The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2013, 08:00 AM   #1
trapper300RUM

LEE Pro 1000 Progressive

I am getting ready to go progressive & i am buying the LEE Pro 1000 it dosen't require me to sell a kidney to pay for it & there is alot of videos of the press online I know that some hate this press I have studied the vids & read up & i will manage to make some good ammo with it .
Old February 21, 2013, 10:07 AM   #2
chiefr

You can reload with the Pro 1000, but my experiances with this press is it requires constant tuning, adjusting, and maintenance. Seems you have read the reviews and know what to expect.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:57 AM   #3
maillemaker

It's a good deal for the money.

I've reloaded over 1000 rounds of .45 ACP with mine.

My two biggest complaints are the primer feed and the case feed.

With the primer feed, you must keep the primer feed ramp full of primers at all times. It maintains, via gravity, the pressure on the first primer in line to make sure it gets pushed into position properly If the primers bridge in the primer container, then the feed ramp will go dry, and you will have primer feed problems - usually the primer turns sideways and you try to press it in place sideways. The loader has a "jiggler" that engages notches in what of the support uprights that is supposed to wiggle the primer tray for you, but it is not sufficient. I have to give it two or three hard thumps to break lose any bridged primers. I now do this by habit every stroke.

With the case feeder, as your tubes get down to the last 3-4 cases there is not enough downward pressure on the currently-feeding case so that when it hits the aluminum deck it will bounce. When it does, it very often jumps forward a hair, just enough so that on the upstroke the case mouth with catch on the die holder plate, preventing further travel. You have to reach in with your finger and push it back out of the way.

Of course being a 3-station press, crimping and seating are done in the same die. This can be tricky to set up, but it's not overly so, and once you have it set you don't have to mess with it.

Of course there is no way to use a powder cop die so you will have to eyeball each case before you set a bullet on it and make sure it looks like there is the right amount of powder in there.

Even with its faults, you can easily crank out 300 rounds of ammo in an hour or two.

Steve
Old February 21, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4
fishbones182

The pro 1000 is a great press. Take your time watch the videos and dont get frustrated during the time of fine tuning and youll be a happy camper. Spend the few extra bucks and go for the load master. Then youll have a progressive that can do any round you may desire to load. In my experience your either love or hate the lee progressives. For the money i saved versus a dillon or rcbs i dont mind the fine tuning to get them to run well.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:34 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
I am getting ready to go progressive & i am buying the LEE Pro 1000 it dosen't require me to sell a kidney to pay for it & there is alot of videos of the press online I know that some hate this press I have studied the vids & read up & i will manage to make some good ammo with it .
You tube, "San Francisco Liberal with a Gun". He has a couple hours of video on making the Pro 1000 run.

Quote:
My two biggest complaints are the primer feed and the case feed.
I never installed the case feed. I feed manually.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 21, 2013, 07:17 PM   #6
oldpapps

Got one.

Keep it lubed.

Positive up motion and firm down.

I don't like the chain pull and switched to the 'Auto Disk' from the 'Pro Auto Disk' and added the Adjustable Bar.

Works very well for me.

Load with care,

OSOK
Old February 21, 2013, 08:59 PM   #7
HiccaBurp

I love my Lee Pro 1000

I bought mine used about 2+ years ago. The guy didn't use it because he couldn't get it to function properly. I got it and dies and a bunch of other stuff for a great deal. Brought it home and start experimenting.. and sure enough, was having issue with the primer seating. Watched the videos, took it apart and took my time putting back together.. I figured out his issue.. he put the primer "pin" upside down!!

That was over 2 years ago and 5,000+ rounds of mostly 9mm.. some 40 & 10mm! The timing is critical!!! Watch this video and set your timing like they tell you and I've never had any issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8tf...sJQZQ&index=34

Feel free to PM me any questions!!
Old February 21, 2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Vance

I bought a Lee Pro 1000 once. Yes you can load good ammo on it. I didn't like it. I sold it. I bought a Lee Load Master. Yes you can load good ammo on it. I didn't like it. I sold it. I bought a Dillon Square Deal B. You can load awesome ammo on it. I liked it and I kept it.

My experience with the Lee progressives were that you had to constantly fiddle with them to get them to work. The primer feed in both were poor designs and do not work well at all. I also could not get Lee to admit that there was anything wrong with the primer systems. Yet shortly after I sold the loadmaster, they redesigned the primer feed on it.

The dillon Square Deal B I bought did have one problem with the primer feed. Dillon replaced the entire press because nothing they suggested over the phone worked to fix it. I haven't had any more trouble with that press and have not had to fiddle with it at all to get it to work. It was worth the extra money to me to avoid the Lee progressive frustration.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:14 PM   #9
highbrow

They good if you get them set up and keep an eye on things, especially the primer level.
Then don't mess with it. I have loaded about 10K 45 acp on mine in the last year with minimal trouble. Watch "San Francisco Liberal With a Gun" on Youtube for all your Pro 1000 needs.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old February 21, 2013, 10:23 PM   #10
shootniron

I have had them for 20yrs, have 2 now, and don't let anyone fool you...they are a problem. They will allow you to reload progressively as cheap as it can be done from an equipment expenditure standpoint, but there is still a cost in terms of aggravation. I now have a Dillon on the bench next to them and I wish I would have just taken the plunge all those years ago...NO comparison.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:18 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
I don't like the chain pull and switched to the 'Auto Disk' from the 'Pro Auto Disk' and added the Adjustable Bar.
You do know, don't you, that you can get a couple cheap parts from Lee and convert the Pro Auto Disk from the pull chain to the spring operated system. That's what I did when I took mine off my Pro 1000 to get my Classic Turret running.

The adjustable charge bar I had trouble with, when I tried to use it. It didn't seem to want to slide out enough to actually dump powder down the chute.

Still got the Pro Auto Disk? I might be interested in it, to get my Pro 1000 back running (if I decide to sell it).
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "