The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 27, 2011, 06:25 PM   #1
hoobens

Tanfoglio TZ 75 Governmemt

Hi,
I just bought an unfired Tanfoglio TZ 75 Government compact pistol. I've fired 150 rounds and it's a solid, reliable piece. Any fellow owners' impressions are welcome.
P.S. - Any idea on production numbers and value?
Old November 27, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Gun companies typically won't release information on how many guns they've made.
Since F.I.E. is long out of business, you're not going to get any info on production.

The F.I.E. TZ-75 Compact was known as the TZ-75 Government Model.
It was made in 1990 only. In November of 1990, F.I.E. filed for bankruptcy.

Value depends on actual condition. This is based on the amount of remaining original finish and mechanical condition.
One in 95% condition would be worth about $330.
Old November 27, 2011, 07:14 PM   #3
mkk41

They're made by Tanfoglio of Italy. Currently imported under the EAA brand. Good solid guns , they made the P9 & P40 guns for Springfield Armory Inc before the real Czech CZs became available.
Old November 27, 2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Ace_Breaker

I owned one of the TZ75 series 88 government models for about 20 years. I don't know the weight, but it was a heavy little chunk of metal. It was beefed up to be able to handle the .41AE conversion kit. In the end I felt that the CZ was a better handgun. Mine was $325 new in around 1990.
Old November 27, 2011, 09:38 PM   #5
C0untZer0

What does it look like? I'm coming across different pictures of it on Google...
Old November 28, 2011, 01:55 AM   #6
chris in va

Quote:
I just bought an unfired Tanfoglio TZ 75 Government compact pistol. I've fired 150 rounds and it's a solid, reliable piece
Bolded the contradictions.
Old November 28, 2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Bolded the contradictions.
Are you saying that it's too soon to make a judgment, having just bought the gun? If so, I agree.

On the other hand, all of the Tanfoglio-made guns I've encountered or owned have been pretty good guns... solid and reliable.

Let us hope that the OP has the same experience.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:50 PM   #8
B.N.Real

The finest 9mm handgun I ever fired in my life was a Tangfolio 9mm range gun twenty five years ago.

That gun had led a very hard life but it shot like an absolute dream.

I loved the grip ergonomics and until the Smith M&P series came out,nothing came close to being as well designed in the grip for me.

The slide release lever was cool too-long and angled just right to your thumb-right handed.

Shoot it and enjoy it,the one I shot was a great handgun.
Old March 8, 2013, 05:38 PM   #9
ibewbull

TZ 75 magazines

Any idea as to what other mags are interchanble with the TZ 75.
Been looking and it is not easy.
Any help would be nice.
Thanks.

Old March 8, 2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Don't know about the earliest models, and I suspect the TZ-75 is an early model... In the later years, mags for the CZ compacts would work in the Tanfoglio-made compacts, but not vice-versa. (The Tanfoglio mags were SHORTER than the CZ mags, and couldn't go UP into the grip far enough to engage the mag release.)

Full-size Tanfoglio mags will probably work in the Tanfoglio compact; they won't look great, will stick out too far, but function just fine.

You might wait until the next gun show, take your gun and try out various mags. If the mag will lock into the grip and hold the slide back when you rack it, it'll probably work OK.

Warning: some of the early Tanfoglio followers were different than later models, and different than CZ followers, and wouldn't lock back a CZ slide; never tried it the other way.