The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 17, 2013, 11:53 AM   #76
SC4006

This video is a little dark at first, but it clearly answers your ".50 BMG vs deer" question.

http://youtu.be/PsD64KkCBFs

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old February 17, 2013, 05:10 PM   #77
warbirdlover

Relative was a WWII pilot flying P-38's. Basically when they straffed the islands the soldiers below would be blown into pieces. Very powerful round and to compare to a "scaled up" .30-06 is ridiculous.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:53 PM   #78
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, I dunno, wbl. I was on M-19s for a while, and a 40mm is just a scaled-up .50.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:40 PM   #79
Wally21

Last semester in my speech class I had a former Army Armorer(don't remember her exact MOS) talk about her job. From what she was telling us about the .50 was that you didn't even need to hit the target to do damage. She said that the energy it had could tear off an arm just by grazing it.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:27 AM   #80
btmj

I scanned through this long thread to see if someone else had already pointed this out, but I didn't see it.

In the class of big game cartridges for BIG game, there are several in the 5000 - 6000 ft-lb class: 416 Rigby, 378 WBY, 458 Lott, 470 nitro-express (NE), 500 NE, etc.

Then there are a couple in the 7000 - 8500 ft-lb class: 460 WBY, 600 nitro-express, 577 tyrannosaur, plus a variety of specialty/wildcat cartridges.

And then there is the 50 bmg... with 14,000 ft-lb of energy... It is basically double the energy of the most powerful elephant/rhino cartridges around. This is not a small step up in energy... going from a 243 to a 375 H&H is doubling the energy, so imagine that there is as much difference between a 375 H&H and a 243 as there is between a 50 bmg and the most powerful elephant cartridges around.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:01 AM   #81
Scorch

Quote:
This video is a little dark at first, but it clearly answers your ".50 BMG vs deer" question.
I watched a guy gut-shoot a deer with a 30-30 once, and it looked about the same except for the instant drop. Seems like someone with a high-precision sniper rifle should be able to do better than gut-shooting a little tiny forked-horn buck. Digging up a 2-year-old thread to post BS is ridiculous. Gimme a break.

Where is the "barf" emoticon when you need it?
Old February 21, 2013, 07:12 PM   #82
burnout002

Quote:
50 BMG was not developed to shoot people, it was developed in 1920 to shoot the then-new tanks, and during the past 90 years it has done many tasks well (including shooting tanks). IIRC, a 50 BMG will shoot through 6" of armor plate or 13" of reinforced concrete.

Here i have a link that a .50 bmg AP can penetrate 25.4mm of RHA at 200 meters.
http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/i...g/50_ammo.html

here is a other link
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...65/ch12.htm#p7

As far as i know global security is pretty reliable.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:35 PM   #83
Deja vu

Its about as powerful as you can get for a rifle that can be carried by a single person (only some models).

The one I shoot does not have bad recoil at all. Id say about the same as a 12ga. It does how ever have a big shock wave when you shoot it. It has been known to throw small boxes (such as a carton of 50 22lr) of ammo of the bench next to us when we shoot it.

Some times when I shoot it I feel like not only do I need ear plugs and muffs but that I should also have nose plugs. The shock for me is felt the most in my sinuses.

It is also very accurate. I have shot targets 1 mile away (at an informal competition) the target was 5 foot by 5 foot and while I did not win I was able to get all 5 rounds on the target... at 1 mile that target looks really small.

The reason you don't read about it much in Africa is that the law in most of the countries does not allow military cartridges so the 50BMG is illegal to hunt with.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 24, 2013, 06:22 AM   #84
50 shooter

It's funny to read this and see all the typical myths about the 50 BMG round. Then there are some posts with factual info about the 50 BMG.

The 50 BMG is not some uber weapon of death, it was designed to take out tanks but by the time WWII rolled around it was obsolete. When changed to the M3 aircraft version and had the cyclic rate upper to 1000+ rounds per minute, it ripped planes to shreds.

With new weapons and upgraded M2's along with better ammo like the SLAP and Mk-211 mod 0 Raufoss, these weapons will take out lightly armored vehicles. They will also punch through concrete walls, cars, sandbags... Then add in the fact that you can make hits on targets past a mile, that's pretty friggin awesome for a round that's been around for almost 100 years.

As for BC of the round, even ball ammo has a BC of .6+ which is still more then most other rounds. Another thing about the 50 BMG round is that it displaces so much air that you can actually follow it to the target and make corrections.
No time for rearranging.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:39 PM   #85
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Relative was a WWII pilot flying P-38's. Basically when they straffed the islands the soldiers below would be blown into pieces. Very powerful round and to compare to a "scaled up" .30-06 is ridiculous.
But the P-38's concentrated firepower didn't suffer from pattern convergence, and so soldiers were likely hit with multiple rounds, along with a 20mm cannon round at intervals which was also part of the Lightning's armament. A bit different than getting hit with a single round fired from a rifle, though I'm not detracting from the .50's awesome power.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:34 AM   #86
The Long Shot

The only way a .50 BMG is going to turn terrorists into red mist is with a raufoss (mk211) hitting a target with body armor.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:42 PM   #87
Grizzdude

Here is what the 50 BMG does to steel at long range, also a few other short videos of shooting concrete, ice chunks, and large rocks.

50 BMG tearing it up!

Please visit my website! Grizzdude's gun's website
Old March 4, 2013, 09:07 PM   #88
boattale

As an interesting aside, the .50 BMG has an almost identical trajectory as the 106 MM recoilless rifle.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:17 PM   #89
50 shooter

You're thinking of the M48A1 Spotter Tracer round, the 106mm recoiless had a semi automatic rifle attached to it. The ST's were used to range the target by tracing out and then when they hit would smoke. If the rounds were within killing range the gunner would fire the 106 mm round.

I believe the semi that was attached to the 106mm was the M8-C.
No time for rearranging.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:44 PM   #90
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I watched a guy gut-shoot a deer with a 30-30 once, and it looked about the same except for the instant drop. Seems like someone with a high-precision sniper rifle should be able to do better than gut-shooting a little tiny forked-horn buck.
It was a "quartering towards" shot, and the gut wound was the exit. If you get an exit on a well-placed quartering towards shot, it's going to be pretty far back (in the gut) on the off side.
Quote:
She said that the energy it had could tear off an arm just by grazing it.
It doesn't. Nothing without exploding projectiles does.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:55 PM   #91
James K
Member In Memoriam

The .50 was a scaled up .30-'06, or at least Browning said it was, and I think he should know.

But in the area of small arms, it is pretty awesome. It won't penetrate a modern tank, of course, but it will do serious damage to lighter armored vehicles.

Note: AP ammo does not penetrate armor through pure force, like a .22 punching a hole in a can. The bullet is stopped by the armor, causing a massive energy dump and melting the steel, allowing the AP core to penetrate. But to do that, the armor has to be thin enough that it doesn't act as a heat sink. If it does, the core will just stick in the armor as it "freezes". There was a German tank turret at Aberdeen with dozens of .30 AP cores sticking in it, sort of like a pincushion with sort pins.

Jim
Old March 11, 2013, 10:42 PM   #92
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The .50 was a scaled up .30-'06, or at least Browning said it was, and I think he should know.
Indeed.

The shoulder angle is different, 17.5 degrees in the .30-06 vs 15.7 degrees in the 50BMG. Other than that, you'd be pretty close if you took every dimension in a 30-06 cartridge and scaled it up by 1.65 times.

It looks like there's a little more taper to the .50BMG, the base and rim diameters scale to about 1.7 times that of the .30-06.

The case of the .50BMG is proportionally slightly shorter than that of the .30-06, it's only a factor of 1.57 times longer.

Bullet diameter, Neck diameter, Case diameter at the shoulder, OAL, Neck length and shoulder length are all in the range of 1.62 to 1.68 times larger than the .30-06.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:51 PM   #93
dakota.potts

Now for the next question.

How powerful is a 20mm Lahti?
Old March 12, 2013, 12:59 PM   #94
silvrjeepr

How powerful is .50 bmg, really?

Puny 50 bmg. The news station told me that an AR is the most powerful weapon known to man. Even Chuck Norris is scared of them. If they were around in WWII, we could have taken Hitler down with a single squad in a week.

Sorry couldn't resist.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:20 PM   #95
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
It does how ever have a big shock wave when you shoot it.
I thought it worth mentioning I was too close to a ported gun, although a couple feet away, and right in the ports path and received a slight concussion. I was very surprised.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:02 PM   #96
kinoons

Just to add a little more to the .50bmg -- wasnt the bell X-1 designed after the projectile?
Old March 13, 2013, 10:27 PM   #97
50 shooter

Yes, they used the design of the .50 BMG for it because they knew it was stable at supersonic speeds. If you look at a 50 BMG round and the front of the X-1 you can see the resemblance.
No time for rearranging.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:05 AM   #98
natman

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
30-06 is about 60% of what .50 bmg is.
No, no it isn't. I'd say your buddy is closer to the truth than you are.
If you're going to quote someone, at least quote them accurately. Here's what the OP actually said:

Quote:
According to Wikipedia .50 bmg is essentially a scaled up 30-06 and its dimmensions are about 60% larger.
A 30-06 case is about 2.5 inches long.
60% larger means 1.6 times as large.
2.5"x1.6=4".
A 50 BMG case is 3.91 inches long, close enough to 4" to be "about 60% larger".