The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Vermonter

New Baretta Nano

I have been off and on considering a single stack 9mm of the micro flavor for some time. For me I am not looking at a year round EDC senario but rather something for lighter use. Something that I can conceal when I cannot get away with a G27.

The main reason I did this was to have a travel pistol. I wanted something I am not in love with that if it were to be lost by an airline I wouldn't cringe. Sure I would be upset but no emotional attachment (IE something that was a gift) etc etc.

I have been waiting for the LGS to get in either a Kahr CM9, The Nano, Or a Keltec PF9. I know the sheild is winning this race recently but I cannot get over the manual safety. Everything else in my carry rotation is point and shoot. Some DA/SA revolvers but still a trigger pull will get the job done.

Well the Evil LGS guy got in a Nano and it cam home with me yesterday.

I was able to run 120 rounds of a variety of 9mm ammo.

Sellier and Benoit SP? 50 rounds 3 failures to eject. These were the first 50
Blazer Brass 50 Rounds Zero Malfunctions
Speer Gold Dot 20 Rounds Zero Malfunctions. More accurate at 7 yards rapid fire than any gun I own period.

I should note that Midway through the box of S&B I realized that I had not cleaned, stripped, or lubed the new piece. I stopped my range session and did just that. After the lube there were no more malfs so I may very well have caused my own issue.

Overall if this thing is as accurate with Gold Dots and never fails with one I will be one happy camper.

Fit and finish is very glock like and it is what I would imagine a single stack G26 to be. It is considerably shorter and thinner.

Gun comes with two mags which was another selling point here.

Also being that it is a NY legal pistiol it may very well become the one I use when traveling between VT and PA.

That's all for now more after more shooting.

Regards, Vermonter
Old February 26, 2013, 01:34 PM   #2
stingray2100

Oh that is a sweet little gun...I have one and love it.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Vermonter

Sweet

Stingray did you do night sights?

Thanks, Kent
Old February 26, 2013, 10:29 PM   #4
shootniron

I am considering one...this is another vote to get one.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:11 PM   #5
meanmachine1961

Very nice. I brought one home with me, also, yesterday. Haven't had a chance to put any rounds thru it yet.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:17 PM   #6
SHE3PDOG

Sweet little gun. I've been debating back and forth with myself about whether I want this or a S&W Shield for when I get my permit. Hopefully you don't get anymore malfunctions. I know that would certainly scar my trust in it for carry if it kept happening.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 26, 2013, 11:19 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Don't forget...

If you plan on buying a few Beretta models this year or own a Nano & want a PX4/PX4 compact, you can get a $50.00 Beretta USA rebate(for both firearms).

The rebate offer is valid until 12/31/2013 & it's for any first responders or retired military/LE. First Responders means licensed security, sworn LE, firefighters, EMTs, corrections, fish-wildlife enforcement, US armed forces(reserves & National Guard too). See the Beretta USA website for information.

ClydeFrog
Old February 27, 2013, 12:13 AM   #8
olddav

Yep, I like it too.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Vermonter

Going shooting later today

Its snowing like well Vermont here I figure I will run another hundred rounds or so through the gun and see if the weather has an impact. I can say that I am not expecting malfunctions after it has been properly cleaned. Like I stated in my OP I believe that one was Me Culpa as they say.

I can also report that this gun will serve me well as a pocket gun in a standard pair of wrangler Jeans. I don't do the deep pocket homeboy jeans just a standard straight fit boot cut jean.

It this next range session goes as planned I will decide between night sights or a crimson trace laser grip. I will also research a holster choice which will be largely based on which low light sighting system I go with.

I am currently having trouble finding Baretta Night Sights anywhere in stock so if someone has a bead on that it would help.

Thanks, Kent
Old February 28, 2013, 05:50 PM   #10
Vermonter

Nano Update

Above is a group of Blazer Brass. I was able to run through 50 of these with only one failure to extract. Accuracy as you can see is doing well for me. This is roughly 7-10 yards (I say that because the snow was covering our markers and I wasn't standing exactly in the same spot twice.) Frankly I was shooting just faster than I am comfertable shooting and as you can see these would be what Rob Pincus refers to as compat accurate.

What came next was welcome. I ran 50 rounds of premium personal defense ammo.

Speer Gold Dot
Hornady Critical Defense
Federal Premium Personal Defense

As with the last range trip there were zero failures with the premium stuff. Obviously this gun will be carried with the premium stuff.

So far we are at the 220 round mark with 4 failures. Out of the 4 3 happened prior to cleaning. That is a 99% reliability rate and frankly I would throw the first 3 out anyway.

All and all this pistol carries nicely, draws nicely, shoots well for me, and will serve a role in my stable that I hadn't previously covered.

Thanks, Vermonter
Old February 28, 2013, 08:02 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

deep concealment/carry...

I'm looking into the cool OD & tan frame limited ed Nano's thru Lipsey's.
I'd advise carrying a FMJ or ball type round in the Nano. A Corbon PowRball or a Winchester Ranger T 124gr NATO FMJ. It feeds good & cycles in compacts.

Clyde
Old February 28, 2013, 09:22 PM   #12
bonefamily

Very nice!
Old February 28, 2013, 09:41 PM   #13
haltoo

I love my Nano. I carry it in a Remora 4ART holster and love it. I have the 8 and 6 round magazines, use the 6 to carry and 8 when I get home.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:46 PM   #14
haltoo

Another comment, and I'm not making fun of you Vermonter, but it's funny how many people spell Beretta wrong. If you just look at the titles in this forum you'll see it. Just an observation.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:32 PM   #15
ClydeFrog

Don't do the crime, baby....

I think many people mix up; Beretta with Baretta the popular Robert Blake cop drama in the 1970s, www.imdb.com .

As a kid, I thought Baretta was a PI not a cop & Jim Rockford(The Rockford Files) was a cop not a PI but this is for another forum... ....

CF
Old February 28, 2013, 11:14 PM   #16
Vermonter

Ammo

Hollow points are running fine. Its the low power stuff that has the only malfunctions. Lol I cant spel
Old March 1, 2013, 03:00 PM   #17
Hitthespot

That is one good looking gun. I was considering one, but went with the Kahr CM9 instead. 200 rounds and she's shooting beautiful, so I'm not sorry about my choice.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:34 PM   #18
Vermonter

Hit The Spot

I was up in the air regarding the Kahr. I most likely would have bought one of those if it had been at the LGS that day instead of the Nano. I will say that the Nano would win between the two because to the extra mag it comes with.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:26 PM   #19
Hitthespot

I don't think you went wrong and the extra mag is nice. The 3 FTE with the first 50 rounds is a little cause for concern, but it sometimes can be break in and getting all the factory gunk out. Keep us up to date on how it goes after say 500-1000 rounds. Who knows I may pick one of these up for CCW rotation. I have the SS kahr and would like to have an all dark gun.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:31 PM   #20
Schnitzjr

I have aprox 500 rounds through my Nano and the few fte's have occurred using 115g ammo. Never a problem with 124 g, even the cheap stuff.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:57 AM   #21
Smooth2o

@Vermonter
I hope you have a NYS CC permit. Travel between VT and PA is impossible without traveling through NY (well, you could go through Canada, I guess, but that's a whole 'nother problem). NY has no reciprocal arrangements with anyone.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:00 PM   #22
Vermonter

115 gr ammo

I would have to agree. My only failures are with 115 gr as well.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:34 PM   #23
REDBULL600

Nano

I have had my Nano since August 2012 and to date I have @ 1000 rounds threw it. This was/is my first handgun. I bought it with the intent to CC, which will be become reality on Saturday ( get my picture taken for the ID card), having never touched a handgun before the day I bought this gun. I have only run 124gr fmj and some 124gr jhp reloads. The reloads FTE so I have stayed away from using them in this gun and sounds like it was a novice mistake to use reloads on a new handgun anyways so there ya go. I have my sign Also, I didn't clean the gun till about the 700rd mark go ahead and lecture.. I have not had a single issue with any of the factory ammo.

I finally got the Beretta Ghost Hybrid holster from the Beretta Website and been wearing it around the house on the weekends with the gun loaded. I am sure to a seasoned CC it would comfortable but I find sticking anything in my pants alittle annoying. But its getting better, I'm looking into a OWB holster for it. I am currently looking for a Mag pouch for training courses.

The only ammo I can find right now has been 115gr so I will have to put that threw it eventually but I'll save it till I get around the 2000 mark. On the Beretta Forum, owners agree that 115gr does tend to FTE with this gun till about the 2000-3000 mark.

It came with 2 6rd mags but I have taken advantage of the free shipping on Beretta's website and gotten some 8rd mags too. I like to holster carry with the 8rd mag to get a good solid grip out of the holster. I'll use the 6rd mags for pocket carry, fits in the pockets better.

I completed a Basic Combat pistol course this weekend which opened my eyes to a magazine pouch on the belt. The instructor loaned me a cheap one size fits all 3 mag pouch for the belt and it did work nicely not one to use for everyday carrry and as I get into more training I want a mag pouch that will hold. Looking at the Multi holster Mag carrier.

The Nano did very well in training but I really should have gone with a larger gun for a first gun. that little barrel is unforgiving. But I do really like the gun. I hope Beretta would make a larger (compact) version with all the same features; striker fired, no slide lock, no safety and Beretta Quality.

I also have the Beretta Neos that I bought for Bowling pin League at my LGS. Its cheaper to shoot and I am a better shot with it

My final gun is a Hi-Point that I bought at a Gun Show. I thought hell this would be a good gun to take with me on ATV rides in the mud, snow, rain, sand, rivers etc...

Any ways, I thought I would post up about my Nano experience.

Good Luck and Carry on.
Thanks Andy
Old March 8, 2013, 03:18 PM   #24
oneoclock

Good choice. The Nano trigger won't bite you like the PF-9 even though both guns are nearly the same size.
Old March 8, 2013, 04:03 PM   #25
Vermonter

I just did a review update

http://gunroom.wordpress.com/2013/03...update-review/

I have put the Night Sites on it that Beretta sells online and purchased an additional mag for it as well.

With Kind Regards, Vermonter