The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2013, 10:05 PM   #1
4T4MAG

22-250 Brass/load/bolt head

I am working on my loads for my Savage 22-250. I noticed carbon/black right at the base of the neck before. It is a factory barrel, is this carbon residue due to the slightly larger neck chamber on the barrel? The loaded cases loan and eject with no issues. It does the same thing regardless of the brass, Lapua, Win, Rem, Horn Etc. My guess this is either large chamber or when my powder burns it is not burning fast enough. I am using 33.6 varget.

Also, on the head stamp I am getting some abrasion from the bolt face. It is a Savage factory bolt head. Could this be corrected by getting a new bolt head like a PTG? Does the Savage action really benefit from truing?

I am not noticing any pressure signs.
I have included a pict of the neck, case head and my latest target. (Should I be complaining @ 200yds?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neck.jpg (229.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Case Head.jpg (226.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Shot.jpg (87.3 KB, 31 views)
Old February 23, 2013, 12:53 PM   #2
4T4MAG

I guess I am either asking dumb questions, not asking it correctly or these issues have never been seen before? I am certain that it's not the latter.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The pcitures of the neck look like either low pressure or a dirty chamber.

The other picture, well, you need to find your camera's "Macro" setting. It's too out of focus to tell.

The group, hell, if that's 200 yards, shut up and shoot.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4
4T4MAG

In this pict there is a circular abrasion ring right through the "WIN and REM" words. I am guessing it's a bolt head issue. I am wondering if anyone has any comments on the Pacific Tool bolt head replacement?

I think it could be low pressure, I am loading about mid range for a 55 grn with 33.6 grn of Varget.

Is the linear bullet tracking do to the heat of my barrel, or do I need to learn how to hold the damn thing still?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Casehead.jpg (147.3 KB, 13 views)
Old February 23, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
snuffy

The scraping of the brass on the head is caused by the shell staying stationary while the bolt head is rotated. Most bolt guns will do this to varying degrees. You might have a small burr on the boltface that is doing it.

As for the necks, quit nit-picking! I don't see a problem, but it's hard to see much detail from that fuzzy pic. The carbon is simply powder gases that did NOT get sealed by expansion of the neck out against the chamber. That MIGHT be an indication of a too low pressure load.

None of this will cause any problems with reloading that brass. A trip through the tumbler will erase the carbon. Take a long, up close look at the boltface for a burr or a high spot that you might be able to dress down flat.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 23, 2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Snuffy.

The "drag marks" on the head might be caused by the brass needing to be sized also. If the shoulder if being pressed solid against the chamber it will put a lot of force on the head against the bolt too. Size the shoulder back 1 or 2 thousandths.