The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 8, 2013, 10:08 AM   #1
cheetah4570

Retiring federal agents and service weapons

Does anyone know of any Federal agencies that allow retiring special agents to retire with their service weapons?
Old March 8, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Nanuk

Not that I know of. When we switched to Semi auto's they would not even let us buy our 686's. At the time it was DOJ and the Border Patrol and things have gotten worse since then. The excuse was that they did not want more guns on the street.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3
cheetah4570

thanks

I'm a State agent, and was able to buy my S&W Model 19 when we switched to Sigs, but I came in just under the wire.
Old March 8, 2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Eagleks

Here locally, if you are leaving due to retiring, you take it with you. It's yours , free and clear.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:58 PM   #5
lamarw

To the best of my knowledge in the Federal Government, the firearm belongs to the tax payers. You are not allowed to take your firearm home with you if you should retire from any of the military services. The only exception I know of is General Officers, and they have to buy it (General officers have an option to purchase their holster and pistol at retirement at a price well below market value. As per: Senior Leaders Handbook for General Officers)

It sounds as if various state and local governments have their own rules.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:12 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

If you bought it, the it is yours. If WE bought it, then it is OURS...
Old March 9, 2013, 01:00 AM   #7
Archie

Not to my knowledge...

I retired from Customs and Border Protection in 2010. I had to turn my issue pistol in to the firearms staff. No option to purchase, either.

I don't have figures in my head, but I understand the number of sidearms, shotguns, cell phones and laptop computers from Federal agencies is truly embarrassing. I suppose that's off topic.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old March 10, 2013, 08:11 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

NCIS aka NIS...

Many years ago I read a gun magazine item about a NIS(now the NCIS) model 66 .357magnum revolver meant for NIS special agents who retire.
The NCIS(name change after the big Tailhook scandal in the 1990s) now uses the SIG P229R .40 DAK.

The US Customs Service(USCS) now the CBP/US Dept of Homeland Security used engraved S&W model 686 revolvers for retired inspectors & agents.

The FLEOA may have more detailed answers; www.fleoa.org .

CF
Old March 10, 2013, 08:28 AM   #9
kraigwy

I'm retired Civ. LE, my son is a fed (DHS). He was fondling my M-28 service revolver which my department let me keep when I retired, saying the Feds would never let him keep his when he retires.

If that's policy with all Fed Agencies I don't know, but that's the idea I got.

I got a letter from the dept. saying my service revolver was no longer needed by the dept. Now its retired to shooting bowling pins, (a Model 28 w/357 LSWCs it hell on bowling pins).
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; March 10, 2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:54 PM   #10
lamarw

CF, That is interesting. I wonder if it is possible these were not the handguns they used as their duty weapon but rather new handguns presented as a retirement gift. Meaning they were purchased with nominal donations by fellow officers combined together for a farewell retirement luncheon gift. At least the fact they were specially engraved leads one to thing this.

The above is just a guess on my part since I do not know. I know things change over time, but I am not aware of Federal Government Property ever being gifted to a retiring employee. Even U.S. Flags flown over the Capitol are paid for out of private funds when gifted.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:08 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

A while back, that was a big issue for the antis. They claimed that retired police and federal LEOs could not be trusted, were a primary source of guns for crime, and you know the whole song and dance.

Did you know there was also a demand to disarm all police and federal agents? The idea originated in England (where else?) and was that crooks only carried guns because they were afraid of armed police so if the police were disarmed, the crooks would get rid of their guns.

Of course, the theory went, there would be some guns available for use only by federal agents under the direct control of the president, and the president would personally have to authorize issuing them.

Doesn't that sound good and give you a real warm fuzzy feeling?

Jim
Old March 10, 2013, 07:45 PM   #12
lockedcj7

A friend of mine is a DLEO with the SCDNR. They traded in their Glock 22s a few years ago and were issued new ones. They were offered the option to purchase the trade-ins for $450. Neither of us thought that was much of a deal so he passed on it.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:33 PM   #13
orionengnr

Quote:
When we switched to Semi auto's they would not even let us buy our 686's....The excuse was that they did not want more guns on the street.
Just so we are clear... It is okay for that gun to be "on the street" for 15, 20 or 25 years while it is on your hip every day as an LEO.

But one day you retire, and now you and that weapon are suddenly transformed into a hazard to the general public?

Where do we find the Titanic minds that come to these conclusions?

Edited to add:
How can they sell those well-worn Crown Vics and Kawasaki cop bikes I see all over? Don't those vehicles go on killing sprees every week?

Hmmm...a new theory just struck me. It is not cream that rises to the top, but excrement.

Last edited by orionengnr; March 10, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:08 PM   #14
ClydeFrog

US Army general officers...

It's a bit off topic but US Army generals; 1-4 stars can get their issue M9 9x19mm sidearms when they leave active duty.
I read a detailed PAO(US Army public affairs office) article about the process.

General officers get a cool leather M9 holster and a few other items. They must pay for it too. I think it's around $490.00 USD.
The FLETC, www.fletc.gov public affairs or media office may give details too.

ClydeFrog
Old March 12, 2013, 01:47 PM   #15
royal barnes

I was able to purchase all my carry guns as we transitioned to new models for whatever the dealer was going to pay for trade value. My last service pistol was given to me at retirement for the price of a $5.00 pistol permit.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Nanuk

Quote:
Just so we are clear... It is okay for that gun to be "on the street" for 15, 20 or 25 years while it is on your hip every day as an LEO.

But one day you retire, and now you and that weapon are suddenly transformed into a hazard to the general public?

Where do we find the Titanic minds that come to these conclusions?
Janet Reno
Old March 13, 2013, 12:05 PM   #17
lamarw

I am enjoying and learning from this thread. Since the Subject Title was Federal Law Enforcement, it would be nice for the responders with actual experiece to identify their level of service; e.g.; Federal, State, Local. Some have and some have not.

I am not sure whether anyone with Federal ties has stated they were able to keep their firearm.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:09 PM   #18
Polinese

I'm federal (though no where near retiring) and have been told by everyone so far, that they weren't allowed to buy any of the other weapons my agency has been issued, and that we won't be allowed to buy our current weapons either come retirement.
Old March 14, 2013, 02:29 PM   #19
royal barnes

Sorry, meant to add that. I was local with 27 years.Been retired for 13.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:14 PM   #20
Nanuk

Quote:
Since the Subject Title was Federal Law Enforcement, it would be nice for the responders with actual experiece to identify their level of service; e.g.; Federal, State, Local.
3 years US Army Military Police
6 Years Local Police
23 Years Federal - retired
Old March 15, 2013, 09:15 AM   #21
sandbag

Retiree Firearms

When I retired I was carrying a Ruger Speed Six.I was with the INS(this was in the late 90's) and there was no option to buy-too bad-that was a nice revolver and I haven't run across one since.I did get a Ruger GP100 a few years ago with a 3" barrel so it is a little larger but a real solid wheelgun and accurate.Too bad I couldn't have bought my issued Remington 870 with a 14" barrel