The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 8, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1
ZOOM2X

Anti-gun wife signed up for cc course!!

Well, I never...! My wife signed up today for a CC course at our local senior citizens center. I'm going to buy her a 9MM Shield if I can find one in town.

NRA Benefactor
Old March 8, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2
blackamos

Most anti-gun people I have met are just people that have never had a good range day. Hope she enjoys the course and enjoys the new 9mm.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:16 PM   #3
kutz

Never,ever say never. Your gonna like shootin with you wife,I do with mine.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4
AH.74

That's good news.

Has she offered any explanation on her interest in doing so?
Old March 9, 2013, 12:25 AM   #5
arizona98tj

Just a suggestion....why not let her pick out HER gun. A few bucks spent at the rental counter of the local range can help her figure out which one is just right for her. Personally, I would never want my wife to pick out a handgun for me. Just sayin'.....
Old March 9, 2013, 12:31 AM   #6
Hawg

What Arizona said. Its going to be her gun let her get what she wants. She will appreciate it(and you)a lot more.
Old March 9, 2013, 03:00 AM   #7
justplainpossum

Oh, yes, I agree, let her pick out her own gun! It was fun for me. I was at the range, and I was trying everything. Okay, this one is a no. This one is a maybe. This one is in the lead, but this one is a close second. Kind of like going to the fabric store and pulling out all the different bolts, lining them up, putting back the ones you don't like... till you find the one!
Old March 9, 2013, 11:57 AM   #8
firme67

That is neat! I would not call my wife anti-gun, but she has never been around them before me. After being married for 6 years, she just asked me the other day if I would teach her to shoot. Which I think is really cool and got me super excited.

Question: Since she has never fired a gun before would it be better to start her out by learning on a .22lr rifle, or a .22lr pistol (both)? The choices for guns that I have to start her out are ( I am assuming .22lr is the best place to start):

Savage Rascal .22lr with open sights
Savage 64 .22lr with open sights
Ruger 12/22 .22lr with scope

Rough Rider .22lr Single Action Revolver
Ruger SR22 .22lr Semi Auto Pistol

I was leaning toward Starting with the Rascal and Rough Rider then moving to semi-auto after she got a little more comfortable with firearms. She is small statured (5'2", 115 lbs) Thanks.

Sorry to steal your thread ZOOM
Old March 9, 2013, 04:52 PM   #9
JAREDSHS

i just love it when this happens.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:30 PM   #10
Ralph Allen

Ditto on all the above replies saying you should let your wife pick her carry gun. Years ago I bought a S&W J frame for my wife as a Christmas present. All though, to this day, she carries this gun daily, you should have seen her face when she unwrapped that gun! Not your normal happy face saying I was so thoughtful in getting her just what she wanted! Let her pick what she wants and can operate. My wife's arthritus is so bad, she can't run the slide on compact SA's. It has to be either a 22 or a full size which she can't conceal. Good job on letting her wait until she was ready.
Ralph
Old March 9, 2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Onward Allusion

Quote:
ZOOM2X
Anti-gun wife signed up for cc course!!
Congratulations! I guess you now have a gun-toting wife!

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old March 9, 2013, 10:03 PM   #12
ZOOM2X

No problem, firme67. I'm glad your wife is getting on the band wagon, too. Nice to see that several guys have their wives shooting. Good sport to share.

I am not really sure why my wife is trying it. The emails about the CCW course at the senior center came at the right time. There has been a lot of publicity on guns lately and she finally just decided to give it a try.

I've several pistols from which she can choose to take to the course, but, of course, will let her choose whatever and as many as she wants. I'm not sure if the instructor will let her bring several to try. We'll see.

I think the Shield is just a great pistol and almost bought one at Mahoney's last S&W sale but didn't have time to wait in line to get one. Need one now.

Now my wife of 46+ years is about to start a new hobby the whole family can enjoy. I've talked to NRA and my grandsons (ages 4 & 5, NRA Life Members since birth) are still a little young for the NRA range in Alexandria, not far from their home. I look forward to shooting with them soon and at the NRA range in a few years.

I think the whole country is getting into guns. We need to promote it all we can or we'll wake up one day with serious 2nd Amendment problems.

NRA Benefactor
Old March 9, 2013, 11:54 PM   #13
Wreck-n-Crew

Awesome!

We need more sheep dogs to protect the sheep from the wolves instead of the so-called trained wolves of Washington protecting the sheep from the untrained wolves!
Old March 10, 2013, 02:11 AM   #14
Lost Sheep

Introduce her to this web site

http://www.corneredcat.com/

Written by Kathy Jackson, a moderator on this forum. It is valuable to men as well as it is to women, but has some points of particular interest to women.

Lost Sheep

p.s. Having successfully avoided the institution of marriage for 64 years, I am now qualified to offer advice on the subject to anyone. Here goes: When you and your wife go to a gun store to shop for guns, your main (perhaps only) job is to run interference against those counter-monkeys who want to steer her to guns "perfect for the ladies" because they have pink handles. Women shopping for guns get talked down to a LOT.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; March 10, 2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:43 AM   #15
redhologram

^^^ What Lost Sheep said on http://www.corneredcat.com
I highly recommended ordering the book as well, it has alot more in-depth information. And Kathy's annotated footnotes are also filled with valuable resources if you take the time to delve further into them and do the reading and research. She is always on target and my first go to when I'm looking for an answer to something. I can usually find she has it covered.

Definitely have your wife pick out her gun. She may obviously seek your guidance, but the one thing she will instinctively know, is how it fits her hand compared to others and how it feels when she shoots it compared to others.

And yes, Lost Sheep makes another valid point that does sometimes, unfortunately happen that I experience from time to time as a female if going into an unfamiliar shop. It seems in some shops, if you walk in and your rack is on your chest and not in your truck, you obviously aren't to be taken seriously (especially if alone) and you will get looked over while they conduct business with the men-folk.
At that point, I typically walk out, get in my 4wd, and go to the LGS's that know me, know if I'm in there I'm there for a reason and they are always friendly and helpful.
I really shouldn't have to have a man with me to validate my knowledge and proficiency with a weapon.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:22 PM   #16
1hogfan83

I took my mother shooting at a gun range and as we waited for the range to open, the gun rental guy started talking to us and my mother said she said she wanted a carry pistol. The first thing, and the only thing, he wanted to show her was a Taurus Judge. I'm glad I was there to say,"Thanks, can we see anything else."
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old March 11, 2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Misssissippi Dave

Always let a woman pick out her carry gun. You can stand by and give your opinion on the good and bad points of guns you know about and run interference when the BS starts up.

My wife started with a .22 revolver and prefers .22 pistols in general. She also can handle a 9 mm well enough too. I would not want to be on the receiving end since you can hold a pretty good group. The only downside is she doesn't care for the smell of the stuff to clean them with. I get to do all the cleaning and lubrication.

The more any new shooter gets to experience different pistols to shoot the more they know what they like and don't like. I suggest, if possible, to let any new shooter start with a .22 and work up from there if that is what they want to do. It is easier to learn the basics when you are not dealing with lots of recoil too.

Very short barrel light weight pistols might be easy to carry but they are also difficult to shoot. You really want something you can practice with when you start out. I find those small purse guns to be rather unpleasant as a range gun. I think it is best for a new shooter to enjoy shooting from the beginning. They tend to stay with it when they do.
Old March 12, 2013, 03:03 PM   #18
DarthNul

Must disagree with most... Get her a gun first (one that you like), then let her pick her own. That way she'll have an "extra gun" that you can borrow any time!
Old March 13, 2013, 08:45 PM   #19
ZOOM2X

SHE PASSED

I got out a .22 Browning Buck Mark and a NIB .380 S&W Bodyguard with laser sight and suggested she take them both but she choose to take the 22 only. She passed the course and got her certificate to get her permit. Her target had every bullet hole in the 10 and 9 rings except for one in the 8 ring. She brought it home to show me. How neat is that! I'll encourage her to try every caliber until she finds what she wants to be her gun. I'm proud of her. Hopefully this will grow into some fun times together.

Just before the class started she called me to ask if I knew that carry permits expired. I said I did, had renewed mine and it was current. She said Norman,one of my good friends and shooting buddy, was sitting next to her because he didn't and had to take the course again.

NRA Benefactor
Old March 13, 2013, 10:10 PM   #20
redhologram

This is great news! Congrats to her!!!