The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 8, 2013, 01:37 PM   #1
weblance

I Bought a New Gun Today Just to Get the Magazine...

I recently had the itch for a 1911-22. I bought a Colt 1911 Gold Cup 22. Its made by Walther, and imported by Umarex. Yes... I understand its not really a Colt Gold Cup, but thats what it says on the slide. I really like this pistol, and one of the reasons I chose it over the other 1911 22s on the market was that it comes with a 12 round magazine. It has a quality feel, and shoots well. I started looking for magazines, and there are none. I cant find extras anywhere. I really like the idea of 12+1. With the current atmosphere concerning guns, and a looming high capacity magazine ban, I was worried that I wouldnt get another 12 round magazine. These pistols ship to areas that dont allow more that 10 rounds, with a 10 round magazine, instead of the 12 round mag. I imagine that very soon, all the new Colt 1911 22 pistols will have 10 round mags. I wont be surprised if, and when, the next shipment of magazines becomes available, the 12 rounders will be gone.

So today, I stopped by my favorite shop, and bought a Colt Government Model 1911-22. I know thats crazy... and I never thought I would be swayed by the hysteria that seems to be happening today, but I am happy I have 2 magazines now. When the next shipment of magazines becomes available, If all I can get are 10 rounders, that will be ok, but I sure would like 12s if they are available.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Venom1956

I seriously doubt that the 12 rounders are gonna go anywhere. unless local laws are being proposed near you.

I've also done that same move but not for the same exact reason. I got a 422 awhile back since it had 2 mags with it and i could use the mags in my model 41. they also turned out to be 12 rounders so it was win win.

I think it really sucks that guns aren't coming with multiple mags... Kinda bugs me. Two should be the minimum.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old March 8, 2013, 05:59 PM   #3
g.willikers

So, now that you have two of them, are you going to practice 1911-two-gun shooting, like Bruce Willis, in "Last Man Standing"?
Old March 8, 2013, 06:11 PM   #4
jimbob86

Well, you know what they say: "Two is one, and one is none."

http://nefirearm.com/
Old March 8, 2013, 11:28 PM   #5
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
"Two is one, and one is none."
And... 12 is 11?

Now you can tell for yourself whether or not the "Gold Cup" is more accurate than the "Government".

Now, go figure...
Old March 10, 2013, 01:31 AM   #6
9mm

A 1922 haha, duel weld them if your range allows it.