The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 5, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
totheright

.45 ACP Ammo

I recently purchased a Baby Eagle II .45 ACP and would like to know what is an economical ammo (make) to use at the range and what to purchase for home defense. My preference would be to order ammo online so web sites would also be helpful.
Also cannot find a holster made exclusively for this make and model… and suggestions?
Old March 5, 2013, 10:42 PM   #2
AZBoneCrusher

Congratulations on your new Baby Eagle! You may find your holster here:

http://www.zahal.org/groups/shop-israeli-weapons-iwi

I recommend, trying your local Walmart for Tula Brass Maxx .45 Cal @ $19 per 50 rd box as target rounds.

I was able to locate a used Baby Eagle at a LGS for about $425. I hope to hit the range next weekend....can't wait.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:46 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Lol, in today's state of affairs? Whatever you can find.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:55 PM   #4
j357

Economical now is not the question. Availability will rule the day. American Eagle or WWB is the most likely type you will find for range use. Either are good. You will be a few weeks to months out to find any SD ammo. Hornady Critical Defense or Duty may be the first you will find. Any of the SD ammo will be $1 a round cheapest at pre panic prices.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Dan-O

Disagree. You'll find plenty of Defensive Ammo out there. And at a premium. Chances are you won't find plinking ammo for $hit. Unless you want to pay more than its worth.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:05 AM   #6
PatientWolf

Try WM. I found WW white boxes of .45 FMJ Monday for $21 a box. They occasionally get JHP in, but for home defense, you might try your LGS if no luck @ WM.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:18 AM   #7
Sparks1957

Quote:
You'll find plenty of Defensive Ammo out there. And at a premium. Chances are you won't find plinking ammo for $hit. Unless you want to pay more than its worth
Agreed. About all I'm seeing around here is the occasional box of Critical Defense or Gold Dots.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Revolver1

Anything for range. Hornady, PMC Starfire for defense.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:00 PM   #9
timn8er

Try Blazer Brass or PCM if you can find it. I found it at Dick's Sporting Goods not to long ago. Its reasonably priced & no dirtier than other brands.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:58 PM   #10

I shoot my handloads but I have fired the brands listed. I'd probably stick with WhiteBox, American Eagle or UMC, but If I could find Fiocchi or S&B, I'd buy it. Whitebox and UMC (Remington) can be had with a 230 gr. JHP. While not highly touted, it is decent defense ammo. As far as what passes the FBI testing for defense loads, I'd go with the 230 gr. SPEER Gold Dot or Ranger T. I live in Texas and my mags are filled with a handload that I make with the 185 gr. Golden Saber loaded to +P velocity.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:43 AM   #11
ClydeFrog

Top .45acp defense/carry rounds...

As posted in a few other topics, this is a awful, awful time to buy nearly any brand or caliber of ammunition in the USA.

The major websites & shooting industry firms are either low, out of stock or not doing any re-orders of popular calibers like .40, 9mm, .45acp, .44magnum, .357magnum, 10mm, etc.
If you can FIND it(the the A-Team ) here are a few top .45acp loads; Hornady Critical Duty 220gr .45acp, Remington Golden Saber 185gr or 230gr +P JHP, Speer Gold Dot 230gr +P JHP, Ranger T T Series 230gr JHP, Corbon DPX or PowRball. DoubleTap & BuffaloBore JHPs are fast & powerful but the Ranger T, Critical Duty, Golden Saber & Speer Gold Dot have good.
Some frangibles like DRT, MagSafe or Glaser Silver Safety Slugs could be good for home protection.
Only use factory .45acp rounds for defense, no hand loading or reloads.
ClydeFrog
www.shopcorbon.com www.magsafeonline.com www.midwayusa.com www.grafs.com www.buffalobore.com www.drtammo.com www.cabelas.com
Old March 7, 2013, 12:28 PM   #12
DasGuy

For range ammo, whatever is cheapest.

For protection look for Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger Ts, and Federat HST. I like 230gr for .45. Also make sure to get buy the "LE only" marked boxes. They're perfectly legal to buy, and you'll get 50 rounds for the price of 20 that they sell to us lowly civilians.

"Some frangibles like DRT, MagSafe or Glaser Silver Safety Slugs could be good for home protection."

Those do not provide reliable penetration. There was a video / power point going around that showed they cause wounds that look debilitating, but produce little actual damage to incappacitate a person.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:45 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

Frangibles...

Frangibles or exotics like DRT or Glaser Safety Slugs(Silver) are not ideal for all uses but could be useful in home protection or places that are densely populated: condos hotel rooms apts offices court bldgs medical centers etc.
Some I admit are bad; ExtremeShock, LeMas RCBD, etc.

The Glaser Safety Slug silvers have a better design & punch deeper than the smaller older Blue format.
Some exotics may not feed in a semi auto pistol either but they are worth a look. The Hornady Critical Duty or DPX or Ranger T .45acp JHP +P will do very well for a well made .45acp pistol.

For good Baby Eagle holsters see: www.highnoonholsters.com Skin Tite, www.blackhawk.com www.blade-tech.com www.donhume.com www.safariland.com www.usgalco.com www.tedblockerholsters.com www.galls.com www.uscav.com www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com
Old March 7, 2013, 04:20 PM   #14
southjk

A couple of sites to check:

Gunbot.net

AmmoSeek.com

Both update regularly during the day so keep checking.
Old March 7, 2013, 05:06 PM   #15
oldone

Being on a budget.....my range time has been cut down. Just can't afford anything but cheap ammo. Cheap for the pocket and cheap for the gun.
Old March 7, 2013, 05:22 PM   #16
CTS

MY LGS has plenty of Magtech and PMC Starfire on the shelf. Range ammo is another story. Glad I reload. I picked up some of the PMC for $18.99 per box of 20.
Old March 7, 2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Gaerek

I'll add +1 to those saying range ammo is hard to find.

I see far more premium JHP in all popular calibers than I do range FMJ. For now, shoot what you can find.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:13 PM   #18
Venom1956

once it goes back to around 30 cents per round ill be happy.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.