The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 4, 2013, 03:31 PM   #26
Strafer Gott

A Colt is a Colt, is a Colt. Could an M4 of any other brand shoot so sweet? Maybe. Is an HK416 an M4? No it is not! Do I think piston operated is cleaner, easier to work on, and more Nug proof? Yes, but that is not the question.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:52 PM   #27
chadio

With all due respect to the company and the fans of Colt products...

Colt isn't the only manufacturer on the face of the planet that is capable of building a reliable M4 .... or a 1911...
Old March 4, 2013, 04:03 PM   #28
Metal god

am I missing something here Does Remington own FN ? I thought FN got the contract after the redew . Why all the talk about remington ? There out and FN is in , yes ?

I have a Marine buddy thats an officer and he tells me his M4 that he carries is stamped FN not colt or Rem or HK.
As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old
Old March 4, 2013, 07:03 PM   #29
tahunua001

FN Herstal has the contract to build M16s, M4s stayed with colt.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:25 AM   #30
Bart Noir

Destructo6, you are correct about the IAR in the USMC. It's like they came full circle. Back in my pappy's day in USMC every 4th man in the rifle squad carried the BAR.

There is speculation about the IAR leading to a full USMC replacement of M16s. I really can't forecast how that will go. You can find lots of info on the IAR by a little Google-fu.

And Metal god, Remington does not own FN-USA. The FN factory in USA came about when FN got the contract for M249 Squad Auto Weapon (SAW) and the M240 tank machine gun. The M16 contracts and the general infantry adoption of the M240 followed. Along with a couple of generations of polymer framed handguns.

So FN is a big player in arming our troops.

Bart Noir
Old March 6, 2013, 11:52 AM   #31
Auto426

Quote:
Quote:
the US armed forces are not looking to replace the M16/4 any time soon and couldn't afford to do so even if they wanted.
If I am not mistaken, the USMC just adopted HK's gas piston operated AR as the, "Infantry Automatic Rifle."

I understand that it is not intended to be issued to all Marines, but that could be the beginning of a significant change.
The HK, known in the Marines as the M27, is set to replace the M249 SAW. It won't be seeing general issue to all troops.

Right now I seriously doubt anything will come out of the Individual Carbine competition. The weapons submitted likely won't provide enough additional benefit to justify the cost of widespread adoption, and we will more than likely just standardize on the M4A1 across all branches of the service.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:40 PM   #32
tahunua001

Quote:
The HK, known in the Marines as the M27, is set to replace the M249 SAW. It won't be seeing general issue to all troops.

Right now I seriously doubt anything will come out of the Individual Carbine competition. The weapons submitted likely won't provide enough additional benefit to justify the cost of widespread adoption, and we will more than likely just standardize on the M4A1 across all branches of the service.
that'd be nice, my ship was stuck with M16A2s still.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.