The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 16, 2012, 07:45 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

I think it was a stupid idea to begin with. Anyone seen high sales of 500 SW special chambered guns? Of course not. Why in the world would you introduce a big bore caliber based off another BUT weaker? Makes no sense.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:14 PM   #27
22-rimfire

Quote:
Why in the world would you introduce a big bore caliber based off another BUT weaker? Makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense since the 480 Ruger is no slouch in the power department. Shoot one, you'll see. It is the "special" version of the 475 Linebaugh. However, I wold have preferred that Ruger chamber the SRH in 475/480 rather than just the 480.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:22 PM   #28
laytonj1

Quote:
However, I wold have preferred that Ruger chamber the SRH in 475/480 rather than just the 480.
Apparently that's how most felt, hence, the lack of sales.

Jim
Old February 16, 2012, 08:22 PM   #29
tjh

A Redhawk in 4" and 6" and 5 shot would been better than a super redhawk. 4" redhawk down loaded would make a carry gun , 6" would cover the hunting side .
Old February 26, 2013, 12:27 AM   #30
Ruger480

Sorry I'm late to this thread and this forum. This "place" is awesome!
I have a 480 (obviously) and I freakin looooove it! I bought it off my father in law for 200 bucks. He called it the poor mans big bore. When you compare the cost of 480 ammo (I don't reload) to that of the 460XVR, its cheap. I can usually find 325 gr ammo at Sportsmans and if not there then Scheels always has it.

I have the 7 1/2inch and use it mainly for deer, but thats only because Iowa doesn't have moose or brown bears or elk...

I can speak to the brass sticking. It does. Unless its 30 degrees or below. Then it slides right out. I really dont care though. Brass sticking in the cylinder is the only issue I have and I consider it a minor one.
I guess the other issue I have would be finding a cc holster for it but thats it

Last edited by Ruger480; February 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:52 AM   #31
Gdawgs

Well, Ruger is making them again, and I wouldn't mind having one. I Have no need for it, since I already have a 454 and a 460, but why not??
Old February 26, 2013, 10:13 AM   #32
DealHunter

Quote:
Well, Ruger is making them again, and I wouldn't mind having one. I Have no need for it, since I already have a 454 and a 460, but why not??
http://ruger.com/products/superRedha...rd/models.html
http://ruger.com/products/superRedha...an/models.html

Yup, making both versions of the SRH again starting in 2013, so I'm assuming they think there is interest in the cartridge again otherwise they wouldn't bother...

Perhaps they'll listen to the customers now and try for a SBH (I know I'd get one, even more so if they offered it in a Hunter config).
Old February 26, 2013, 10:22 AM   #33
Wyosmith

Ruger totally 'missed the boat' with the 480.
It kicks too hard for use in a double action frame for most men to enjoy.
If they were to bring it out in a 5 shot cylinder in a Bisley Super blackhawk they would sell all they could make.
DA is of no advantage with a 480. It’s strictly a hunting cartridge and a SA is not really any slower to make HITS with but the bisley frame would keep the recoil from being painful

I wrote them a letter to this effect a few years ago, but was never answered.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:06 AM   #34
22-rimfire

Welcome Ruger480 to the forum.

Quote:
Ruger totally 'missed the boat' with the 480. It kicks too hard for use in a double action frame for most men to enjoy.
If Ruger missed the boat, it was in not marketing it sufficiently back when it was introduced. It does kick. I think it kicks a lot, but that is me. Many people like a DA revolver over a single action. Whether the recoil impulse would be more manageable in a single action frame is another matter.

You have to want to shoot these big bore revolvers. They are not for everyone and I don't think they were ever envisioned as a revolver for everyone. They knew it was essentially a hunting revolver and as such they chose to make it in the 7.5" and 9.5" barrel lengths. I have a 9.5". It is quite the hawg to carry, but manageble in a shoulder type holster.

The 480 Ruger is all you need for hunting whitetails or any North American game that you can get close enough to make a fair shot.

As far as a Ruger single action goes... You can get the 480/475 in the Magnum Research BFR in 6.5" and 7.5". It is not a bisley frame however. It is a well made revolver and I would call it a Ruger+. They pay a bit more attention to detail than Ruger.

Since Ruger is making both the Alaskan and the 7.5" SRH, I think there will be a sufficient supply to meet the demand since it was discontinued. I would like to see them make a 5.5" or 6.5" SRH. It would be a lot handier in the woods. I think the SRH is a better revolver than the Redhawk.

There would certainly be interest in a Ruger manufactured a 5-shot single action using the Bisley frame. But for now, I am pleased that Ruger has at least started making a few production runs of the SRH. They are not inexpensive however.

Added: I want to get an Alaskan in 480 Ruger. If I see one at a shop, I will probably take it home with me if the price is half way fair.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; February 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:27 PM   #35
temmi

I have a 480R with a 7.5 inch bbl and my oldest has one with a 9.5inch bbl

I love mine but his is just too big

That said if you do not have a 480R you are really missing out.

It is a great round and easy to reload

Snake
Old February 26, 2013, 03:28 PM   #36
saleen322

480 Ruger

I wanted to get a larger bore revolver and did a lot of research deciding on the S&W 460 over the 480 and others. Maybe the Ruger has something that I missed but the 460 can shoot a low power 45 Colt, a moderate powered 454 Casull, or a higher power 460 all with very good accuracy. While most of us load so we can adjust the power of the ammo, it is a plus for any revolver if it can shoot multiple calibers. I like the revolver but shooting 100 rounds of full power 460 would not make a fun range day and start to get old somewhere between shot #30 and 40!
Old February 26, 2013, 04:02 PM   #37
22-rimfire

There is one crucial difference with the 480 and 460... the 480 is a .475 caliber and 460 a .45 caliber. But if you are seeking extreme velocities, then the 480 is not the choice for you.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:31 PM   #38
wooly booger

I think it is a great cartridge marketed to the wrong crowd. Its performance is adequate but not spectacular out of 7.5 and 9.5 barrels as a hunting cartridge. The only available guns were / are huge and impractical for long term woods carry ( even the 2" Ruger Alaskan is like carrying a brick).

I have advocated to deaf ears for many years the chambering of the .480 in a 5 shot 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk. This would be a perfect affordable bear backup for western bowhunters and wouldn't require a wheelbarrow to haul it around.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:13 PM   #39
Super Sneaky Steve

Ruger should make a nice carbine rifle for the .480. That would ensure that it would never die and would make getting a revolver in the same caliber make more sense.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:33 PM   #40
22-rimfire

I wonder how much re-engineering of the Mini-14/30 it would take to use the 480 Ruger. It might actually be a good idea and certainly be an interesting rifle and I might buy one. A ten-round mag would be fine. The pundits would of course say that better rifle cartridges are available? They have chambered their No. 1 (single shot).
Old February 26, 2013, 10:03 PM   #41
wooly booger

Quote:
I wonder how much re-engineering of the Mini-14/30 it would take to use the 480 Ruger.
a whole new rifle design. The .480 is rimmed, has a huge case head,
The old deerfield .44 was be a more viable candidate for an auto in .480

I'd personally love to see Ruger revive the old Number 3. There are a lot of cool newer cartridges that would be great in that platform.
Old February 27, 2013, 03:03 PM   #42
Gray2Hairs

480/475 Linebaugh

It seems that many think the 480 is missing the mark as far as power, size, etc. You want a 480 in a single action so just buy a 475 Linebaugh. It shoots the 480 and the 475 Linebaugh so you get the best of both worlds. Since the 480 is basically a 475 Special I don't see it as a problem.

That said, I find my Super Redhawk 7.5" barrel is easier on my wrists that my Blackhawk in 44 mag. The 480 kicks for sure but not nearly as punishing as my 44 mag. Since many 475 Linbaugh shooters load down to 480 Ruger levels it seems there are more options for us than just the Super Redhawk.
Old February 27, 2013, 03:44 PM   #43
TATER

Yes, I agree, The BlackHawk in .44 Mag produces a lot of torch-wrenching twist associated its recoil, unlike the SRH 480.
Old February 28, 2013, 04:43 AM   #44
Pointshoot

The 480 looked interesting to me since it came out, and I considered getting one over the years. What prevented me is that it was in a Super Redhawk which is IMHO one of the ugliest & most ungainly handguns out there. It looks like something that would come from a plumber's toolbox. If it had come in a Super Blackhawk or Redhawk package I probably would have owned one long ago.
Old February 28, 2013, 01:49 PM   #45
22-rimfire

Quote:
think it is a great cartridge marketed to the wrong crowd. Its performance is adequate but not spectacular out of 7.5 and 9.5 barrels as a hunting cartridge. The only available guns were / are huge and impractical for long term woods carry ( even the 2" Ruger Alaskan is like carrying a brick).
What crowd do you thing Ruger marketed the 480 SRH to? I found my scoped 9.5" SRH to be impractical to carry in the woods IF you are also carrying a rifle. As a stand alone hunting revolver and a proper holster, they carry pretty easily and in fact more easily than most rifles. When I carry it, it is the only firearm I carry hunting and it has been mostly woods hunting. The Alaskan is a dedicated backup revolver where nothing but a big bore will do in the mind of the shooter.

Choosing a big bore revolver.....

If you are interested in getting into the big bore game (41 mag+), it would be a good investiment in knowledge to buy Maz Prasac's book "Big-Bore Revolvers". The 480 Ruger is a reasonable first step into this new realm of shooting. You get a reasonable summary of what is available and Max's experience with each as well as useful information on simply shooting these revolvers. One table that is useful is the "Recoil Table" on page 164 in sorting out just how powerful these calibers are and the amount of recoil.

Pointshoot, maybe the BFR 480/475 would be a good choice for you. I agree the SRH's are ugly. But they handle the pressure and are reasonably accurate. The SRH is the ugliest revolver I own. But I would buy another one. Guess they aren't too ugly...

Last edited by 22-rimfire; February 28, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:19 PM   #46
Gray2Hairs

To Ruger480 about CC holster

I carry my Ruger 7 1/2" Super Redhawk 480 in a Bianchi X15 Large. The holster is huge and the bottom strap connects to my belt just right. At 5' 9" and 230 I am shaped more like an avocado with toothpicks for legs but the gun hides well.

With a jacket or large open shirt it is concealed enough to surprise my other CC friends. Fortunately here in Washington State open carry is legal so an occasional accidental viewing is a non-issue.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:25 PM   #47
Nathan

The 480 Ruger died because Ruger needs to put it in s 5 shot $600 blue color case hardened Blackhawk Bisley 4 5/8, 5.5 and 7.5". I would tackle someone to get that gun. They could make SS also for work.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:07 PM   #48
22-rimfire

You can get a custom made without much difficulty just like you want.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:56 AM   #49
Nathan

Custom is available, yes, but I don't want a $2000 480 Ruger. This is the failure. If custom SA's are available, why not factory?
Old March 1, 2013, 06:30 AM   #50
Pointshoot

Yep, what Nathan said.

There are a lot of us out there, that don't really 'need' a new gun or a new cartridge. Weve already got 45 Colt, 44 Mag, 454, etc, etc chambered handguns.
So if we get something else, we'll have to perform the mental tricks of coming up with 'reasons' why we just gotta get the new gun. Bottomline with that, is just plain liking and wanting it. The maker has to provide something which appeals to us and entices us to buy. For me . . . that isnt in a SuperRedhawk.

I don't 'need' a five shot 480 SuperBlackhawk or Redhawk either. But with those guns, if you gave me a day or two, I'm sure I could invent the 'reasons' for needing one !
And no, the 'need' doesnt get to the level of being willing to put out $2k and waiting for a year to get a custom. Instead, we're almost talking about an impulse purchase.
The market for the 480 ? Guys that don't really need one, but could be enticed to buy one - - - if we like the package its in.

Last edited by Pointshoot; March 1, 2013 at 06:47 AM.