The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 11:02 PM   #26
tcritter

I was at gander mountain today and they had a remington R1 enhanced and several ruger sr1911. Prices where not great but they did have them. The salesman laughed at me when I asked about a colt, he said he hasnt seen one for a long time
Old February 16, 2013, 11:36 PM   #27
Eric M.

You would be wise to start off with a Remington R1 or Springfield Range Officer.
Colt holds value better, but out of the box the RO will shoot just as well if you reload for it.
Trust me, the groups that I get with my RO at 25yds match my Kimber Custom Target II and will do just as well as a Colt out of the box unless you send the Colt in for custom tuning. My Colt shooting friends would testify to this.
Save some money, and then see what you want.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old February 16, 2013, 11:38 PM   #28
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT
Second choice would be one of the Kimbers that go through their custom shop.
Kimber doesn't have a Custom Shop. It's a non-sequittor of a roll mark on their guns.

Find a reputable dealer online and find an old 1911 or 1911A1 used in WWI or WWII. It's a stretch to find one in good shootable condition for $1,300. But they do pop up from time to time. Other than that, I wouldn't buy anything else out there for that budget and fully expect it to be a viable investment.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 17, 2013, 12:04 AM   #29
TxFlyFish

I thought its because nobody can confirm whether they truly have a custom shop or not. Which leads to the question...does Sig have a "real" custom shop
Old February 17, 2013, 12:13 AM   #30
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Call them up and ask if they actually have a separate, true custom shop. I'll save you the dime. They don't.

Now, call someone, say, Springfield and ask the same question. I'll save you another dime. They do.

Sig? I don't have an answer for you. I never have owned any of their products nor have I dealt with their customer relations departments.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 17, 2013, 01:27 AM   #31
Topthis

While I wouldn't say that they have been a great investment...my 1911's have all gone up in value since I purchased them, but it's probably more due to this Gun Ban hype etc. I paid $950 for my Dan Wesson CBOB, it was their first run also my DW Guardian was $1,300 when I bought it, now I see them going for about $1900 ea. My Les Baer Custom Carry was $1300 and my Monolith Commanche was $1600...both are around $1900ea. I can't wait until things cool down again and get normal...I want a 1911 in 9mm.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:07 PM   #32
HKFan9

Prices of new ones may go up due to demand and or inflation.. but you can't expect getting 100% for your used one as resell value.

At least not under normal circumstances.... right now with all the hype people are buying AR's and other high cap guns at astronomical prices compared to before Xmas.

However your standard single stack 1911's aren't affected by the high capacity scare so I don't know how yours would fare in the mix.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:07 PM   #33
KyJim

Quote:
I paid $950 for my Dan Wesson CBOB, it was their first run also my DW Guardian was $1,300 when I bought it, now I see them going for about $1900 ea. My Les Baer Custom Carry was $1300 and my Monolith Commanche was $1600...both are around $1900ea. I can't wait until things cool down again and get normal...I want a 1911 in 9mm.
Part of the price increase on the Dan Wessons is due to a fire that burned down their assembly facility in November. This has caused a temporary shortage. They'll hopefully get back in production in March, though I don't know when supplies will actually catch up to demand.

On the Les Baers, I haven't seen a new LB for $1300 for sometime. Keep in mind that 1911s are particularly sensitive to costs of metal (steel). The polymer guns, not so much.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.