The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
mark clausen

Dad's new SR1911

My 84 yr old father just bought a brand new SR1911. He said he always wanted to own a 1911, as he trained on one in the service, and well, now he has one. I have never owned one but have shot them from time to time. We are wondering about rounds to feed this given our lack of experience. I'm not new to guns by any means but just have not been around 1911s alot. I'm hoping this will get him out to the club more so am looking for something relatively, as far as .45 ACP goes, comfortable to shoot. I reload for 22-250 and probably would end up buying dies for pistols also. Thanks Mark
Old March 12, 2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Rabbitt

Congratulations to your Dad. I am sure he will enjoy it based on all that I have read. Still looking for them here in Nebraska. Not many show up and they disappear as soon as they do.
Para; Browning; Colt; Henry; Rossi; Kimber; Magnum Research; Rock Island; Ruger; S&W; Sig; Taurus; Chiappa; Remington; Remington Shotgun; Hi Point Carbine; Bushmaster; ISSC; Beretta; Marlin. .22; .380; 9mm; .38; .357; .45; 12 gauge; .223/5.56.
Variety is the spice of life.
Old March 12, 2013, 03:54 PM   #3
BarryLee

I like the Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ for target use. They usually feed well and the kick is not too bad.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 12, 2013, 04:26 PM   #4
geetarman

Your Dad will probably add 10 years to his life. At least I hope so.

He will have a GOOD time with that gun. Did you get the full size or the CMD size?

Carpe Cerveza
Old March 12, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5
mark clausen

Well his dad lived to be 98, and my dads sister is 97 now so I think we have time to put some rounds through this thing. He got the full size with a seven and eight round mags. I'm trying to get him to join my club, because I am really not supposed to be bringing him out there all the time if he isn't a member, and you have to compete to become a member. We have a squirrel rifle type bench rest event that if he did twice a year he could join at senior rate of $30. But he is always balking. Hopefully this will motivate him. We'll see.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Pud

Got my SR1911 CMD version in early Jan. First couple of boxes through it were 230 gr. Blazer brass.
No problems..then some "no name" 230 gn. ball I had in a bag of 50.
Now shooting 230 gr. hollow points (Fiocchi). And the gun shoots great! Accurate as can be, no hiccups on any ammo- everything fires fine, no issues at all.
Mine is a definite keeper!!
Ruger P97 / Ruger SR1911 CMD / Ruger SR9c / S&M M&P 15 Sport/Ruger Mk 3 22/45.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:18 PM   #7
tekarra

Well done for your dad, now take him out shooting often and keep his pistol loaded.