The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 25, 2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Sabre9mm

Olympic Arms Plinker flat top

Opportunity to buy one, $995, NIB.

No experience with them, worth it?
Old February 25, 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Sabre9mm

Went for the Colt LE 6920 NIB as well, for an extra $500
Still might want to go back for the Olympic though if he has it in a day or two, so would still welcome opinions on its worth at that price.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Fishbed77

You made the right choice, though Wal-Mart is still listing the 6920 for $1097.

The Olympic is a $600 rifle, at best, regardless of the panic.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Sabre9mm

Yeah, I looked up MSRP on the colt, but finding one new is the problem here, or heck, used for that matter.

I believe Bird in hand makes it worth the few hundred more, at least to me.

So either the panic will clear (And be back another day), and I will have gotten off just a little overpaid, or it will stay and I will have gotten in for far less than people are gouging right now.

I am at peace with either...

Good to know on the Olympic arms, I think I will avoid that one, a S&W + a Colt should suit me fine. Thank you for the input.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Adamantium

If you keep it and shoot it for the rest of your life the extra few hundred dollars will be insignificant compared to the cost of ammo anyway.

Not that it effects you but I had an Olympic for several years and it was a really good rifle. People love to hate on Oly but most actual owners say good things about them.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Sabre9mm

I almost bought it just because of what it was, being new, and figured it would have resale if the current trend progressed.

But when he mentioned the colt coming in, I was all over it, cannot deny that name. Between S&W and Colt, if I do not have a quality Primary/Spare then I guess I am just out of luck...
Old February 25, 2013, 02:19 PM   #7
t45

Its a few hundred dollars more than what they were selling for a few months ago. On Gunbroker they are going for $1400. I bought mine several months ago and paid $799. Its a good shooter. In this day and age, I would go for it. I have a Colt and would put my Olympic up against it for quality and workmanship.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:03 PM   #8
globemaster3

I own a few Olympics, and have nothing bad to say about any of them.

Their bad press came from over a decade ago when they used cast receivers vs forged. I've heard nothing negative from any owners who have experience with rifles made in the last decade. Also, a lifetime warranty is nothing to sneeze at.

All that said, the plinker is their entry-level, no frills rifle. Lightweight barrel IIRC, A2 stock, standard handguards. I don't have the catalog in front of me, but the MSRP was somewhere in the $600 range. Obviously that was prepanic.

You still got a good rifle. Although WalMart may still show an advertised price on the Colt 6920, I have not seen a single one in any of the 3 local stores in well over a month.