The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 01:22 AM   #1
jbrown27

S&W MP 22 Impressed

Well I gave my dad my Ruger SR40 for his first handgun and he was going to buy me a 22 pistol for practice. I went to gun store wanting a smith mp 22 but after calling all stores in area I knew that none had one in stock I was open to several others. when I walked into academy the first gun I saw was a smith and wesson mp 22. I held it and it just felt great. A full sized 22 and I said I'll take it. So I got home after dark and I had to shoot it. I grabbed my tactical light off my Sig 2022 and it fit perfectly on the smith and went out back to put some rounds through it. Before I knew it I put over 200 rounds throught it in the dark and I was just happy with what I saw. No failures of any kind and this pistol is very accurate. Can't wait till friday to put as many rounds thru it as possibe. So far I am very impressed with the design and quality of this pistol. Only downside is the large saftey that interferes with the slide release but I will be removing it when I get a chance. Other than that is is a awesome gun and I highly recommend it thus far.

'
Tri Star T-120 Taurus TCP 738
Old March 12, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Mr_Jumper

Great purchase! I've owned the same for about 5 months now and enjoy shooting it every time. Very accurate and feels great in hand, great for training as it's close to full sized. Broke it in with CCI mini mags for first 200 rds, and it has so far shot everything I had given it (1600+ and counting).

Only complaint I have is that it only have 1 mag and it's quite hard to locate spares. I shoot the thing way too fast and 1 mag just is not enough, although it's good thing .22 loads very easily.
Old March 12, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Only downside is the large saftey that interferes with the slide release but I will be removing it when I get a chance.
Don't do that.

I agree that the safety is dumb, and I don't have them on my full size M&Ps...

But you must understand that the M&P 22 only bears a resemblance to the real M&P in looks alone. It functions completely different. It has a cocked hammer with a single action trigger. To remove the safety would be akin to having a 1911 with no safety(even worse, with no way to decock the gun).

I know it's "only a .22" but do yourself a favor and don't remove that safety. If any accident ever occurred, it would open you up to some serious liability.

Aside from that, +1 on the M&P 22. It's a great little gun. I have that one and my buddy has the Ruger SR22 which is also pretty great. The SR22 is a little small though, and I like that the M&P is the same size as it's full size, centerfire brethren.
Old March 14, 2013, 02:34 PM   #4
J_Grimm

Re: S&W MP 22 Impressed

The 22 has the same friggin safety system as the full sized... I wish people would quit with the fudlore...
Old March 14, 2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

Quote:
The 22 has the same friggin safety system as the full size
It has the same safety lever design... the way it works is not at all the same. The standard M&P is double action striker fired(similar to Glock) - the 22 is a single action hammer without the ability to decock... the only resemblance they have are purely aesthetic.

There's a reason why the striker fired models are available without a safety and why the 22 is not...
Old March 14, 2013, 03:14 PM   #6
southjk

I bought one in December and have about 1300 rounds through it so far. Great shooting gun, love it.