The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 20, 2013, 01:18 AM   #26
Redhawk5.5+P+

Post#23

44 AMP

Quote:
The 29s have great sights and great triggers, The Rugers are good, but not quite as good in this as the S&W.
If that's the case, those S&W are absolutely magic. I'd put my Ruger Redhawk against just about any gun out there including my two S&W Performance Center .357s at three time the cost each.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:48 AM   #27
Pharm

I've owned a number of each. The Redhawk is a good gun, but I find the 629 more refined with a better trigger.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:29 PM   #28
jad0110

I own and love both, so there's you solution! If durability is important, also consider the Colt Anaconda. It is reputed to be at least as tough as the Ruger.

Old February 22, 2013, 11:32 PM   #29
Mauser8mm

Smith & Wesson Model 29

First handgun I ever shot was the Model 29 .44 magnum, quite a start. It has a smooth trigger pull on the single action, and a pretty nice double action. The 6 inch barrel on the one I shot was perfect. I love the Model 29, it is a great gun and I highly recommend it. Doesn't kick too bad when you get the hang of it. Plus it is the Dirty Harry gun! How could you pass that up!?
Old February 23, 2013, 04:16 PM   #30
Meeteetse

Other than the caliber being the same, the S&W 29/629 and the Ruger Redhawk are two different guns. IMHO, the S&W, especially a 4" bbl. 29 in blue, is one of the best looking guns ever built and the 6" version is Dirty Harry's. What more can you ask for in a handgun. With reasonable use of standard 44 mag loads and the enjoyment of 44 specials (Dirty Harry's favorite load), this gun will last a life time or two, and look good doing it.

The Redhawk on the other hand is the M1 Tank of handguns. I'm sure you could destroy it with atomic loads, but I suspect you would give up before the gun will. With the 4" bbl., the Redhawk is reasonable to carry. With standard magnum loads the gun for me is easier to handle than the S&W, with 44 specials the Redhawk acts like a .38 special. The 5.5" gun is not quite as handy and trim as the 6" S&W, but both the 4" and the 5.5" guns give a feeling of quality and something substantial that gives confidence. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for me the Redhawk comes in second to the S&W, but only in looks.

If I were picking a gun for limited magnum use and for great esthetics and a smooth trigger, I would always go for the S&W. If I am picking a gun with the durability to handle a diet of magnums and last, I would pick the 4" Redhawk. Only you know how the gun will be used, but most who own .44 mags get the most enjoyment from them with loads well below full magnum. Enjoy whatever you choose. Personally I couldn't live with just one, so I have both.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:40 PM   #31
magnum777

The model 29 has a smoother trigger pull, but the Red hawk is more durable.