The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2013, 07:37 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Sizing die

I am running a Lee Loadmaster for 9mm. Just going through the steps before I start dropping powder. Seems like I am pretty close. I had to back my sizing die to the point that it only goes about half the distance between the ejector groove and top of case. I am well within specs and the empty cases load and eject from my 1911 fine. I was kind of hoping for some hard numbers or more definite depths. I started off trying to run the die to the groove but abandoned that idea due to excessive force to get the die down. If the top diameters are correct is the case correct and die depth correct?
Old February 24, 2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Excessive force to get the die down?

You should be raising the ram to full height with the die backed out and no case in the shellholder and then screwing the die down until it touches the shellholder, then lower the ram and screw the die die another 1/4 turn.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:15 AM   #3
BoogieMan

I would break the press (if the bench didnt flip first) if I ran the die down that far. After moving from that station the brass is under spec on the top (open end) by .007-.010". The base right above ejector groove is .001-.002 under size, which im sure is normal tolerance.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Ultimately, if they run in your gun, nothing else matters but it shouldn't be anywhere near that difficult.

Carbide dies? Are you using any lube at all? It can help, even if only on a couple cases now and then.

9mm is tapered and your essentially sizing the taper out of it, so it does take a bit more force but it shouldn't be anything like breaking a press hard.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:35 AM   #5
Shootest

Quote:
I would break the press (if the bench didnt flip first) if I ran the die down that far.
No you will not break anything. The dimensions given are maximum and you should be undersize.
If you are not setting the die as Brian described above then something else is wrong.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:48 AM   #6
steve4102

Quote:
No you will not break anything. The dimensions given are maximum and you should be undersize.
If you are not setting the die as Brian described above then something else is wrong.
^^This^^

Set the die up correctly.

The 9mm can be difficult to size due to it's tapered case. Some guys lube them even with Carbide dies, some guys lube every fourth or fifth case and some guys like me just push hard on the lever.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:02 AM   #7
BoogieMan

I reset the die as described, touch shell plate and back off 1/4 turn or so. I think I was just surprised at the amount of pressure required. Carbide Lee dies. Ran 20 at 3.9 of HP-38 and 20 at 4.2.
One other issue with primer on another thread.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:32 AM   #8
dmazur

Quote:
I reset the die as described, touch shell plate and back off 1/4 turn or so.
I thought I read "another 1/4 turn" further up in this thread, which isn't backing it off.

However, the instructions I have for carbide dies are that the die mouth should just touch the shell plate at the top of stroke. (Carbide is brittle.)

The depriming rod can be set too low in some dies, hitting the bottom of the case before it enters the die completely. You might check that to see if it is adjusted low enough to deprime, but not so low as to interfere with resizing.
Old February 24, 2013, 03:56 PM   #9
BoogieMan

Well I went and shot the loads. 3.9 and 4.2 of HP38 over a 125 LRN, 9mm. They all went bang as I expected. Didnt have any low or soft loads. the 4.2 tends to group a little better for me, but I only shot 10 of each and my reloading buddy shot 10 of each. I am going to load a few hundred of the 4.2 and see what happens. I need some more die plates so I can switch to some diferent calibers. The fun in reloading seams to be the setup, IMO