The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 05:37 PM   #1
larryf1952

Quality time with the Redhawk...

I hadn't shot a .44 in a very long time, so I decided to pull the Ruger Redhawk from its slumber and make the trek to the local indoor range. I took 100 rounds of .44 handloads with me (200 grain JHP's and 17.5 grains of #7). This target is 20 rounds at 20 yards.

I had a great time! I'm always a bit skittish about shooting the boomers on an indoor range, because I don't want to rattle a new shooter who might be in the next stall. But, I really do like the .44's, and it was long past time. The Redhawk is a sweet, sweet dish.

I rounded out the afternoon with a Kahr CW9 and a T series Browning HP. They felt like pipsqueaks after 100 rounds of .44 Mag. I didn't think about anything else while I was there...just me and the handguns, sending lead downrange. I was reminded of why I'm involved in all this crazy stuff...

Old March 14, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2
GP100man

Yep !!!

I need to do the same thing , sometimes we just gotta !!!
Old March 14, 2013, 10:42 PM   #3
psyfly

Good shooting! This is ten rounds at about half the distance you used. I'll have to work my way out a little farther:

Love my Redhawk. Thanks for starting the thread.

Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redhawk and Target Netsize.jpg (104.9 KB, 512 views)
Old March 14, 2013, 11:00 PM   #4
larryf1952

Psyfly, very interesting Redhawk that you have...I had never seen one with that barrel length. Looks very good, and you did extremely well for such a short barreled gun. I'll bet that that thing is a beast to hold on to.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:01 AM   #5
psyfly

That's a 3 1/2 inch barrel. Was sold to me with backstory that it is a John Gallagher custom and I'm quite pleased with it. I was surprised at the level of accuracy I was able to accomplish. And, no, it's not particularly beastly to shoot. Loud, though!

I can never make up my mind whether it's more fun to shoot .44 or .22:

Under the Redhawk you can see a scatter-shot pattern around an inked-in aimpoint. That's a vain attempt on my part to shoot something consistent out of my new Browning 1911-22. So far, it doesn't appear to be shaping up as a preferred target pistol. It sure is cute, though; I don't have a pic but it's the "compact" version.

Best,

Will