The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 10, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
PVL

Conetrol Scope Mouts

I sent off for Conetrol "Custum" mounts and projectionless rings for my BLR '81 in .308 Winchester, to mount a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 compact scope down as low as possible.

The Conetrol rings and mounts put the scope noticeably lower than Leupold's low rings did for me.

It's hard to get a scope to look right on any lever gun, and the BLR is no exception.

If you phone in your order at Conetrol, it gets shipped the same day. These came in today, and I got them installed and the scope adjusted with a laser sighter-inner, but by then it was too late in the day to go try it out. That will have to wait until tomorrow some time.

Here are some pictures.

Now if I shoulder the rifle with my eyes closed and then open them up, my eye is properly aligned with the scope and I'm ready to shoot. The BLR cycles well from the shoulder, so it ought to make a fine pig popper, where one might encounter multiple targets on the run.

I have tried the Conetrol mounts and rings before and had good luck with them. Now, other than doing some trigger work, I am all done with the BLR and can start concentrating on something else. Currently the trigger breaks clean, but at five pounds.

If you have a special rifle that you want to mount the scope down really low on, the Conetrol system is good for that. They are significantly prettier and stronger than most scope mounts, but they are also kind of expensive, so I would only recommend them for a gun that you really like a lot, and intend to hang onto.

Last edited by PVL; March 10, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Heh. About 30 years ago I mounted a Vari-X II w2x7 on my little Sako carbine, using the Conetrols which had supported a different scope for some ten years. Pretty little critters, aren't they?

Still there.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Ugly seems to be in the fashion today and Conetrol are

Still the prettiest scope mounts out there.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:36 PM   #4
math teacher

I mounted a Burris Widefield 3-9x40 on my Rem 700 with low Conetrol mounts back in the late seventies. I had to shave a little off the bolt handle to clear the eyepiece, but I loved the result. A few years ago I replaced the scope with a Kahles 3-9x42. The rings were too low for that scope, I switched to a set of Burris medium rings I had on hand, but I sure miss the Conetrols. Yours sure look neat. Good luck with them. I am sure you will be happy.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Rembrandt

Agree, the prettiest scope rings made....they speak quality and class.

Old March 11, 2013, 05:19 PM   #6
hooligan1

Jeeze those dude are bad--s, but they cost more than I can afford but they are the coolest.