works.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:19 AM   #9
ScottRiqui

Frog Lube is non-petroleum, and the ingredients are all food-grade. I've been happy with it, but I also have never used it on black powder guns
Old March 14, 2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Pahoo

Everthing in it's time and place !!

Quote:
I went back to my organic lubes and have not looked back.
For the most part, Bore Butter is basically just that; Butter. I suspect that Frog lube is pretty much the same. These organics as well as other lubes, have their place and prefered use. I do use it in my M/L bores while shooting becsause it doesn't add to the fouling in it's burn. It does keep the fouling loose. I never use petroleum based products, in my bores while shooting as the burn does add to the fouling. I don't use organics to lube any moving parts or to protect surfaces. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 14, 2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Willie Sutton

"When I bought my AR-15 I treated the BCG, barrel and bore with Frog Lube and have had no problems. Carbon residue just wipes off even from the bolt. No need to scrape. Also treated my CMMG .22 conversion with Frog Lube and that cleans up with just a wipe. It is a lot like PTFE Teflon lube that soaks into the metal but lasts longer. Never tried Bore Butter so I cannot compare it"

Which has exactly what to do with black powder fouling?

There's a semi-auto rifle forum up about ten inches on your screen...

Willie

Old March 14, 2013, 11:57 AM   #12
colbad

I have never used Frog Lube on BP but have been very pleased with its performance on my center fire FAs. The recommended application is to heat up the metal surface and them apply for the initial application. Dont need to do that on subsequent applications.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Rebel Dave

I don't think Frog Lube is meant for black powder. I never mix my lubes between black, and modern,it makes for a big mess both ways.

Rebel Dave
Old March 14, 2013, 06:30 PM   #14
Fingers McGee

Never heard of froglube. Borebutter has always worked for me.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 14, 2013, 08:21 PM   #15
shortwave

Heard of Froglube but not for BP and have never used it.

I'll stick with my bore butter. It works.

Last edited by shortwave; March 14, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:18 PM   #16
B.L.E.

Bore Butter would be perfect if it just had a higher melting point. The stuff just completey turns to liquid on a hot Texas summer day and is really messy to use. I have thought about melting some beeswax into it to make it less runny when the mercury hits the triple digits here.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:26 PM   #17
TMD

Froglube is the newest Kool-Aid flavor.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:01 PM   #18
Hellgate

I've always just used automotive bearing grease or Lubriplate on my arbors and no problems. Works when freezing or like an oven. I even use it as an over ball lube too. I also use under ball wads lubed with tallow or lard mixed with beeswax. They'll shoot all day (the Colts will).
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 15, 2013, 05:18 PM   #19
North East Redneck

Never heard of the frog lube, bore butter and also beeswax mixed with crisco works for me.
Lucas gun oil on the modern type guns. Rem oil too.
Also, Lucas is nice to use on the air powered guns as well.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:32 PM   #20
kwhi43

I use a secret lube, which I buy from a secret place in Indiana. It has beeswax
In it made by bees that are bred just for this purpose. Really. It doesen't melt.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:01 PM   #21
Pahoo

Gosh !!!

Quote:
made by bees that are bred just for this purpose.
Good to know as I have about 30lbs. of beeswax that states that it came from African bees. Ya got to know that's pretty mean stuff; I guess ??

Be Safe !!!
Old March 15, 2013, 07:10 PM   #22
kwhi43

No, No, That won't work. Any beeswax made by bees south of the equator puts
A reverse spin on the ball. That coupled with the right hand twist in the revolver
Doesn't work out well. You get too many flyers. The only way it could work is
To wipe in over the balls in a right to left circular motion to counter act this.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:29 PM   #23
shortwave

Quote:
The only way it could work is
To wipe in over the balls in a right to left circular motion to counter act this.
kwhi43...

WOW ..... would have never thunk of that....your a genius.