The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
rmocarsky

Phoenix HP22

Gunners,

When reading the users manual for unloading a Phoenix HP22 it states that when you rack the slide back the round in the chamber "should" eject.

Not that it WILL.

Leads to confusion that failing to eject the round in the chamber by manually racking the slide doesn't mean that the firearm will have FTE problems.

They do not have an e-mail address to inquire as to why the use of word "should".

BTW mine does not do what it "should" do when unloading.

It may be some time before I have a chance to test-fire the pistol.

Have any Phoenix owners had this problem while manually unloading theirs yet they still fire without issue?

I have never (until now) tried to manually unload my Phoenix; I always fired it empty, and I have had it for over 20 years.

Rmocarsky
Old March 12, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2
blackamos

It should eject, it will not always eject. Does it not eject every time? Has it always ejected when firing? I don't own a Phoenix handgun but some .22's are finicky.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

Ive owned a few i traded on and i don't trust them at all.
From my experience the Phoenix has a sub par ejection system.
Considering that it is a 20 year old gun, you probably have worn the ejector pin down and when these round off a little it's jam city.
Biggest problem lies in the design as with most low cost weapons and could be a concern when firing.
However they usually eject poorly on a hand cycle and maybe some test firing might be in order. Just use the recommended ammo or else!
Finally, I would never trust my life to this weapon and would only use it if there absolutely was nothing else!