The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 14, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
dbldune

Steel case ammo and Stag model *

Went shoot yesterday and for the second time a tulammo .223 jammed \ failed to eject. The first time I was able to clear the bolt, the second time it went to a gunsmith and cost 47$.

Have 14 rounds left over and willing to donate to anyone who wants it. As far as I'm concerned it is JUNK>
Old March 15, 2013, 05:01 AM   #2
pilot141

Yeah, donate is right.

No thanks.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:26 AM   #3
shrewd

Mine has FTE'd twice or so with Tula, though never with brown bear or wolf.

The first time was the first few rounds I shot through it, the extractor ripped the rim clear off. The second time the same thing happened but the case was stuck inside the chamber due to excessive heat (high round count carbine course).

I can't imagine paying a smith to fix it, I just waited a few seconds the. Used a cleaning rod to punch the casing back into the receiver. Then back to shooting!
Old March 16, 2013, 01:21 PM   #4
DubC-Hicks

I've shot quite a bit of Tula thru my 20" PSA, and have never had a problem. I really like the stuff.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Skans

I read the report posted by pilot and found it very comprehensive and objective. My take-away on it is: The steel cased ammo usually works ok in most AR's, but occasionally a case will get stuck. And, when it gets stuck, it can sometimes be extremely difficult to get unstuck.

Also, the bi-metal projectiles will erode the barrel faster than lead when you let the barrel get hot. However, the brass-cased, soft lead projectiles will cause more severe gas-port erosion, due to the better bullet and case seal. So, either don't rapid fire, or pick your poison. Accuracy is better with brass-cased lead ammo, but I already knew that.